Thread: 8.34% Haste

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

8.34% Haste

I noticed that Holy Word: Serenity's 25% Critical Strike Chance increase lasts 6 seconds. Immediately after casting Holy Word: Serenity you will have a 1.5 second global cooldown assuming you have no haste. This leaves you with 4.5 seconds of the buff: only slightly not enough for two (Greater) Heals, with a cast time of 2.5 seconds unbuffed. However, with haste applied, we would be able to fit in a second (Greater) Heal. Some calculations give us the exact number:

BuffDuration=2(HealCastTime/(1+(Haste%/100))+GlobalCoolDown/(1+(Haste%/100)

We enter what we know:

6=2(2.5/(1+(Haste%/100))+1.5/(1+(Haste%/100))

This solves to:

Haste%=8.333...

Meaning that with 8.34% Haste we would be able to fit in two (Greater) Heals during each Holy Word: Serenity Critical Strike Chance buff. I have two questions.

1) Is this really how it works or would latency cause the buff to go away before you can get your second cast off?
    2) Is it worth getting 8.34% haste for this?

Deleted
    get a stack or 2 of serendipity before casting holy word and you should easily fit 2xgheal during the buff

Yes, this is pretty much how it works, but latency can increase the required haste a bit. It's not really worth it to get more haste JUST for that though. You should be gearing for mastery/haste after spirit anyways, so you will eventually have enough. Also, don't forget that with 3/3 Darkness and the +5% Haste Raidbuff, you are pretty much as good as there to get your 2 Heals/Greater Heals into the +25% critchance timeframe.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You need 12.5% for the 6th Renew tick in a raid environment anyway, so you might as well start getting some now ;-)
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    You need 12.5% for the 6th Renew tick in a raid environment anyway, so you might as well start getting some now ;-)
    Actually, you need 37.5% haste. Raidbuffed.

12.5% is the shorthand for fifth tick, and a really dumb place to stop your gearing.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Actually, you need 37.5% haste. Raidbuffed.

12.5% is the shorthand for fifth tick, and a really dumb place to stop your gearing.
    What does 37.5% yield? Another tick of Renew? Not in a situation to do the math myself at this moment .

Quote Originally Posted by Kaysha View Post
    What does 37.5% yield? Another tick of Renew? Not in a situation to do the math myself at this moment .
    That's correct.

But until Renew starts doing more than 35-ish percent of your total non-tank-healing, just gearing to Renew's tick is moot.

We're balanced around 2.5 second spells accounting for the majority of our output; why not make them suck less and actually be castable?

15+ Year Old Account
    People need to stop thinking about Haste as only "buffing" Renew. It's terrible and gives Anti-Haste enthusiasts fuel for the fire.

I stack haste to make my Heal better. To make my ProH faster. I don't really give a monkeys about Renew ticks at the moment.

If I can cast Greater Heal fast enough so that I don't need to use Flash Heal, job well done. If I can spam Heal around like a mad man and not have people die, get in. If I can spam Prayer of Healing so mitigate fuck ups or heavy AoE, fuck yeah.

I actualy dont care alot about renew neither, i only usualy apply it to tanks and i refresh it with heal, really care more about heal's casting time as Ultima said.

Deleted
    I'm really confused about the haste issue, i'm currently at about 600 haste rating (just enough for 5 ticks with 3/3 raidbuffed) with quite a high mastery rating (23% extra heal) but I can't decide wether or not to drop my haste more and reforge and gem more mastery or to aim for more haste.

I'm sure i seem to get more benefit when raid healing from increasing my mastery as opposed to raising haste.

Prayer of Mending, Renew, Chakra - Heal, Holy Word: Serenity - Heal spam, HW:S, PoM on cd. Epic heals and no mana problems whatsoever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    I'm sure i seem to get more benefit when raid healing from increasing my mastery as opposed to raising haste.
    You will get two responses:

Haste sucks, stack Mastery after x.xx% Haste.

