Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gaming Laptop advice

I know, gaming laptops are frowned upon, but I need one for WoW, I still have my desktop for home, but would like a laptop for playing on the go (hotels, friend's house, LANs). I'm looking to spend no more than 1500, and would like 6-8gb ram and around 1920 res. Brand doesn't matter nearly as much as just being reliable and not looking like a cat's litter box :P.

Thanks in advance

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I have no idea about gaming laptops, but it would help the ones who do know about it if you specified what currency it is in!
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

Probably the best gaming laptop close to your price range -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-160-_-Product

Bit lower than FullHD resolution, but enough power to run all games for few years to come at full details.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Go to Alienware.com and pick your applicable model. You might want to wait though, until they upgrade them to Intels new Sandy-Bridge CPU before buying them. (probably in 2 weeks).

i bought a 600€ laptop this summer which can't really be considered a gaming laptop, but I have no problems playing WoW on it from time to time when i'm not at home. Acer Aspire 5741G it is. The graphics card is more office-style but gaming-style. What I want to say is: don't spend too much money just for playing WoW. of course 1920 resolution is somewhat more expensive than mine though ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Go to Alienware.com and pick your applicable model.
    Alienware is very overpriced. You can buy any same components with Alienware brand at $1500 you'd buy for $1000 with any other name on the box.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidor View Post
    Hey, I have no idea about gaming laptops, but it would help the ones who do know about it if you specified what currency it is in!
    Sorry :P 1500 USD. thanks for pointing that out.

And I have looked at the alienwares, I have a few computers bookmarked for around 1500, but would like to see if anyone knows of a nice one I missed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a custom made comp however I have been through my fair share of laptops. Alienware was good, but took me 4 months to get one delivered that actually worked, first & 2nd one had dead HD'd and the 3rd just didnt wanna start (bios was crap). Dell (none alienware dell's) laptops sucks for warcraft, but sony was by far my fav. they run a little hot at times, but never had any issues till it met my cup of coffee.... yer that was expensive
    http://www.dabs.com/products/sony-vp...40000-51220000

Looks nice, bit pricey but decent, and good screen size

I'm using an MSI GX660R at the moment. Plays CoD:BO, BFBC2 and WoW on max (though I haven't used it in a raid yet) and has a 1920x1080 screen. Cost me ~£900.

Heres one for $1599, but you might be able to find a cheaper one if you look around. Google kept giving me UK results no matter what.

Slight difference in processors and HDDs between the UK and US versions though. Mine has an i5 460M and 2x500gb 5400rpm HDDs in RAID0 wheras the one linked has an i7 740QM and single 640gb 7200rpm HDD. Not sure how that'll affect gaming performance.

Asus makes some very good gaming laptops for about 1400$ USD. This one, the Asus G73Jw, has the following specs, if you're interested. You can buy them from any electronics store (including Best Buy, etc) and they come with a base 3 years warranty! My friend owns one and it's flawless. Only downside is, I have to admit it's a bit ugly. Hope this helps in your choice!

- 8gb of Ram
    - 1.5 TB HDD
    - i7 mobile processor with Turbo Boost technology
    - nVidia gtx 460 1.5 GB DDR5 mobile GPU chip (very powerful, you can play stuff at ultra at max resolution!)
    - 1920 x 1024 native resolution
    - Huge 17,3" screen
    - Up to 8 hours of battery life (that's right, that's 4x more than an Alienware!)

Also, here's a picture;

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Asus makes some very good gaming laptops for about 1400$ USD. This one, the Asus G73Jw, has the following specs, if you're interested. You can buy them from any electronics store (including Best Buy, etc) and they come with a base 3 years warranty! My friend owns one and it's flawless. Only downside is, I have to admit it's a bit ugly. Hope this helps in your choice!

- 8gb of Ram
    - 1.5 TB HDD
    - i7 mobile processor with Turbo Boost technology
    - nVidia gtx 460 1.5 GB DDR5 mobile GPU chip (very powerful, you can play stuff at ultra at max resolution!)
    - 1920 x 1024 native resolution
    - Huge 17,3" screen
    - Up to 8 hours of battery life (that's right, that's 4x more than an Alienware!)
    I haven't been able to find that model with those specs online, but maybe I have just overlooked it. I actually don't hate the way it looks, could be better but it at least isn't a plain laptop with nothing to separate it from everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    I haven't been able to find that model with those specs online, but maybe I have just overlooked it. I actually don't hate the way it looks, could be better but it at least isn't a plain laptop with nothing to separate it from everything else
    I just took them from the asus website... here's a link. http://ca.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=WzU7IKA6SWdBvaRd

Btw my friend bought his at Future Shop. Just ask for it, I guess. That's what he did. If you look through Amazon or something you might be able to get it cheaper. Dunno.

And oh yea, you like it? Thought it was one of the best options available out there for laptops!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    I just took them from the asus website... here's a link. http://ca.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=WzU7IKA6SWdBvaRd

Btw my friend bought his at Future Shop. Just ask for it, I guess. That's what he did. If you look through Amazon or something you might be able to get it cheaper. Dunno.

And oh yea, you like it? Thought it was one of the best options available out there for laptops!

Thanks a lot I won't be buying anything until next month, but just trying to get options now so I can think about it and figure out if I need to push my budget just a little higher, but that definitely seems like it could be a winner

I personally chose a Sager for my gaming "laptop" I put that in quotes because it uses a Desktop 980X and SLI GTX 480Ms, so it's not exactly meant to run off the battery.
    There's a few sites you can order them through, along with many other models. xoticpc are who I went through(cannot post links yet, but it ends in .com). What you need to know before hand is that that company never really touches the laptop, they're like a middleman for the other companies. They sell from Sager, MSI, ASUS and one or two others. But i'm happy with the $4,000 I spent on this thing, it's the NP7280 if you want to look at the specs.

Well I won't really be running any of these laptops on battery for long, my friends have power outlets in their houses :P. But unfortunately, a poor college student can't afford 4k I'm using almost all of my refund check to pick up a gaming "laptop" :P

Glad I could help

-Chicken

Well they do have other models, and you can customize pretty much all of them, hence why I mentioned it. Most people don't know about the Sagers and how they outshine Alienware any day, except maybe support.