Thread: Fps Problems

Question Fps Problems

Hello MMO-champion community

I got a problem with my Fps and i dont have any idea how to fix it or if i simply need to buy a new video card.

My system:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2672 MHz
    Ram: 8GB 2x2x2GB ram (2 dual channels) each 866 Hz iirc
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ 512 gddr ram
    HD: 500GB 50% full 1TB 90% full (wow + Os are one the 500gb HD)
    Resolution:1920x1080

So now my problem:
    My fps are always arround 10 to 30 fps with sometimes fps spikes to 1 to 5 fps.
    Now i play on everything maxed out so u could thing just decrease the settings well the problem is that even when i play on minimum settings i have about 5 fps more so no real increase in performance.
    Even if i render a video or fraps the frames are about the same.(addons on off dosent make a difference too)
    Now i have to say i can play any other game that is currently new on maximum settings with more frames.
    One thing to add no core is above 50% and ram is never over 60%.

Things i did already: started wow in selective mode
    added the lines in the config wtf
    SET processAffinityMask "15"
    SET timingMethod "2"
    SET gxTextureCacheSize "512"
    reinstalled wow
    updated all my drivers
    checked my GPU CPU Temperature
    cleaned my pc from the inside!
    and some more things that i cant recall currently

So i would really appreciate your help/ideas if i can get more fps with my current system of i just have to buy a new video card ;(

ps: sorry for my english its not my native language

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

Deleted
    Do you happen to have AntiAliassing (Multisampling) set to x8 in wow? If so, set it to x1.

If your graphics are all maxed out, your GPU probably can't take that much shadows at such high resolution. And the CPU frequency isn't helping.
    Try to lower the shadow option and if you are confident in your CPU cooling, try a 3GHz overclock.

Do you happen to have AntiAliassing (Multisampling) set to x8 in wow? If so, set it to x1.
    dosent make a difference tried it already ;/ and just did now again just to vertify it ^^
    And my CPU cooling is fine had the CPU already overlocked to 3.2 GHZ but thought it would shroten the live to much to keep it at it i will try it again and see if i can improve my performance with it
    Last edited by Valynvin; 2011-01-06 at 03:30 PM.

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL

Deleted
    You're using a much too high resolution, with 512 MB graphics memory and a full HD 1920x1080 resolution, it'll lag like hell, try lowering it to a more acceptable size and see if that helps any.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW.. You must have something set wrong or something.. 8gbs ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 and you only get 1-5 fps at times? That's scary, I have a Dell "dinosaur" with (lol) 1gb ram, 120gb HD, an some old out dated Nvidia with everything in wow set to "good" "low" or off ('cause I have to) and my usual fps is 9 or 10... Honestly I dunno how I got as far as I have on my toons with such a poor setup.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikaas View Post
    You're using a much too high resolution, with 512 MB graphics memory and a full HD 1920x1080 resolution, it'll lag like hell, try lowering it to a more acceptable size and see if that helps any.
    I already tried it 720x576 give me 1 fps + thats just a joke ;x

and violent that why i ask here ^^ in the offical forum blue poster always ignore me or simply cant help

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    I already tried it 720x576 give me 1 fps + thats just a joke ;x
    Try UNINSTALLING your Nvidia drivers completely, then reboot. THEN install new Nvidia drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I hope you find the help you need, your hardware deserves to be running at optimal efficiency. =P As for mine I don't think anything would help except just a flat out, all around upgrade.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

It is really hard to believe that your Anti-Aliasing being on 8x or 1x doesn't change anything, as the difference on my computer and several of my friends is anywhere between 20-50 FPS.

The things that effect FPS the most.

Anti-Aliasing
    Shadows
    Water Quality
    View Distance
    Sunshafts (some locations)

I too only notice about a 4 FPS difference in monitor resolution settings, well worth having it set to your monitor's native resolution.

I also don't understand how FRAPsing has no real effect on your FPS either, as the quality you choose your video to be (say 30 FPS), most of the time the program tries to preserve that number as much as possible for the sake of the quality of the movie, and that 30 would be taken directly out of your total FPS (as in 50 FPS total - 30 FPS video = 20 FPS in game during FRAPS).

I second the idea of wiping your Nvidia drivers completely and only installing the newest one, as sometimes when you have multiple drivers that have been "overwritten", they have compatibility issues. It's about the only drawback to Nvidia cards (still worth sticking with IMO).

Personally, I would try what I do. I have a decent setup, albeit an older one.

2.2 ghz processor
    Nvidia 9800 GT 512 mb
    2 gb ram
    Half full 10,000 rpm hard drive
    24" monitor at 1900x1200

My FPS in the most heavily populated parts of Org dips down into the 15-20 range at times, raiding is anywhere between 25-35 depending on the spells being cast, and my sitting in the middle of Azshara not doing crap and no one in sight is between 50-60 FPS.

I set everything that involves character textures to be as high as possible, and everything pertaining to the environment to it's lowest setting except for view distance. View distance seems to have a greater effect than just how far you can see as well, as the area around you that gets preloaded graphically is larger as well, so even stuff not necessarily in your field of view is still getting loaded.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Greedybeaver; 2011-01-06 at 04:23 PM.

wiped my graka driver and installed newest only 260.99 and well i got 1 frame more overall but antisampling and resolution still dont do a thing to my fps ;< and i know that it dosent seem true that i dont have a frame decrese when frapsing and rendering but well it is ;< and i can see fps decrease when i fraps in other games and so on just wow got this problem.
    One thing i forgot to add i have this problem since patch 3.0 before i could open 4 WoW's at once with a constant 60 fps in AV afterwards 1 wow at max. with 10-30 fps.

Maybe i should just by a new video card but i am actually scared that it dosent improve my performance and my money is simply lost ,x

---------- Post added 2011-01-06 at 07:58 PM ----------

no more ideas? then maybe a video card that i should buy ? ,x
    Last edited by Valynvin; 2011-01-06 at 07:13 PM.

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL