Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Unhappy Archaeology... Pls help before I cancel my wow account :(

So I have done non stop Archaeology for pretty much the whole of Cata. From the very start it was all in the hope that I would get the mount from Tol'Vir fragments.

I have now completed 19 rares, 2 of them being the Tol'Vir ones (Scarab pendant and Ring of the boy emporer) and I have spent in excess of 40k gold on Hieroglyphs to try and speed up my research yet for about a week I havn't discovered another rare. I have thousands and thousands of Nelf and Fossil fragments and im fast running out of gold to continue buying heiroglyphs.

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to give up on the mount and instead am just going to try for one last rare to get me the Professor Title.

So what I need is any of the following

4 Tol'vir's... The mount, The staff, The Sword and the Pet
    1 Dwarf... The Staff
    1 Troll... The Sword and
    1 Nerubian... The Blessing of the old God

Can anyone recommend which of the ones I need would have the better drop chance?

I am a bit gutted tbh that I have spent so many hours and a huge whack of gold all to just be frustrated and angry about the shitty RNG that Blizzard has presented us with with Archaeology.

Any help or comments to either boost my spirits and continue trying or just to tell me the fastest rare to try and farm for will be much appreciated

If it wasn't so shitty RNG to get Tol'vir nodes, Tol'vir would be your best bet because you need 4 rares from them. Other than that, just go with whatever gives you the most fragments.

Good luck finishing your achievement

Not that it helps much, but I see no reason to particularly give up... Change your habits on it, sure.
    Personally, my archaeologist is a purist DPSer, so my queues are long unless I grab a guildy. I use that time to do my digging, and it helps break the monotony. You could also start earning the gold back by farming while you're in various zones (if your arch is also a gatherer)...

Maybe a drinking game? "Woo, Tol'vir node! *shot*"

Deleted
    Some very good ideas but sadly my main isnt a gatherer and queues on my server for BG's and Heroics are about 30 seconds long so I have to kind of dedicate my time to Archaeology or do other things.

Oh and I dont drink alcohol lol but if I do start then I blame Blizz for messing up my head! I survey in my dreams!

I gave up on archaeology at about 392 skill level, mostly due to it being the most boring, monotonous, unrewarding profession in the game. It's a sad day when I'd rather work on the new fishing achievements (Limnologist, etc), mindless casting into the SW canals in the hopes of catching a Bloated Mud Fish, than continue leveling archaeology.

That being said, if you're honestly considering quitting this (or any) game because you're unhappy with an optional profession and it's god awful design, you really should figure out a new hobby. Archaeology sucks, yep, but in a game with 6 years of development, surely there is something you can do that you'll find enjoyment out of besides it. If not, you should definitely quit. I don't even consider archaeology when I log on each day, and barely recognize it as a profession worth investing my time in - instead I find something better to do with the few hours I play, like pvp, dailies, crafting, or the like.

I do feel bad for you though - all that time wasted on a profession that will inevitably see a huge nerf in the way gathering high end artifacts will work. Just put away your surveying kit, and wait for Blizzard to remove their craniums from their behind.

Deleted
    Tambo, could you say me how many tol'vir solves you have done? I did 50 Tol'vir solves and only have 2 rares (ring and pendant) too. I hate reading that people get the Mount after 5-10 solves...

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have to say the nerubian one because the others are all very low chances to get because of them being boa epic lvl 85 items, not sure about how low the pet and mount are but tol'vir are hard to get dig sites for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    So I have done non stop Archaeology for pretty much the whole of Cata. From the very start it was all in the hope that I would get the mount from Tol'Vir fragments.

I have now completed 19 rares, 2 of them being the Tol'Vir ones (Scarab pendant and Ring of the boy emporer) and I have spent in excess of 40k gold on Hieroglyphs to try and speed up my research yet for about a week I havn't discovered another rare. I have thousands and thousands of Nelf and Fossil fragments and im fast running out of gold to continue buying heiroglyphs.

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to give up on the mount and instead am just going to try for one last rare to get me the Professor Title.

