Thread: A New Computer

A New Computer

Hello!

Currently, I've been looking to replace my computer, as it is 6 years old now..and a dinosaur so my friends call it. However, I am not an expert at computers, and that's why I've come here for help!

I've been looking at laptops (yes i know, laptops are not good for gaming) but I was wondering could this one possibly run WoW, even if its only low settings and 20-30 FPS?

Dell - Inspiron Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 17.3" Display / 4GB Memory, DDR3 / 500GB Hard Drive / ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 (512 MB Dedicated) / 2.53GHz

I tried to figure out what information might be useful, considering I can't link because I havent posted enough ! If it isn't enough information I could try to post more. Otherwise, if this computer just isn't capable, I have a few questions.

Are there any specific parts I should look for when buying a new computer?
    Should I particularly look at a specific brand?
    Do you have a suggested computer that I could take a look at?

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated!

Edit : I actually saw another laptop on Newegg.com Would this be able to run it fairly well?

ASUS G Series G72GX-RBBX05 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz) 17.3" 6GB DDR2 Memory 500GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M.

The major problem with this one is that its refurbished. Should I take that risk? Again, much appreciated!

EDIT 2:

Okay. So everyone is suggesting desktops. I don't mind getting a desktop if its that much better.

A friend suggested me this: (can't link the newegg link)

HP Pro 3130 (VS792UT#ABA) Intel Core i7 870(2.93GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 4550 (512MB DH) Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Is that capable of highish settings?

I'm still going through all these suggestions! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Anyla; 2011-01-06 at 11:14 AM.

I'm also building a laptop at the moment.Heres what ive got
    Windows 7 HP 15.6inch
    Intel i5 560-560M 2.66Ghz Dual Core
    1GB ATI 5650
    8GB of RAM (Free upgrade)
    640GB hardrive 5400RPM
    950 us after mail and rebate and a 50 dollar coupon i found online. Plus no payment for 6 months. and no interest if you pay it within the first 6 months

---------- Post added 2011-01-06 at 10:08 AM ----------

what is your budget btw?

My budget is about $900

Well a friend of mine got the same computer i am planning on getting and he runs WoW on ultra at 80+ FPS. You can get for 950 here if you use the coupon code 50TECHBARG. The link is to my shopping cart on HP.com let me know if it works. But anyways for about 900 that is the best deal i have found
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do

He said he was looking for a laptop... anyway, fact of the matter is, there is really not a laptop that can reliably run WoW, i used an Alienware m17x with dual 260m nvidia cards, i7 laptop processor etc, and even though it cost me near $3000 with the stats i got for it, it was unable to run properly, some of the settings just completely killed it. If you want to pay $2500-3000 for a laptop that will run on bare minimum settings and not get past 720p, then sure, you can do that, but its much better to just get a desktop... il try and find a decent one within your budget, sec

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229199

That should do it, you could get any model in that price range really, but the 460gtx is the most cost effective dx11 graphics card from nvidia (WoW has experimental dx11 support that greatly helps framerates if enabled, will probably be on automatic in 4.1 or beyond that) and an intel processor is the best to get, tests have proven that WoW works much better with intel than with AMD, aside from that, the only other thing worth mentioning is that 4gb RAM is needed, 2gb wont cut it any more for WoW with max settings
    Last edited by Naesen; 2011-01-06 at 11:07 AM.

Well i suggest you check out iBuypower(dot)com they have 2 laptop configurations which are semi customizable for obvious reasons(being a laptop and all). There in our price range and both can definitely run WoW and more on High to Max settings.

or which in my opinion is a better option, you can build a desktop from scratch as they are cheaper and a lot easier to upgrade.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesen View Post
    He said he was looking for a laptop... anyway, fact of the matter is, there is really not a laptop that can reliably run WoW, i used an Alienware m17x with dual 260m nvidia cards, i7 laptop processor etc, and even though it cost me near $3000 with the stats i got for it, it was unable to run properly, some of the settings just completely killed it. If you want to pay $2500-3000 for a laptop that will run on bare minimum settings and not get past 720p, then sure, you can do that, but its much better to just get a desktop... il try and find a decent one within your budget, sec
    Completely false, I have a m11x that runs WoW Max settings 40 FPS in 25 man raids. Also have a crappy $300 HP laptop that runs it with 20 FPS. You must have a lot of garbage on that m17x if you can't run WoW well.

But, if you want better performance for the cost go with a Desktop. I would only get a laptop if you travel a lot or game on the go.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-01-06 at 11:13 AM.

Okay. So everyone is suggesting desktops. I don't mind getting a desktop if its that much better.

A friend suggested me this: (can't link the newegg link)

HP Pro 3130 (VS792UT#ABA) Intel Core i7 870(2.93GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 4550 (512MB DH) Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Is that capable of highish settings?

I'm still going through all these suggestions! Thank you so much!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229199

Go with that if your okay with getting a desktop. It will run WoW great.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-01-06 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmolitor87 View Post
    It seems whoever linked the desktops deleted his post lol. I don't think it'll let me put in links...hrm.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229206

Closest I can get.
    Guess everyone likes those CyberpowerPC gaming desktops on Newegg's. I guess they're popular so I should get one! Haha.

Would that one be good on settings / FPS?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should be able to run max settings at 60 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    I would start learning how to build your own computers. You can make a computer for much less then what they sell them for. Could make that same $900 computer for $600 or less.
    Yeah I've heard its a lot cheaper to build your own computer. But I don't think it'd help if I was buying parts and putting in things that I don't know much about. I'd have to start learning more about computers first, which I plan to do later on .

Quote Originally Posted by Naesen View Post
    Oke wth is a decent fps for you? 60fps in raids? everything above 30 is enough to play wow in raids. And my i5 430m 5850m ati (900p) can run it at 30 with shadow on medium. Guess there is something wrong with it my friend has the old m17x before the i7 came and he runs at max fps(60) in 1080p with all on high which costed him 2k
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by mmolitor87 View Post
    ^ this. If your server is high-pop you may get more like 30 FPS in major cities, but during raids and instances and around most zones you should maintain 60~ fps. I have 2 460gtx in my computer and this is still the case for me, as wow bottlenecks a bit at 2 cards.

Newegg has A LOT of instructional posts on newegg and if you head over to eggxpert(.)com they have lots of people on the forums who spend a majority of their time helping people out to build custom computers.
    I'm definitely going to have to check that out. I'm still going to be searching around but I think I've gotten the answers that I need from this thread.

I have to go to sleep because it is 3:30 AM here! I'll check this thread again when i get up if anyone has any more suggestions or ways that I could learn about building computers, or even just learning about computers.

Thanks again for all the help to everyone who has posted here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    Completely false, I have a m11x that runs WoW Max settings 40 FPS in 25 man raids. Also have a crappy $300 HP laptop that runs it with 20 FPS. You must have a lot of garbage on that m17x if you can't run WoW well.

But, if you want better performance for the cost go with a Desktop. I would only get a laptop if you travel a lot or game on the go.
    Got it 3 years ago, hard drive had 91% free space, registry was good, no disc fragmentation, the fact of the matter is that you cant get a laptop quad core processor past about 1.2ghz while for the same price you can get an i7 950 for a desktop and overclock it to 5ghz.

---------- Post added 2011-01-06 at 11:32 AM ----------

There is also the fact that the 1920x1200 resolution setup for the m17x which you have to pay extra means you are rendering 2304000 pixels per frame instead of 921600, of course dont take that into account because resolution means nothing and only your pathetic framerates mean anything