Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dark simulacrum was a huge disappointment

I tried to copy some spells from a warlock, and i must say i am very disappointed. Metamorphosis doesn't cost mana, fel armor didn't work, Soul stone didn't work, demonic circle didn't work... basically no cool spells work. Guardian of ancient kings and inner fire doesn't cost mana either... And damaging spells/healing spells are a joke because you have no spell power. Yes metamorphosis may be the most OP thing you could ever copy, but honestly what are the odds of that happening? Every good player will notice when a DK has cast this spell on you, so they will just give you the most crappy spell they have. like this:

priest: Mind soothe
    mage: slow fall
    warlock: soul link
    druid: soothe
    shaman: water walking
    paladin: Hand of Reckoning

What also sucks is that it has a 1 min CD compared to spell reflect which is a lot better anyway since it reflects the spell for full dmg, while you avoid it.
    If blizz wants to increase the usefulness of this spell they should remove the RP cost and remove it from the GCD. Sucks that you have to spend 20 RP on it when you most likely are just gonna get one of the spells i mentioned above.

I'm not saying this spell is useless. Of course sometimes you manage to use dark simulacrum on a warlock right before hes finished casting fear, and you use AMS at the same time to avoid it while you fear him back. Or death coil, deep freeze, hammer of justice etc... but again, a warrior can do this every 10 sec while avoiding it at the same time.

btw, can you copy windfury, paladin seals, rebirth, totems, resurrection spells, portals/teleports/conjure food, and how long to they last?
    Last edited by icecreamtruck; 2011-01-06 at 03:14 PM.

Deleted
    I think its awesome, already copyd bloodlust 4 times in arena!

Yes its awesome for that sort of stuff, but you have to be really lucky, AND most likely it wont work on skilled players. oh and you can do the same thing with spellsteal. With no CD.

I say remove the Rp cost, reduce the CD and remove from GCD + fix the spell power thing at least. or it will just remain a spell you have to be really lucky with.

Dark simulacrum = poor mans Spell reflect/spellsteal
    Last edited by icecreamtruck; 2011-01-06 at 03:20 PM.

There have to be realistic limits as to what it can copy.
    You just stated a substantial part of the warlock arsenal you can turn against them, so don't complain because there is part of it you cannot.
    The counter of sending an awful spell your way is just the same tactic used vs a spell reflect.
    It is forcing a defensive cast as such, making us choose not to use something else and that is a rather good form of control.
    If used on an unaware opponent or one caught out it has a greater potential than spell reflect, and its ability to copy allbeit again with limitations abilities used by bosses or trash in pve content makes the cooldown well justified.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen my dk friend steal:
    Pally wings, druid starfall, and (at least on the beta) Mages iceblock.

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamtruck View Post
    I tried to copy some spells from a warlock, and i must say i am very disappointed. Metamorphosis doesn't cost mana, fel armor didn't work, Soul stone didn't work, demonic circle didn't work... basically no cool spells work. Guardian of ancient kings and inner fire doesn't cost mana either... And damaging spells/healing spells are a joke because you have no spell power. Yes metamorphosis may be the most OP thing you could ever copy, but honestly what are the odds of that happening? Every good player will notice when a DK has cast this spell on you, so they will just give you the most crappy spell they have. like this:

priest: Mind soothe
    mage: slow fall
    warlock: soul link
    druid: soothe
    shaman: water walking
    paladin: Hand of Reckoning

What also sucks is that it has a 1 min CD compared to spell reflect which is a lot better anyway since it reflects the spell for full dmg, while you avoid it.
    If blizz wants to increase the usefulness of this spell they should remove the RP cost and remove it from the GCD. Sucks that you have to spend 20 RP on it when you most likely are just gonna get one of the spells i mentioned above.