Mastery sucks, reforge that shit and stack Haste.

Or me: Mastery's good, but Haste is better.

Looking at Upgrades, I sort of value Mastery at about 80-85% of Haste. The Intellect on higher ilvl stuff offsets the alternate itemisation.

We're lucky to have a Mastery that doesn't completely suck. But that doesn't mean it's -the- stat to stack.

Deleted
    Thanks for the help, I think I've decided I will drop my mastery a little bit and work on some more haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    You will get two responses:

Haste sucks, stack Mastery after x.xx% Haste.

Mastery sucks, reforge that shit and stack Haste.
    This is exactly why I was confused in the first place, I have seen both points of view. Out of interest which camp are you in?

The difference between them isn't massive enough for people to go totally overboard with either one, so honestly at this point you should try and gear for what you are comfortable with. If you think you could be casting a little faster, go for some more haste, but don't immediately reforge and regem everything to haste. Having a balance and your own preference is more important. The only important thing is to completely ignore the silly 12.5% thing.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Out of interest which camp are you in?
    I am firmly in the Haste camp. However, do not copy me. I am a big noob, I'm just here to make awesome and witty posts.

I'm going to say, Gun, that haste is better - and here's why: Beyond throughput, beyond numbers on a meter, your job is to keep people alive. What is likely to achieve that more? A HoT ticking for a few hundred per second after a heal has landed... or a faster response to damage thanks to haste? As far as I can tell, it's evident that being able to respond to damage quicker is far more beneficial than leaving a 300-a-second HoT on a target.

The mastery becomes more impressive in helping us sustain tanks thanks to the fact it stacks and thus offers a consistent buffer to our healing. As a raid healer, however, whilst mastery is nice, it is in no way comparable to haste as far as I'm concerned.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, to play devil's advocate, lolEchoes stacks up as to not cause over-riding and wasted healing.

The idea of stacking Mastery over Haste is that it's predictable healing in an environment where all damage is predictable, so why need Haste when you know when the damage is coming!? /devil

My issue is that this is not always the case, and when it is not the case, that is when healing most matters and I want my Haste to fix this with as little casualties as possible. I'll agree most damage is predictable, but it can also be unfair. When I was on Al'akir, my group/team got ripped apart with a combination of Shock Blast/Wave (or whatever the knock back is called), two electric cones (in a row), an ice layer and tornadoes with a gap exactly where the layer was. God bless my Haste for that period of time. I doubt having an extra 10+% Mastery would have kept the group up. Though, I could be wrong.

Nisala really sums up the argument in and of itself right there.

Nothing can or ever will replace the need for a second cast. Even if the person with Mastery heals for "more", it's the Priestess with Haste that keeps people alive on progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Well, to play devil's advocate, lolEchoes stacks up as to not cause over-riding and wasted healing.

The idea of stacking Mastery over Haste is that it's predictable healing in an environment where all damage is predictable, so why need Haste when you know when the damage is coming!? /devil

My issue is that this is not always the case, and when it is not the case, that is when healing most matters and I want my Haste to fix this with as little casualties as possible. I'll agree most damage is predictable, but it can also be unfair. When I was on Al'akir, my group/team got ripped apart with a combination of Shock Blast/Wave (or whatever the knock back is called), two electric cones (in a row), an ice layer and tornadoes with a gap exactly where the layer was. God bless my Haste for that period of time. I doubt having an extra 10+% Mastery would have kept the group up. Though, I could be wrong.
    Precisely; in order to make use of EoLight, you need to heal. In order to heal, damage must happen. Thus, you have already responded to the damage, and as such EoLight provides no critically useful tool for us. It makes our healing spells worth a little bit more, but that healing is so spread out and lacking in any "mmph", that it can really never be compared to haste because they fulfil completely different roles. Haste fulfils a very important role of response-time, whereas EoLight adds a "nice" little extra healing on top of what we already do.