Whats wrong with my dps...

Ive played destro for all of WotLK. i recently went demo because halfus, magmaw and such require some aoe and demo can bring that. i was just kind of upset with my single target dps in BH (with glyph of LoP and succubus). im stuck at 11.6k and cant get past that(13k in heroics). idk if its just my gear or what?

Names broflex on us armory.

Demo, Using Succy? Try useing your felguard.

Your not using Improved Soul fire...
    Your not using LoP Glyph, Not that demo should anyway...

Thats the most obvious things I can see from an armory check.

Next thing to look for is to check your rotational uptimes.

Are you keeping Immolate up at all times?
    Are you keeping Hand of Guldan on CD at all times?
    Are you Keeping Bane up?
    Are you keeping Curse up?
    Are you Using Molten core asap?
    Are you taking advantage of Decimation when it comes into effect?

Then you got to look at the fights mechanics. BH (Baradins Hold I assume) has the run out of fires phase which can screw the pooch for some of your abilities. Demo is particuarly sensitive to Miss timed hand casts and molten core procs at the worst times.

Your biggest DPS Gain I can see would be to spec into Improved soul fire. It sucks I know but 15% haste is godly for all specs, Demo Most of all. And look at it this way, you chain cast it with decimation anyway.

i was yelled at and kicked the other day for not using a succy. "dude wtf ur a demo lock and u get a 200 dps gain from succy with LoP. l2play scrub." so i looked into it an elitist jerks did say that succy was a dps increase.

i do the things u posted. i facepalmed when i saw i wasnt specced into ISF. thanks for pointing that out.

Im also realizing that although my dps is 2nd or 3rd on charts but, my damage done is like 5th. is this because of me trying to reach hit cap and missing out on things like mastery and int?

I have to lol at this, never heard anyone say a succy is a dps gain over the reason your demo and using a felguard...

wow

Demon Choice:
    Recent findings in the Simulationcraft for Warlocks thread, and specifically this post show that the Succubus, together with the [Glyph of Lash of Pain] provides an increase of ~200 DPS as opposed to the Felguard and the [Glyph of Incinerate].

Therefore, at this current time (21st December 2010), Your demon of choice will be the Succubus and you will replace the [Glyph of Incinerate] with the [Glyph of Lash of Pain] as the 3rd Prime Glyph.

I didnt believe it at first either. but this is straight from elitist jerks. they dont really lie often.

I have heard a few mention that Succy is a dps increase. My Felguard is my demo minion, I have alot more usefull things on the Fel (stun, AoE).

Yes, you need to get improved soul fire. I am also specced into Corruption, and have Glyph of Corruption.
    Make sure you are hit capped 17% for raids ( there was interesting post around before about hit cap not being king. Its worth a read so I will let you decide if you want to stack hit or intellect now).

Macro in FelStorm and Rain of Fire, and make sure you use Demonic Empowerment when its off CD. This AoE is so OP, blizz have even addmited it needs a nerf, so use it while it lasts!

For single target, Macro in Demonic Empowerment to some of your rotation spells (Immolate, Shadowbolt, Soul Fire e.g.).

You may get errors from the macros so you will need to add in another code to make it shush. (Cannot remember it right now. At work atm).

Edit: yes, should have wrote Demon Soul instead of DE. Trying to type faster than I can think. Sorry broflexing
    Last edited by SergeantStripes89; 2011-01-06 at 02:12 PM.

For me the succubus is worth over 1k more dps - not sure how simcraft works that out, but hey. Anyhow, to really excel at demo you need to be good at timing and priorities. You need to have the priority list cemented in your brain. There are lots of things to manage and on many GCDs you will have to make quick decisions, especially when ISF is about to drop off. I want to point you to a couple of threads that I think will really help you, the first especially:

http://soulfired.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/85/
    http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t110366-..._demon_within/

It has taken me a while to really get the grasp of demo and to really get the most out of it - it seems at the moment it only excels on aoe fights - I play it full time and don't have much trouble topping the meter and getting ranked on WoL but then again the difference between my damage and the top affliction or destro locks on a lot of fights is just massive - not sure what's going on there (though no bloodlust in my group). That said I managed over 17k on Argaloth last night so there's alot you could be doing better, and I'm sure you'll do great with some tips.