So what I need is any of the following

4 Tol'vir's... The mount, The staff, The Sword and the Pet
    1 Dwarf... The Staff
    1 Troll... The Sword and
    1 Nerubian... The Blessing of the old God

Can anyone recommend which of the ones I need would have the better drop chance?

I am a bit gutted tbh that I have spent so many hours and a huge whack of gold all to just be frustrated and angry about the shitty RNG that Blizzard has presented us with with Archaeology.

Any help or comments to either boost my spirits and continue trying or just to tell me the fastest rare to try and farm for will be much appreciated
    I've had the same problem as you have and I'd suggest going for nerubian, even though they have low spawn rate but its the easiest rare

Deleted
    I have completed 48 Tol'vir solves^^

And yes I agree it sucks when I read that people got the mount after a couple of attempts but with every single common I complete my chances still remain as low as hell and that annoys me more tbh

It isn't as boring as being a mage in wrath.... 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 move from fire 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 loot purples.

But really, if it's causing you this much strife just give it up. Level an alt and then come back to it in a few weeks or something. I think people are taking this profession too seriously. It's a time filler. That was it's design. Nothing more, nothing less.

Deleted
    yeah its a time filler, but when you aim for this mount, you would do anything as well farming 8 hours a day tol'vir fragments : )

10+ Year Old Account
    175 nelf solves and counting - still no trinket Fucking hillaruis that BiS items should come from this crap

Quote Originally Posted by Lazur View Post
    It isn't as boring as being a mage in wrath.... 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 move from fire 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 loot purples.

But really, if it's causing you this much strife just give it up. Level an alt and then come back to it in a few weeks or something. I think people are taking this profession too seriously. It's a time filler. That was it's design. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Next time they shouldn't make a BiS trinket obtainable through a secondary profession that is completely based on RNG. *cough* 300 Night Elf solves and no trinket *cough*
    Last edited by jyn; 2011-01-07 at 12:26 AM.

Deleted
    while reading mmo i completed my 53th tol'vir artifact, still no mount... but i won't give up!

Perhaps you should re-evaluate your goals? I mean, postpone arch. for a while, do something else. Maybe funner. I know i'd go crazy just doing something like fishing for 100+ hours.

Deleted
    I gave up arch and will only pick it up again IF (and I doubt that for at least half a year) there are improvements.

525 skill 13 rares is not much, but after getting 10 fossil sites in a row I decided to give up.

Deleted
    Ok updated

I have just finished Professor title with the last Nerubian rare I was missing!

So glad I quit searching endlessly for Tol'Vir fragments and if your in the same boat as me then I suggest you do the same.

I MAY go back to farming Archaeology if and when Blizz decide to make it worth my time and effort and allow us lvl 85's to have a more regular spawn of Uldum digsites... And looking at the front page of MMO I may now have to pop my 6k Nelf fragments lol

I think it's a little shitty they're taking our farmed fragments away... I mean, what else did we get for our mindless farming? I'm at 2k fossil fragments. have gotten NON STOP fossil dig sites in Eastern Kingdom, and they're taking them away?! I'm at my 99th troll solve post 525 and i'm quitting archaeology after my 100th... looking for the sword. It's just not worth it, and by taking away our fragments next patch, they're pretty much making the grind 100% pointless.

It's not like i'm saving the fragments to screw the game over or anything, I've gotten all the possible solves from a particular race, yet the fragments STILL drop. Why don't they make the frags STOP dropping instead of taking our hard work from us... and pretty much pissing off a bunch of people. I'm giving up on getting the sword, losing my fragments, and already lost like 24 hours of my life with this profession. QQ

Deleted
    Gz on your title.

Offtopic: Give me 1g for each excess fragment... then I won't complain about the new 200 cap.

Quitting because of archealogy is like quitting because of Tol Barad, it's completely optional to join the queues or do the archealogy, it's hardly any benefit to actually do them and they take alot of time (Baradin Hold rep is Looong)

Anyways, id advice you not to quit the game for a single half profession that's ment to be a thing to do when you're bored and gives lore more than anything.
    If you dont get anything else out of the game but achievement hunting for non skillcurve things just leave. WoW is completely random when it comes to those things, no way to know what will come next on things like that.