Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Body and Soul vs. Tanks

I spec'd Body and Soul in WotLK and never had any complaints about it. Yesterday, however, I was running a heroic with the guild. The group consisted of three people who have mains who are tanks. At the end of the run the individual who was tanking asked me what was making him move faster, I told him Body and Soul and explained how it works with PW:S. The other two "tanks" joined in and explained how the speed boost throws them off etc.

My questions are these: is there an alternative for Body and Soul in the talent tree? (Perhaps Surge of Light?) Is this a situation where the tanks should just "deal with it" (for lack of a better phrase)? Or am I a fail healer in some way which I just haven't noticed?

(Any criticism is appreciated, character's name is Provi from Skywall)

imo they could just get over it...and just be glad they are still alive

10+ Year Old Account
    Im a DK tank, and the only way B&S throws me off is when im running to a pull, without D&D marker on screen, and i suddenly charge forward, Imo, keep it , but let the tank know in the start of the instance

I personally like it. It's very useful in hastening pulls as a pally tank, and, if timed correctly (Such as on Ozruk heroic) allows me to run out of things.
    "Patamon is Vensa's favorite Pokemon"

Surge of Light is looking to be more solid with the patch, so you could probably grab that.

Otherwise, I find it strange that people would complain about the mini-sprint. I love it when tanking. I guess if I had a worse connection or wasn't such an old hand at tanking, I might be annoyed by it...?

While healing, I've never had a complaint so far. I use it full on mana to speed up trips around Throne, I use it to help people catch up, to get in or out of mechanics faster, etc. With the mana cost going up, I may have to curtail some of that, though. :\

It's really up to you. Personally I think tanks should get used to it, but we can't really make them. :P

You should never ever feel like you're a bad healer for making the tanks run faster, if anything, the tanks should feel bad for not being able to adapt to an increase in run speed. No matter what, you have to run a certain distance to do something, if they can't handle it in terms of reactions, then they probably shouldn't be tanks in the first place which often is about very fast and precise reactions to mechanics.

Stick with Body & Soul if you want, it has its uses.

Im a DK tank with a holy priest as my former main. I absolutely love any priest that specs into Body & Soul (and knows how to use it effectively). Sure if youre not expecting it, you may overshoot on your movement slightly, but a good player will adapt.

tanks should expect the speed boost from b&s as soon as they see the priest activating chakra.

Tanks and dps in my guild actually want B&S regardless of what spec i heal as lol

For some encounters it is amazingly OP (Atramedes for example)

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm interested in why you are using Body & Soul at the start of the pull. I mean, I'd understand after the change, but not before.

I use it all the time, out of combat, in 5 mans. I want my tank to hurry the fuck up and get to the next pack so I can get my Valor points. In raids, the uses are wonderful! Atramedes is always the first one that comes to find. Getting the other tank back to Cho'gall for Fury taunts. Helping Waterlogged players run through the fire on Council, getting them to the tornado/ground debuffer quicker if needed, helping the melee/range swap the buff. Patches of ice on Al'akir/Conclave. Little things like that.

On the second boss in Grim Batol I sort of killed the tank with it since I cast it on him when he was kiting during the Mace phase and he ran right off the edge into the lava...

But honestly it's awesome, one of the best talents in the tree in my opinion. The ability to give anyone in the group an on-demand mini-sprint helps is so many situations.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

I've yet to have any tank complain about it. *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

I'm a pally tank and I do agree that it can throw you off momentarily when you aren't expecting it, but really in the end it should never be something that actually causes a legitimate problem, if anything it should be y'know, helpful.

Deleted
    I really like it, although it did seem a bit strange the first time I got the buff when I was tanking.

Body and Soul is frikkin awesome. Any tank worth his salt adjusts to his/her speed accordingly. The faster I move the quicker I get to where I am going. Complaining about Body and Soul is like complaining about having to use a plane instead of a boat when you're in a hurry to get to the other side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    I'm interested in why you are using Body & Soul at the start of the pull. I mean, I'd understand after the change, but not before.
    I always tell them that when they get the priest bubble I am ready for the pull. The problem is not off the pull its during the actual fight. But I do think it's something they will learn to adjust to: and it seems that everyone would agree!

Thanks for your input all!

10+ Year Old Account
    My first negative experience with this talent came soon after the Random Dungeon Finder was released, while doing a Heroic Halls of Reflection run.
    At the final encounter, while you are escaping from the Lich King, you are fighting undead along a ledge that drops off to death.

While repositioning mobs close to the edge, the Holy Priest healer cast Power Word: Shield on me, and they had this talent. I ran right off the ledge. I probably could've gone the other way, but you know, without that movement speed increase, I'd have been fine.

Since then, whenever I do a Random Dungeon Finder PuG, and there's a Holy Priest in the group with Body and Soul, I ask them not to cast Power Word: Shield on me, because it throws me off. They usually comply, with varying degrees of success - I know habits are hard to break, and I don't make a big deal of it anyway.

body and soul is a fantastic talent, as a tank i love it when i see that speed boost pop up. However you do need to slightly readjust for it so as was said at the start just ensure your tank knows you have it, either with plenty of early PW:S or just a quick whisper.

Dont feel bad if the tank complains his an idiot imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AC View Post
    I always tell them that when they get the priest bubble I am ready for the pull.
    Oh, fair enough. I do the same thing with Prayer of Mending.

If you're doing it when they are to close to a pull/mob/mechanic to react in time then it's your fault and you should pay attention to what they are doing when you PW:S. Other than that, your tank(s) just need some better awareness. You shouldn't get more than a few yards ahead of where you want to be even with a slow reaction time to it.