I'm not saying this spell is useless. Of course sometimes you manage to use dark simulacrum on a warlock right before hes finished casting fear, and you use AMS at the same time to avoid it while you fear him back. Or death coil, deep freeze, hammer of justice etc... but again, a warrior can do this every 10 sec while avoiding it at the same time.

btw, can you copy windfury, paladin seals, rebirth, totems, resurrection spells, portals/teleports/conjure food, and how long to they last?
    QQ /thread

Deleted
    Wait till you copy Mage's mirror image or Paladin's bubble like my friend has then say it sucks.

what are you saying dude !

i pwned a frost mage copiying his mirror image

Visually it looks cool to have your own mirror images and it makes you think DS is so good, but honestly the dmg is like a simple DOt and you could just use CoI to snare your oppnent anyways.

Dark Simulacrum is the shizz! Blinking right after a mage as he tries to flee is pure win tbh!

Signature created by Nevad.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that mages spell steal is so strong is the reason blizz already said they want to nerf it. Don't expect any buffs on this, be happy you get it al all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Deleted
    I like it. Can be fairly useful in PvE too, normally gets about 20k from most heroic bosses/trash.
    Also, the advantage DSM has over Spell Reflect, is that you don't need to be the target of the spell with DSM.
    Spell Reflect can reflect a harmful spell away from you and back to the target.
    DSM can take any type of spell and redirect it at anyone you choose.

Bubble, AW, Time Warp is some of the most powerful things ive copied with DS, fun stuff.

HPallys are very hard to copy because aginst DKs all they do is cleanse.

Blink is some of the more frequent and funny things Ive copied with DS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand with the OP in some cases. I mean, the least I was hoping for is to counter the Lava Burst crit right back into the Shaman's face or Paladin's Holy Light so I can fight longer. But I was really discouraged when the Lava Burst hit for 72 and Holy Light healed me for 100 health. The only good use of the spell is that you use it when your opponent is about to blow his cooldowns, making you gain one as well. I have copied Divine Shield, and Fear, and Spellsteal, but the thing is, it didn't really turn the tide of battle into my direction.

In some cases it may happen that Dark Simulacrum helps you just enough to give you victory over your opponent but you have to be lucky for that to happen.

Realistically, in most cases (not all) the times you pull off something epic like that are those "one in a million" lucky chances.
    If a player truly isn't good enough to see you cast it, you could have probably just meleed him to death anyways.

For me, I'm tired of all the PVE-useless skills given to DKs. Army was very limited in functionality because of the taunt, DS has very limited usage in PVE, and one of the new weapon strikes was actually PVP only.

DKs in PVE feel basically the same at 85 that they did last expansion...

The list of things I've stolen:
    Dispel Magic (Bye bye snares!)
    Hand of Freedom
    Sheep
    Fear
    Cyclone
    HoJ
    Time Warp
    Heroism
    Bloodlust
    Hex
    Starsurge (10k normal for 20RP is not bad)
    Various heals (Divine Light, Holy radiance, Wild Growth, Lifebloom)

Ninety percent of what I copy is a CC spell. 9% heals, and the rest is boring shit like starsurge or fun shit like hero/HoF.
    TLDR - Learn to use it at the right moment and win.
    OH FOR GODS SAKE I HAVE NO IMAGINATION.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentsatellite View Post
    Realistically, in most cases (not all) the times you pull off something epic like that are those "one in a million" lucky chances.
    If a player truly isn't good enough to see you cast it, you could have probably just meleed him to death anyways.

For me, I'm tired of all the PVE-useless skills given to DKs. Army was very limited in functionality because of the taunt, DS has very limited usage in PVE, and one of the new weapon strikes was actually PVP only.

DKs in PVE feel basically the same at 85 that they did last expansion...
    Rogues would like to have a word with you ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Having DKs steal Mirror Images ain't OP, right? Don't whine, the spell is awesome.
    Vol'jin fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam View Post
    Having DKs steal Mirror Images ain't OP, right? Don't whine, the spell is awesome.
    Should not cost anything to cast with a 30 sec CD then it would be sweet.
    Smile