ISF really does help your damage, that will give you a boost. I notice your gear isn't reforged optimally - you should basically follow this rule:

If you aren't hit capped, reforge any mastery to hit
    If an item doesn't have mastery, but it has crit, reforge crit to hit
    If an item has haste/hit, leave it

If you are hit capped, reforge any hit to haste. It is better to reforge crit to hit and hit to haste on another item because you are dropping crit for haste in this way. With your gear level you probably won't need to worry about this.

Don't wear spirit gear, get your tailoring levelled and craft the Dreamless belt. Don't gem mastery/hit in yellow sockets, gem int/haste. Your intellect is really lacking because of the lack of intellect gems. Grind your reputations and get the Ramkahen boots, Earthen Ring gloves and the Therazane shoulder enchant. Don't gem hit, you can get hit capped by reforging. Even if you're still not capped, intellect is still better than hit, so gem intellect. Drop the Improved Immolate for ISF if there isn't another source of 5% crit (shadow and flame or critical mass) in your raids. If there is, take 2 points out of S&F and put them in ISF. Glyph of Felguard should be LoP, if you prefer using the felguard, use glyph of incinerate instead, it sims better than the FG glyph.

I think that is all .

Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    For me the succubus is worth over 1k more dps -
    This sounds sweet. Will be checking this out myself tonight

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantStripes89 View Post
    I have heard a few mention that Succy is a dps increase, but ignore them. My Felguard is my demo minion, 200 dps diff is nothing and I have alot more usefull things on the Fel (stun, AoE).

Yes, you need to get improved soul fire. I am also specced into Corruption, and have Glyph of Corruption.
    Make sure you are hit capped 17% for raids ( there was interesting post around before about hit cap not being king. Its worth a read ).

Macro in FelStorm and Rain of Fire, and make sure you use Demonic Empowerment when its off CD. This AoE is so OP, blizz have even addmited it needs a nerf, so use it while it lasts!

For single target, Macro in Demonic Empowerment to some of your rotation spells (Immolate, Shadowbolt, Soul Fire e.g.).

You may get errors from the macros so you will need to add in another code to make it shush. (Cannot remember it right now. At work atm).
    200 dps difference is not nothing, if you're serious about raiding anyway. Speccing into corruption and using the corruption glyph is a dps loss, provide some proof maybe? :S.

I personally don't macro felstorm - too many fights have target switches and I want my felguard where he needs to be before using felstorm. But that's debatable. DE doesn't work the same way any more - you don't even need to spec into it, it's mostly a PvP talent anyway. Macro Rain of Fire, what?!

sergent
    I took Demonic Empowerment off my bars...isnt it now just like a pvp trinket for my felguard? i guess u mean Demon soul maybe?

jenerena
    Links helped a lot. didnt know about the soulfired one, thanks. and yes i was in a little bit of a bind were my hit chance was 10% and was heading to start progression last monday. had to quick gem/reforge/enchant hit so i wouldnt miss and look like and idiot.

I interchanged felguard and LoP and switched between felguard and succy. Felguard was still up there from the magmaw, halfus aoe fights were felguard felstorm was pretty key.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    200 dps difference is not nothing, if you're serious about raiding anyway. Speccing into corruption and using the corruption glyph is a dps loss, provide some proof maybe? :S.

I personally don't macro felstorm - too many fights have target switches and I want my felguard where he needs to be before using felstorm. But that's debatable. DE doesn't work the same way any more - you don't even need to spec into it, it's mostly a PvP talent anyway. Macro Rain of Fire, what?!
    200dps is minimal, but thats my opinon, I am not serious about raiding at the moment.

