Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why SS over FeS with 1 death + 1 frost/blood rune?

Unholy ofc. Say my runes look like this (the other 3 are regenerating)

D/F/U or B/D/U

Most people have told me that I should SS away the Unholy rune... which is a given. But then i'm told that the death rune should also be used on SS, rather than pairing it with the frost/blood rune for Festering. Why is this? FeS hits for maybe 80%~ of SS's damage, but pulls in 2 death runes and gives 10 more upfront rune power.

if youre talkin about pve then u shouldnt have these situations.
    you should only have either, a blood&frost and use FeS or u have death/unholy for ss

anyways, if u have one rune of each type regenerating use ss whenever u can and let the fros/bloodrune wait till theres
    the other part to fit a fes.

btw optimal solution for your situation would be deathcoilung to fasten your rune-regeneration.

because having that rune sitting there is no loss, the damage done by ss far outweighs the damage done by fes, so for one rune you get a single attack which deals more damage than the two runes.

Or you can waste that D rune by using fes, and you have consumed 2 runes for a lesser damage attack.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMGC View Post
    Unholy ofc. Say my runes look like this (the other 3 are regenerating)

D/F/U or B/D/U

Most people have told me that I should SS away the Unholy rune... which is a given. But then i'm told that the death rune should also be used on SS, rather than pairing it with the frost/blood rune for Festering. Why is this? FeS hits for maybe 80%~ of SS's damage, but pulls in 2 death runes and gives 10 more upfront rune power.
    Festering strike isn't your dps button, scourge strike is. You use festering do you can scourge more. If there's a death rune you should use it for scourge strike for higher dps.

Deleted
    Yah, but if you use Festering you do slightly less damage but get 2 death runes (to SS) which become available maybe 6-7 seconds later. Using SS gets you higher initial damage but the runes left would just turn into another festering. What am i missing?

You're missing the fact that you already used Festering Strike to get that death rune.
    As you are aware, SS does more damage than Fest Strike. So, to maximize dps you want to prioritize SS over Fest Strike. What that means is that you only want to use Fest Strike when you can not use SS, ie. only use Fest Strike on blood+frost pairs.
    If you did use Fest Strike with a Death Rune, you would greatly reduce your total number of SS's throughout the course of a fight resulting in much lower dps.
    Does that make more sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith View Post
    You're missing the fact that you already used Festering Strike to get that death rune.
    As you are aware, SS does more damage than Fest Strike. So, to maximize dps you want to prioritize SS over Fest Strike. What that means is that you only want to use Fest Strike when you can not use SS, ie. only use Fest Strike on blood+frost pairs.
    If you did use Fest Strike with a Death Rune, you would greatly reduce your total number of SS's throughout the course of a fight resulting in much lower dps.
    Does that make more sense?
    beat me too it doh

but TOMGC do you not see the obvious difference in damage as wing pointed out?
    the whole reason you earn Death Runes is to turn the non UH runes into runes you can use to MAKE them as viable as UH runes just like in every tree for DKs. same thing applies for Frost to make death runes into frost runes and Blood to make death runes into blood runes.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Deleted
    Yeah, I see how it works now.
    If you Festering the death rune, then your previous festering (that created the death rune) doesn't reach full DPS value.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you Festering the death rune, then your previous festering (that created the death rune) doesn't reach full DPS value.
    no. FS does less damage than SS per rune use.
    more SS means more damage per rune.
    FS gives you Death runes.
    Death runes can be used as UH runes.
    SS costs 1 UH rune.
    using both of the new Death runes to now make 2 more SS means you did essentially 2 SS per 1 FS meaning more damage for the same number of runes.

Festering strike doesn't change its DPS value it just took two runes to FS as opposed to 1 rune to SS.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.

Essentially, yes. I do believe you have a decent grasp on it now.
    And don't mind Avatar Killer, he's a tool. He just said "no" and then went on to elaborate in detail which all boils down to a "yes".

Its 100% situational. Getting rid of all death runes then using festering is usually the way to go unless you are opening without outbreak (meaning its on CD) which then requires you to use an unholy rune and a frost rune then a festering and waiting for that first frost rune to come of CD to use it with the first Death rune that comes off CD for another festering to then have the 4 death runes for your standard rotation.
    Smile

10+ Year Old Account
    Essentially, yes.
    essentially, yes festering strikes full dps potential falls short because you arent going to use festering strike.
    so no.

And don't mind Avatar Killer, he's a tool. He just said "no" and then went on to elaborate in detail which all boils down to a "yes".
    and don't mind Wingwraith he's a tool.
    i said no and i clearly stated how no meant no without even veering in the general direction of yes.
    But if you use wings backwards logic you would come to yes how not using FS would lower the DPS of FS.

Wingwraith is right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Wingwraith is right.
    That wouldn't make him any less of a tool

You don't have to get defensive, we can't all be right all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    That wouldn't make him any less of a tool
    I wouldn't have to come across as a tool if you would just stfu and stop posting random nonsensical crap that I need to correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't have to come across as a tool if you would just stfu and stop posting random nonsensical crap that I need to correct.
    when will you ever post facts instead of just bashing?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Wingwraith is right.
    Um...nuff said.

I'm not really gonna hate on you, but you're pretty bad at following discussions.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I'm not really gonna hate on you, but you're pretty bad at following discussions.
    He has a serious case of selected reading.