Deleted

Is mastery useful for Destro pve warlocks?

Is mastery useful for Destro pve warlocks?

Aswell I want to ask when I'll get hit cap which stat should I get up?

Deleted
    As long as you haven't geared for hit at the cost of intelect, going for crit next would be the most logical route. Mastery is at the bottom of Destro's stat priority atm, unless you manage to get enough haste for 2 extra ticks of immolate (which is around 2635 haste rating or near there) in which case mastery takes over from haste.

so basically:

Int > Hit (17%) > Crit > Haste (<2635) > Mastery
    Int > Hit (17%) > Crit > Mastery > Haste (>2635)
    Last edited by mmocc7ae5c5557; 2011-01-06 at 12:14 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much what Nyxxi wrote... But it's not always crit > haste - reforging all your haste to crit will result most likely in dps loss - consult your simcraft.

Short answer to your question: avoid mastery untill you see some heroic raid drops (that's when the above mentioned haste value is reachable)...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkente View Post
    But it's not always crit > haste - reforging all your haste to crit will result most likely in dps loss
    Yeah sorry, missed that out. Always pay attention to all of your stats none of them should be ridiculously low but until you are fully decked out in 359 and working towards heroics, haste will usually take a back seat, and mastery will be in trunk

I know there is some sort of math behind the reason mastery is the lowest priority for stats, but does anyone care to explain it? It seems like an increase in fire damage would be as useful as say intellect. I'm not argueing against this as i know it's been prove, i've just always wondered.

Partly because Corruption and Doom are in the rotation (blah blah priority system, I know, work with me here), and they benefit shit-all from Destro's mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tevia View Post
    I know there is some sort of math behind the reason mastery is the lowest priority for stats, but does anyone care to explain it? It seems like an increase in fire damage would be as useful as say intellect. I'm not argueing against this as i know it's been prove, i've just always wondered.
    When looking at relative power, you can't just look at the mechanic. Yes, straight-up fire damage does look good on paper, but you have to look at its relative numerical value. In other words, if that mastery still increased fire damage, but only by half of the amount it does now, it would be utter crap. If it increased fire damage by 25% more than it does right now, then it'd probably be our best stat. Just gotta look at the maths.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
    When looking at relative power, you can't just look at the mechanic. Yes, straight-up fire damage does look good on paper, but you have to look at its relative numerical value. In other words, if that mastery still increased fire damage, but only by half of the amount it does now, it would be utter crap. If it increased fire damage by 25% more than it does right now, then it'd probably be our best stat. Just gotta look at the maths.
    Exactly this. It takes too much mastery to raise your damage compared to how much of the other stats it takes. It may buff fire, but not by enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    Math:
    1.25% Fire Damage = 1 Mastery = 179.28 rating
    1% Crit = 179.28 rating
    1% Haste = 128.05701 rating
    Because you already get 8 mastery from just having the ability, your dps does not go up by 1.25% per Mastery Point
    For the sake of argument, lets say you do 20k dps without mastery and you only cast fire spells.
    20,000 x 1.1 (0 mastery = 10% damage) = 22,000 dps
    20,000 x 1.1125 (1 Mastery = 11.25% Damage) = 22250
    20,000 x 1.125 (2 Mastery = 12.5% Damage) = 22500

In the first case, we gained 2000 dps from 10% fire damage, which is a straight 10% dps increase (2000 / 20000). But in the second case, you only gained 250 dps which is 1.14% dps instead of 1.25% (250 / 22000). In the third case, (250 / 22250) 1.12%. As you get more, mastery is weighted less, just like crit. Add to this fact that you have shadow damage in there from Corruption and Bane of Doom and its at or under 1% per point, diminishing as you gain more.

But now consider that you also have crit and haste. Crit increases your fire damage, which then increases the value of mastery. Haste increases the number of fire spells you cast, which increases the value of mastery. But mastery increases the size of a crit and the damage of those extra spells you fit in.

So how does it all work? Well Crit and Mastery should be close to each other in terms of stat value because they work in the same way. However, Crit increases your pet's chance to apply Burning Ember (a significant dps increase), which bumps it ahead of mastery some of the time. Haste should be valued at a lot more, because it takes much less gear to get 1%. It isn't because ISF and Backdraft randomly give us high haste values which amplifies the diminishing effects you've seen above, valuing it lower than you should expect but still at or around the Crit mark. It also fluctuates due to Conflagrate scaling from specific haste values on Immolate, sometimes valuing it much higher or much lower than average.

TLDR Mastery isn't bad for Destruction, Crit and Haste just do more than just damage.

R.I.P. YARG