I prefer Destro myself. My Demo spec is more me toying around in 5 mans with a need for AoE, Kiting, etc, sowill switch talents to remove my corruption and see what its like

I have macro'd Rain of Fire to Felstorm, which on fights got me around 25k dps, so don't knock it until you try it. Not raiding yet so no idea what its like in raids.
    Last edited by SergeantStripes89; 2011-01-06 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by broflexing View Post
    I interchanged felguard and LoP and switched between felguard and succy. Felguard was still up there from the magmaw, halfus aoe fights were felguard felstorm was pretty key.
    Yea that's what you should be doing. I was just saying that the incinerate glyph actually sims better than the felguard glyph with the felguard as your pet. With the succy, LoP glyph wins over both of those.

Deleted
    The guys at EJ uses simcraft to decide what's better and what's not.
    Shame that for example they never noticed that Glyph of Corruption was better than Glyph of Incinerate for demo (according to simcraft at least).
    Or that every result is given for a fight Patchwerk with 0 adds. Results change a lot when switching to Helter Skelter (simulation of fight with movement and stuns) or adds are enabled (haste becomes the worst stat and mastery the best).
    In a fight with even one add, dps goes up by thousands when using FG instead of Succubus. For single target, using a Succy instead of FG the gain is one or two hundreds. Moreover, in a fight with adds, you find yourself having Decimation up quite often and Demon Soul: Succubus is wasted in that cases.
    Demo simcraft profile even includes Shadowflame. Ok, I stay in melee range to use it. Now tell me, what's my dps loss when I must move away from the boss AoE and I cannot cast anything?

td; dnr: Take simcraft results with a grain of salt.

With ISP. is it still worth hard casting it? Or just ment for decimation and soul burn?
    and for the corruption being better dps. what would u get rid of in the destro tree in order to spec into improved corruption as a 3/31/7 spec
    Last edited by BRO90X; 2011-01-06 at 03:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    With ISP. is it still worth hard casting it? Or just ment for decimation and soul burn?
    and for the corruption being better dps. what would u get rid of in the destro tree in order to spec into improved corruption as a 3/31/7 spec
    Improved Soulfire is still worth it even if you have to slow hardcast. It's that important.

To spec into corruption (if that is your wish) you want to look into trimming your spec overall, not just one tree. Are your pets dying a lot? They shouldn't be with proper management. If they aren't really dying then drop demonic rebirth. Also I find tanks typically have enough aggro that a stun with HoG isn't really needed thus I would drop Aura of Foreboding. But that's just me. That lets you put 2 points into ISF. Take 1 point away from Shadow and flame, and that should leave you 3 points to put into Imp Corr.
    Last edited by Zoots; 2011-01-06 at 04:14 PM.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    To spec into corruption (if that is your wish) you want to look into trimming your spec overall, not just one tree. Are your pets dying a lot? They shouldn't be with proper management. If they aren't really dying then drop demonic rebirth. Also I find tanks typically have enough aggro that a stun with HoG isn't really needed thus I would drop Aura of Foreboding. But that's just me. That lets you put 2 points into ISF. Take 1 point away from Shadow and flame, and that should leave you 3 points to put into Imp Corr.
    so now ur left with nothing in shadow and flame and emberstorm?

15+ Year Old Account
    Succubus > Felguard single target
    Felguard > Succubus as soon as you can Felstorm more than one target at a time

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    so now ur left with nothing in shadow and flame and emberstorm?
    huh, the armory must have been bugging out on me (thanks blizz).

Here is the current theoritical highest dps demo spec.

http://wowtal.com/#k=-AL79AF4.a8t.warlock

Glyphs:

Prime Glyphs:

* [Glyph of Metamorphosis]
    * [Glyph of Immolate]
    * [Glyph of Lash of Pain]

Major Glyphs:

* [Glyph of Life Tap]
    * [Glyph of Shadow Bolt]
    * Individual's Choice

Minor Glyphs:

* Individual's Choice
    * Individual's Choice
    * Individual's Choice

Corruption is good but isn't specced for. You pick up the Lash of Pain Glyph instead of Incenerate as that works with your succubus for the dps increase over felguard. How long that's gonna last is anybodies guess. Also what gherkin said above me.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...