Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    The effects is just, wow. The game really messes with your head. It's worth trying tho :
    So true. As a previous poster stated, it's basicly all the things happening that make you so paranoid that you are basicly afraid to go anywhere. (Trust me, I know this one.) I basicly had to go and take a +30min break before being able to continue in the prison since that place has all the scary shit. Zombies jumping at you from basicly nowhere, random gusts of wind turning off torches you've lit, and the best part is the agonizing yells of prisoners that are alive and unseen or ghosts who've decided to fuck you up mentally.

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 04:21 AM ----------

You do remember the guest room Kracen? Sure was a nice feeling to read the text popping up ''An enemy is approaching and you have no means of defending yourself. Hide!''
    Christ, it's so annoying to stay in a closet with the music being the monster nearby you thingy and not having any idea when to come out since the monster could still be there and eat you alive =l

Deleted
    great game IMO.
    had no doubt about getting the game after seing some videos, and it really did live up to my expectations.

there is no need for that jump-out-in-front-of-you-screming-tactics to make a game scary, does the opposite in most cases.
    but here you have that feeling that there is something out there, you are not alone, and there isn't a spot where you are safe, if they find you, you will die.

the whole game is covered in darkness, and you really feel left out with no means to defend yourself.
    put a gun in his hand and the scary effect is gone, then its just another "dark-themed-shooter".
    it gets much more horrific this way, but have to empathize with the game to get the most out of it.

lol that was so funny is is it gone but i find it odd that the whole gusts of wind an wail never got to me at all .. thats not mr face time to move on then oh beantu do you remeber the big guy in the choir that could 1 hit you

Deleted
    the whole game is covered in darkness, and you really feel left out with no means to defend yourself.
    This. This is pretty much one of the main reasons the game is so scary, you've got absolutely no means of defending yourself if you happen to come across an enemy. We had an conversation with the friend I played Amnesia with and his big brother since they've been playing Silent hill's and resident evil's. We all agreed that we can pretty much just laugh in those games since you can just shoot the hell out of most enemies in those games.
    but here you have that feeling that there is something out there, you are not alone, and there isn't a spot where you are safe
    Also true. The atmosphere will make sure of that. The somewhat impenetrable darkness will make you feel like having your lantern out all the time, but lamp fuel is so goddamn precious. + all the noises everywhere and the ''Shadow'' growing those ''things'' around sure adds up the scary factor.

---------- Post added 2011-01-07 at 04:28 AM ----------

oh beantu do you remeber the big guy in the choir that could 1 hit you
    Ain't really 100% sure since we only continue it while at my friends place and we've just begun to assemble the orb fragments.
    You mean the zombie that broke down the bars in the sewers which you had to run away from to reach Agrippa?

I played it for about 4 hours, two of which spent in the first bit of the game being too terrified to walk more than a few inches at a time.

I barely played it because I scare quit back in September and haven't played it since It's an incredibly atmospheric and amazing game, but I'm too much of a wuss to continue ((

Signature by Shyama!

naw this is around where you are its this huge rooom full of mist youll get there soon

Deleted
    Also the flashbacks and such come most of the time when you least except them to, which really makes me sigh in relief after I notice it's only a flashback and not something horrible ready to tear me to shreds.
    The start does kinda freak you out too if you're not familiar with these kind of games. The 1st door which gets blown open by a gust of wind and the room with the paintings where the candles will get blown out in a ''vortex'' of wind when you're at the center of the room.

I'll check it out. I couldn't watch more than a minute of that video linked in the original post from the idiot who made it screaming over what seemed to be nothing. I'm a fan of creepy games, so I'll give it a whirl.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

My roommate has this game and I'd play it when he wasn't home. Neither of us could play for more than half an hour intervals.

Personally, I hate all things horror and even though I don't scream at movies or scary games it gives me fear that keeps me up at night. The only reason I played Amnesia is because it was cheap and I like to support Indies.

Anyway, never did I have reactions like this video or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt5VeW1Ad8U
    but sometimes I'd go "Oh $hit, I'm gonna die." Now that it's full price again (at least on Steam, it is) I don't know if I'd recommend it because it's pretty short.

The only moment I was scared in this game was in first water level. I jumped in my chair so hard i momentarily pressed Alt-F4.
    Rest wasn't as bad.

It's easy to distract from scary ambience by doing routine tasks as opening up every desk and closet you encounter. Solving the puzzles also reminds you that this is just a game.

Someone said about this game that you constantly have few light sources and you're low on tinders/oil; I never ran out of them, by the end of the game I had about 40 spare tinders and 20 oil bottles. Difficulty settings should affect that.

Overall it's a pretty good game and a good step from Penumbra (first game by this company), which was 75% less scary. Story was kinda more interesting there though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's great. If thrilling games are your thing, get it. The games that came before, the penumbra series, were also very good (the 3rd one was kinda meh, it was really there to end the story and that was it IMO) and you should try them should you get the chance. I'm currently playing amnesia myself.

The thing about these games, is you're not running around with a plasma rifle, so if something jumps out at you (which usually, nothing does) you can't kill it. But things never really jump out in these games, usually, you see them down the hallway in the dark, and once they notice you, they begin to follow. But in most cases, you can out run all of them long enough to find a hiding spot, save for a specific few who are meant to be trapped in some way.

They recommend playing both games full screen, in the dark, with headphones. Don't try beating the game, just try immersing yourself inside the games fictional world. Even if you don't do it that way, both are still amazing games.

Deleted
    It's easy to distract from scary ambience by doing routine tasks as opening up every desk and closet you encounter. Solving the puzzles also reminds you that this is just a game
    Yeah, this worked for me in the beginning. Until that one little thing. (since it had become a routine at that point) I was opening some doors in the storage room to find more oil/tinderboxes, and before I know it, there's a zombie looking at me when I open one door. After that, I've just kept opening the doors a bit and peaking in before opening the doors fully

The game is awesome! And really damn scary too, atleast when you play with your headset on at night

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping to find a thread about this game since I tried playing it again just now. I haven't played it since shortly after Halloween due to seeing a monster in a a hallway and freaking the hell out, and because I got a new computer but forgot to backup the game.

I don't how I got as far as I did. I've quit playing two times now after hearing creepy sounds and stuff while walking around, even though I know there aren't any monsters in the part I'm at. Maybe I'll get on Vent with a friend and try again.

Played it, got scared, beat it, had nightmares

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    €15

It's a good game, I had a blast playing it. I didn't get very scared, but my heart was beating for like ten minutes after I stopped playing every time.
    Hopefully your heart was beating for a little longer than that after each time. It'd be a pretty terrible curse to have to play that game every 10 minutes for the rest of your life.

Deleted
    i didnt like it much, it's basicly a cheap version of Call of Cthulhu.

Completed it 2 days ago or something. Loved it. Though I didn't think it was very scary. More like mysterious and thrilling. That dark castle atmosphere was cozy, seriously. What scared me was when I got to a monster and had to be quick so I wouldn't die, running out of oil and that damn invisible water monster in the beginning. He was fast too once you got in the water. I had no oil in the very dark storage room, so that was probably the most scary place for me. There was a monster walking around down there and I had to hide in a pitch black room, though he was nearby and still found me and mauled me to death.

The game focus more on holding you in fear of something is going to happend..
    I havent played it tho, but im going to :d