Is Tailoring still worthwhile?

In Wrath, Tailoring was a great for the cloak enchant, giving shadow priests a slight edge. But I can't find anywhere that compares the new Lightweave buff to the new cloak enchants and I don't know how to figure out the EP values myself.

So, does anyone know if Tailoring is still worthwhile keeping or if I should dump it in favour of another profession (thinking Enchanting).

its still the best profession for warlocks, so im assuming the same goes for spriests

The lightweave enchant is sexy. It does have a decent amount of upkeep time (15 secs per min it seems). I personally wouldn't drop a profession to pick it up but if you already have tailoring, stick with it.

the leg embroideries will save you thousands of gold.

Thousands.

It's the best profession you can have

10+ Year Old Account
    Very interested in a descent answer to this question. I'm currently in doubt whether to keep JC on my priest, or dump it and level Tailoring.
    My priest currently has JC+Enchanting, powerleveled JC when it was introduced with TBC, but since the start of WotLK it just don't like leveling that profession..(wasn't even able to create epic gems at the end of WotLK, only the Dragonseye-gems that were useful for my priest)...

Compared to other professions (jewelcrafting, alchemy), tailors don't get any bop items they can craft, but the cloak and leg enchantments are good, considering neither of those cost a lot.

I would never drop JC for Tailoring. I currently running JC & Tailoring, but it seems like you would like to keep Enchanting. In this case, I think the professions you have are fine.

I'm a tailor, but not a very good one. I do find it useful. especially being a priest. However, I did find Herbalism/Alchemy easier all around, from leveling to selling goods on the AH.

That being said any crafter profession (BS, LW, Tailoring) while not the strongest money makers, can still make serious money. A hunter in my guild is Tailoring/Enchanting and makes a lot of money from the epic items. Seems there's always somebody playing catch up when raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemkin View Post
    Very interested in a descent answer to this question. I'm currently in doubt whether to keep JC on my priest, or dump it and level Tailoring.
    My priest currently has JC+Enchanting, powerleveled JC when it was introduced with TBC, but since the start of WotLK it just don't like leveling that profession..(wasn't even able to create epic gems at the end of WotLK, only the Dragonseye-gems that were useful for my priest)...
    It seems that you have two very expensive professions to level. Jewelcrafting is insanely expensive if you don't have mining, or at least a toon with mining. Enchanting isn't too bad, because you can DE quest items that you don't need.

Tailoring atm isn't too teribly difficult to level, but near the end it requires a lot of cloth, and quite a few volatiles. I'm not sure how much you get stat-wise for the three jc gems compared to the cheap pants/cloak enchants from tailoring.

Deleted
    Right, Tailoring as I understand it has the following to say for it:

Money - its not bad currently. BoE Epics sell well, as do the spellthreads. I'm currently making more gold from tailoring (by a long way) than I am off of enchanting on my warlock.

Gear/Usefulness - It *is* going to be cheaper to get the BoE epics by making them yourself. Since dreamcloth is BoP and most clothies with the recipies are... trying to recoup the cost of levelling tailoring. And those belts are either BiS or 2nd to BiS pre-raid for afaik pretty much every cloth class. Now on to the cloak, as I understand it, the maths on lightweave shows it as being equivalent to a 143int constant bonus over a straight non-tailor +50 int 'chant... and thats the biggest int buff of any profession (figures leached from my memory of the DESTRO WARLOCK post on Elitist Jerks... YMMV as a priesty) - the alternatives being a constant 50 int, 23 haste or 65 crit (assuming you want to burn *5* Maelstroms on a cloak enchant...)

I dunno much about shadowpriest gearing (my priestly alt is pure holy) - but iirc, crit isnt fantastic for spriests, and I think you'll probably go for the 50 int enchant anyhow over the haste... in which case, why *wouldnt* you want tailoring? Its a better int increase than any other prof (next highest I've seen is LW guestimated at 100 int)

The Epic Belt and Legs are really worth while, also the claok enchant and the Leg enchant save quite abit of Gold atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    It seems that you have two very expensive professions to level. Jewelcrafting is insanely expensive if you don't have mining, or at least a toon with mining. Enchanting isn't too bad, because you can DE quest items that you don't need.
    Currently leveling my first alt (DK, 82 now), which has mining+engineering. Saving all the ores i gather to make up my mind about JC on my priest. If i stick to JC, i'll prospect ores to get more gems, otherwise i'm using the ores to level engineering on my alt..

I'm not that worried about volatiles tbh, got an 82 alt with mining (DK), an 80 rogue with mining+skinning, and an 81 hunter with herbing+alchemy.

Deleted
    Currently running with Tailoring and LW on my priest.

They both provide a decent profit + I save tonnes of gold on cloak/leg enchants.

Tailoring is worth leveling, without a doubt, expensive, but totally worth it.

I'm a tailor. Not a particularly happy one, but I am content.

- I ended up buying my epic belt from the AH. It simply cost me less than making it myself. (5k gold for a belt! a steal!)
    - As a healer, the fact that there are two epic legs, but none of them carry spirit, annoys me to no end.
    - The leg enchant and cloak enchants are great moneysavers. You can make money selling leg enchants.
    - Most tailor made goods is very crappy. By the time I had enough cloth to make the higher level recipes, I had run so many instances that all of it was outdated by a wide margin. Don't expect any levelling perks from tailoring.
    - The cataclysm tailoring net does damage. VERY low damage.
    - Getting all those volatiles is very expensive. Water is the one you will need the most.
    - You can sell epics on the AH if you do lots of heroics. But I don't really want to... too painful to pug these days.
    - Lightweave is indeed sexy.

But without a doubt, fishing is my primary profession these days. I found that tailoring and fishing is a great mix. By fishing tol barad schools (shipwreck pools <3) , you usually end up with an insane amount of cloth. Tailors can make good use of this. Fishing also gives you an abundant supply of volatile water, which tailors need in great amounts. That said, I find more profits in just selling the cloth these days than to make anything myself...