Thread: Mushrooms buff?

Mushrooms buff?

Didn t they say in a blue post that they were going to buff our magic mushrooms cause they were some kind of useless?
    I am only hoping that that buff isn t only the increased range on fungal growth, it would be a lot meh :S

Did they say anything on it? missed something?
    lvl 85 troll druid - Balance pvp&pve, resto pvp&pve
    lvl 85 troll mage - Frost/Fire
    lvl 80 troll rogue - Ass/Sub
    lvl 80 troll shaman - Ele/resto
    lvl 85 orc hunter - Sv/MM

Live the good side of life, think optimistic, they aren't going to nerf you <xD

Wild Mushrooms is the biggest waste of time.
    I tried to work it in to use but it's just a pointless spell.

They're good in a few situations. The best i've found so far is maloriak. Put them on the spot your tanks will tank the adds at before the fight, then during green phase, detonate them. I had my three mushrooms hit for a combined 451k in 1 gcd. Pretty useful if you ask me :-) Also, before every pull, put them under the boss, or a spot where the boss will run to. Exploding all three is a dps increase since it only takes the 1 gcd since you planted them beforehand. Another useful spot, if you have fungal growth talented (which i don't personally, but most booms do) is the worms on magmaw. Throw the mushrooms under their spawn point as they're spawning, then detonate. The slow helps if you happen to not have a hunter's frost trap down, and the damage is respectable, tho not amazing certainly.
    Last edited by Leynal; 2011-01-06 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    Useless for everyone except MARGINALLY boomkins. As a tanking tool it's useless in bear form. Even Stampeding Roar has set to see a use for something. Any boss fight where you have to run somewhere is easily achiveable on foot normally.

They need to remove the gcd for dropping them so we can use them on the run and just have a gcd for detonate. Otherwise this is a waste of time.

Deleted
    I wrote a rather lengthy post about Wild Mushroom on my blog as well as on the WoW forums. I guess I'll copy it here:

Troubles with shrooms (aka Why shrooms suck)

•Has to be manually placed with the mouse three times for maximum effect
    •Must be detonated manually when target(s) are right on top of of the mushrooms
    •Has a very small range and moving mobs have a high chance of getting out of range

In some situations, it is beneficial to be able to place Wild Mushroom ahead of time. If you know that a group of mobs is going to be in a specific spot, then you can make sure they are greeted by a couple of shrooms for quick and easy damage. This works quite well in PvP as well, as a tactical tool to protect flags, bases and choke points.

But while placing the shrooms manually might have its benefits in some cases, there are plenty where it does not. Because of the delay from placing the mushrooms and actually detonating them, enemies can easely avoid them by sidestepping for half a second. That is, if you manage to place the targeting reticule quickly enough.

Obviously, Wild Mushrooms can’t have a 30 yard range. That would be too powerful with any amount of damage from them. But with the current mechanics – or rather, limitations – of Wild Mushroom, they are rarely worth using compared to more conventional damage and crowd control abilities.

Let us compare the mushrooms to a hunter trap. Both can be placed at a distance, but while the hunter trap detonates when it is hit by an enemy, Wild Mushroom must be triggered in the one second it takes for a monster or character to run over it. If a group of mob triggers a hunter trap, they will all be hit by it, but if a Wild Mushroom is triggered near a group of mobs, only those very close to the mushroom will be affected by the damage.

Add to that the actual damage that Wild Mushroom can produce, and they are hard to compare against a hunter trap – an instant cast trap versus manually placing three mushrooms over the course of three seconds and then having to carefully time the detonation.

Proposed solutions

With all this, I feel that the damage from Wild Mushroom, compared to the restrictions through gameplay that the spell has, doesn’t quite match. I feel that at least one of the variables, possibly two, has to be changed: Damage, range, targeting system, detonation.

•Increased damage: The damage should be relative to how easy the spell is to work with. Currently it is hard to get a good couple of mushrooms off, but the payoff is very low. With the increased difficulty, there should be an increased damage. And there is absolutely no argument for using Wild Mushroom on a single target boss fight, especially if there is just a little bit of boss movement involved.
    •Increased range: I find that anywhere between 5-10 yards on each mushroom is acceptable. With a 3 yard range, you might put down three mushrooms, and not be guaranteed that they will all hit every mob in an AOE pack. Just a slight increase to this could be enough to make the range of the spell unbearable.
    •Change of targeting system: This is a change that could possibly be applied to all ground based AOE attacks that feature a targeting reticule. If you have no current target, the game offers you the targeting reticule as always. But if you have a target, the AOE will automaticly be cast with that target in its center. This could apply to mages, warlocks, death knights, hunters and ofcourse moonkins, affecting our Wild Mushroom, but also Force of Nature and Hurricane. Should we want to set up the effect away from our target, we can simply de-select our target and return to using the targeting reticule.
    •Automatic detonation: Wild Mushrooms could be set on a timer to detonate automaticly. This suggestion obviously offers some trouble, as this takes away the possibility to trigger Wild Mushroom manually. The automatic detonation could be upon contact with an enemy, as it is with hunter traps, or it could simply be after a few seconds. Automatic detonation would often assure that the mushrooms doesn’t go completely to waste.

