NVIDIA's new ARM CPU? (Project Denver)

Press release: http://www.slashgear.com/nvidias-pro...ters-05123583/

My first reaction was: HOLY SHIT!
    What do you fellow tech geeks think? Can NVIDIA make it and actually threaten Intel and AMD's control over the PC CPU market?
    Given the rumors of Windows supporting ARM CPUs soon, I think we're in for a very interesting tech war.
    Game on I say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do want.

NAO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellphantine View Post
    "Rock Knocker"
    as in Rock Knocker Hellphantine
    Spend 100+ hours melee dpsing under a boss' testicles.
    - From the create your own title thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    soon as they are available,I'll be dumping my support for Intel

I hope you realize ARM CPU's are meant for tablets, netbooks and other low power devices, and are not meant for desktop computers.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

more compitition and innovation is allways good for the costumer, big thumbs up, if only we can get a third competitor in the GPU market

@Vess
    Of course they are, for now! That's the point of Project Denver, NVIDIA is planning on bringing ARM architecture to the PC.
    It's a bold move, and there are a lot of obstacles that I'm interested to see how NVIDIA can overcome, like the HUGE amount of x86 based applications that are already being used, and are the actual reason for Microsoft's OS market monopoly, that have to be either rewritten or somehow emulated.
    But yet again, NVIDIA must have a plan, and I'm very much interested to see.
    More from NVIDIA's website: http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/proj...-of-computing/

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    @Vess
    Of course they are, for now! That's the point of Project Denver, NVIDIA is planning on bringing ARM architecture to the PC.
    My comment was aimed more towards the people who were going to replace their Intels with it asap. That's not gonna happen, but Tegra(2) looks damn awesome for things like linux, netbooks, tablets and HTPCs.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    My comment was aimed more towards the people who were going to replace their Intels with it asap. That's not gonna happen, but Tegra(2) looks damn awesome for things like linux, netbooks, tablets and HTPCs.
    as soon as Nvidia has a model for desktop PC's,I will dump Intel....Intel shafted Nvidia by not allowing them to produce their own chipsets/mobo's for Nehalem

Quote Originally Posted by Kellytm3 View Post
    as soon as Nvidia has a model for desktop PC's,I will dump Intel....Intel shafted Nvidia by not allowing them to produce their own chipsets/mobo's for Nehalem
    They shafted Nvidia, not you.

I will purchase what best suits my needs at the time and of course, which is the best value for money ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    I hope you realize ARM CPU's are meant for tablets, netbooks and other low power devices, and are not meant for desktop computers.
    Right, but it also shows that Nvidia is capable of engineering something other than a GPU. It means Intel and AMD aren't the only engineering talent on the block anymore and Nvidia is making a real run at the two of them. This is important because Sandy Bridge is going to take a giant bite out of Nvidia's low-end video chipset market with it's integrated GPU. Nvidia just became viable in a new market and that's going to mean only good things for their business long-term.

Honestly, I think it's a really good step for Nvidia. They're showing their engineering team is flexible enough to come up with an ARM compatible core that's planned to be something more than just an ARM clone. Nvidia could manage to stick around long enough to compete with Intel and AMD in the CPU market in the long term now...and they didn't have to do it through acquisition like AMD did with ATI.

And to answer Harith, what are you talking about? Third competitor in the GPU market? Intel, Nvidia and AMD? I count three major players in the GPU market. Intel isn't working on the high-end GPU market but they ship more and make more money in GPUs than Nvidia and AMD combined.

Deleted
    This is a flamewar in the making. Constructive feedback is welcome, but I'm closing it it with a lack of constructive feedback. Simple AMD vs Nvidia/Intel posts are not allowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia's entry into the cpu market was known a couple years ago.When they bought out part of VIA,that gave Nvidia access to the license for x86,without having to directly deal with Intel.I love Intel and have always used their cpu's,but Im sure Nvidia will have a great setup when using all of their products on the same platform.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if this will rival AMDs Bulldozer. Is ARM a completely new technology or is it old? If so, someone explain :P im curious
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellphantine View Post
    "Rock Knocker"
    as in Rock Knocker Hellphantine
    Spend 100+ hours melee dpsing under a boss' testicles.
    - From the create your own title thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dranx View Post
    I wonder if this will rival AMDs Bulldozer. Is ARM a completely new technology or is it old? If so, someone explain :P im curious
    It won't, and it's old.

ARM sells CPUs for low power hardware that needs to run long time on battery without any special cooling required. Around 90% of all current mobile phones run on ARM processors, including iPhone/iPad/iPods, Nintendo DS too, as well as huge pile of other embedded hardware. In pure numbers more ARM CPUs have been sold so far than Intel or AMD in last ten years.

Low power devices, not a competition for desktop computers that are needed to run games like WoW.
    Trolling should be.

Just so people know, this is not NVIDIA making a new CPU that will make you drop intel/AMD silicon asap. This is more like the Blu-ray/HD-DVD war with a twist.
    NVIDIA seeks to re-introduce ARM based cores to the CPU market by customizing its own chip to run high performance PCs, servers, etc.
    As great as it sounds, huge changes like that don't happen overnight, markets usually resist huge changes like this one. In my opinion, NVIDIA has to make sure it has a 'killer app' for its new platform, or at least guarantee almost perfect backward compatibility (Which some say possible, some say impossible, I guess program devs will decide).

All in all, I love me some new competition. Go get em NVIDIA. Hopefully we get better stuff from Intel and AMD if NVIDIA lives up to it.