15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand

Connection issues on Time Warner Cable?

Ok so my s/o in central Florida is apparently disconnecting very often from WoW, specifically in 25 mans. She says her ping is well over 1000, but her ping on vent is fine, and every other service is working fine (msn/yahoo/browser). As far as I know, shes tried updating NiC drivers, Radeon drivers (wat), power cycling the gateway, rebooting the comp, disabling addons, turning down graphics settings, and I think that's it.

Personally it sounds to me like its either her ISP, or her gateway. The gateway I think is a WRT54G which is usually fairly reliable though... so I'm betting its the ISP (Brighthouse/Time Warner). I remember seeing somewhere that people on TW in New York and in Central Florida were having issues?

Unless there is something I completely overlooked here?

System stats as best as I remember them:
    Core i5 750 @ Stock
    P7P55D-EVO
    4GB DDR3
    Radeon HD 4870
    500W Antec Earthwatts PSU
    500gb and 640gb WDC drives
    red panda red panda red panda!

I'm in North Carolina, had the same issues with TWC, paid for lowerping.com and I'm not having the issue anymore. Went from 1200Ms ping back down to 50Ms. I called TWC and they fail and were not helpful at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have her enter an instance (if she can do this while having high pings, even better!), open a command prompt, and run netstat -abnp TCP. Have her find the IP(s) associated with WoW.exe and traceroute to them (tracert 0.0.0.0, replacing that with the actual IP). See if there's any massive spike at any hop.

As I said, she'll see more usable results if she's actually having the connection problem at the time of the traceroute, but it may be helpful even when there's not a huge spike.

a guildie of mine who had the same problem on TWC apparently traced it to a router in the At&t network. He solved it by getting a SSH tunneling service like the guy in a previous post. Another guildie who was having the same problem had it resolve itself yesterday i believe so maybe they fixed the problem?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Have her enter an instance (if she can do this while having high pings, even better!), open a command prompt, and run netstat -abnp TCP. Have her find the IP(s) associated with WoW.exe and traceroute to them (tracert 0.0.0.0, replacing that with the actual IP). See if there's any massive spike at any hop.

As I said, she'll see more usable results if she's actually having the connection problem at the time of the traceroute, but it may be helpful even when there's not a huge spike.
    We did that, and there wasn't any issue between her and the realm server or instance server. :s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    We did that, and there wasn't any issue between her and the realm server or instance server. :s
    Something intermittent perhaps then? I often find network issues to be some of the most difficult to troubleshoot (especially via a forum like this).

The AT&T routers that StabbingFlamethrower mentioned are the "outer edge" of the Blizzard network. They're usually the last hop(s) before hitting Blizz's internal servers, which always timeout. I know they've had big issues with AT&T causing problems in the past. Maybe this is a minor version of the same thing?

Deleted
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...hrottling-wow?

You even posted in that thread yourself :P

The best post in that thread is:

It was because blizz changed the way that p2p was delivering and hadn't notified any of the ISP's of it, so all the ISP's were thinking that there was a glut of illegal downloading, i actually recieved a letter from their legal department about my "illegal downloads" and listed the patch files. I gave them a call and explained that it's updated patches from warcraft as no one in this house downloads anything illegal.. I then got a call back a few hours later and they told me to ignore the letter as it's been confirmed with blizz about the way the data is delivered being changed..

15+ Year Old Account
    That would explain why SSH tunneling works, since it essentially encapsulates the P2P traffic inside an SSH packet. At that point, the ISP just sees SSH traffic and lets it go unmolested.

[edit: A cheesy way to test it might be to fire up an SSH server local on the network (even on localhost) and tunnel the traffic through it. At that point, you'd at least see if it were the P2P issue.]

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to have her try connecting to my ISA and using that as the gateway, so everything goes through as PPTP. It wouldn't be as fast, but its the easiest thing to walk her through.

You even posted in that thread yourself :P
    Well... that's not the only place I heard of it.

Edit: I have to wait until monday though, thats when her guilds next raid is.