In my oppinion, we need a total of three changes to make Wild Mushroom a very fun and enjoyable ability. First, the damage needs to be scaled up a bit. Second, the range should be between 5-10 yards. If they could be placed automaticly on your target, if you have one, that would make this version of Wild Mushrooms good in PvP and decent in PvE.

But in order to fix Wild Mushrooms completely, and make it an absolutely fantasticly fun ability to use, I suggest one more change with the others, that will make it a great addition to PvE, be it single target or AOE:

We need a Glyph of Wild Mushrooms. Something that combines the three mushrooms into one, or even just give us an effect of some grassy, mossy parts on the ground. It needs a longer coolddown and increased damage. It will be dropped on our current target, so that it is useful on a single target boss fight, and the damage it does should be high enough to make us want to use it relatively often. This will basicly turn Wild Mushroom into a single target ability, but one that is placed on the ground, much like a landmine or the like. This ability could easely have a 3 yard radius, to avoid being misused for AOE. We then have the option of going 3x Shrooms for AOE and PvP, or 1x Shroom for single target damage.

Possible names could be Bed of Fungus, Nature’s Retaliation or Qieth’s Angry Patch of Grass (this).

Deleted
    Bearspective (see what I did there?):

I like the idea of managing complex pulls with shrooms. I just wish I could do more with them. Here is a list of things that would make me use them way more:

- Being able to detonate them in bear form. Easy. Why not? Design or implementation issue?
    - Them having a threat modifier (when detonated in bear form) comparable to a TotT or a misdirection. Some "real" threat, that I can rely on.
    - Having a longer range than 40. For example, I would like to be able to pull the last boss of the Stonecore without aggroeing the adds, in order to facilitate that pull for achievement purpose. I think given the fact that I need to cast in human form, then detonate, a 60-y pull wouldn't be OP. I may be wrong on that of course, I am not thinking of all situations.
    - Having some leniency over the LoS. Too often, I think of a great pull with them (like in SFK's kitchens and dining room) only to find that it's all going down because I can't cast them over the [whatevercrappythingisblockingLoS]. Not talking shrooms through walls here. Just some leniency.

I do think it is a cool spell IDEA. Unlinke the dev team, however, I also think it is not a cool spell yet. It still feels unfinished and underpowered, not from a numbers perspective, but from a "I want to push that button" perspective.

I know Blizzard dislikes comparisons between classes, but I think this one serves a purpose. When I see abilities like Smoke Cloud, Heroic Leap, Priests' grip, etc. I see buttons that are great to push for fun. It may be that some of these abilities are actually valuable, and some less, but they are all incredibly fun. Mushrooms have that potential, but it looks like design is shy about them. Shy to give them real damage, or real utility, or real "omg have you just seen that?" for lack of a better word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude what are you talkin about, wild mushrooms are GREAT

for confusing the piss out of people in your group cuz hardly anyone has even seen them before. Lol seriously I drop them when I'm bored waiting for pulls, I can't tell you how many times I've dropped them on a person and had them take off running in fear, then ask WTF is that from!?? Did we aggro something!?! Really the spell is equally useful as /dance.
    Last edited by Wiyld; 2011-01-06 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post

for confusing the piss out of people in your group cuz hardly anyone has even seen them before. Lol seriously I drop them when I'm bored waiting for pulls, I can't tell you how many times I've dropped them on a person and had them take off running in fear, then ask WTF is that from!?? Did we aggro something!?! Really the spell is equally useful as /dance.

Nice. I'm thinking I'd love to see a pvp video with nothing but clips of messing with people with the shrooms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha... I see how they would be fun in PvP. But last night I found them quite useful on Omnitron and dealing with the slimes from the slime guy. I would place them before the fight, because my guilds tanks are quite predictable, and would just detonate them and they really did help a lot.