Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Alienware is it worth it?

is it worth it to buy an alienware gaming laptop? 800 bucks ive heard good reviews but ive also hear bad

Deleted
    i would say go get one they are really good but it is somre realm stuf so set you selft into what you are buying befor doing it

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Alienware is essentially a Dell with a shiney new badge. You will get better value for money buying a local vendor machine or building yourself

For me no laptop is for gaming.

No, never, ever, ever,

You pay about $500 for the logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    No, Alienware is essentially a Dell with a shiney new badge. You will get better value for money buying a local vendor machine or building yourself
    People like you make this thread useless. He's talking about a laptop. You probably just read the title and wrote something.

Btw, for "gaming" laptops, the only viable ones are either Alienware or Asus. Don't even bother with anything else.

personally i dont like alienware laptops they just dont have the build quality of asus models but if you really wanna get the best bang for your buck id say forget the laptop and get a custom built pc they are easier to upgrade and cost a fraction of the price of a decent gaming laptop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    People like you make this thread useless. He's talking about a laptop. You probably just read the title and wrote something.

Btw, for "gaming" laptops, the only viable ones are either Alienware or Asus. Don't even bother with anything else.
    Excuse me? Are you not awear that Dell make gaming laptops?

Lets not jump the gun next time sunshine

Also Alienware (as overpriced as it may be) still makes a good laptop, but a lot of people are mistaken when they say its a dell with a different badge. When Dell bought Alienware it was under the agreement that dell have absolutely nothing with the build of the computers and that Alienware have creative freedom over their branding. I personally would get an Asus G-series laptop. You can get some nice reconditioned ones off of Newegg.com for the price you were looking at that alienware for.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

I have had two ASUS gaming laptops, and loved them both. My first was one of the G1's which I just recently replaced with a G73jh. I would highly recommend looking at an ASUS.

Most gaming laptops I have owned broke after a year or so, every single one. Asus, Dell & Zepto. Alienware seem to be the only one left for trying if you want a gaming laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an alienware desktop machine and i have to admit it is pretty awesome BUT like another post said, it is dell deep down so the customer service is totaly useless and most of them dont know what they are on about and dont even speak english... thumbs up for the actual machine though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LosConturas View Post
    Most gaming laptops I have owned broke after a year or so, every single one. Asus, Dell & Zepto. Alienware seem to be the only one left for trying if you want a gaming laptop.
    This, after 1 year a gaming laptop basically becomes a paper weight as you cannot upgrade components in it as you would a desktop.

EDIT: for the haters who will quote me, yes you can upgrade your laptop, but it will cost you an arm and a leg to do so.

For laptops, it's not that easy to just throw a brandname out there, you have to give us model-labels et c.
    Also, seeing how overpriced Alienware is, getting one for US$800 means it probably will be even worse than their usual ones.
    Excuse me? Are you not awear that Dell make gaming laptops?
    But Alienware = Dell. Why differentiate it when they basically are the same company?

Answer was in this post

Deleted
    I use an Acer 6930g for my gaming, 2GB graphics card, Dual Core 2.13Ghz, 4GB ram... and unless you spend the extra £500 (or whatever the $ equivelant is to upgrade it to a Quad core laptop) it's not worth getting an Alienware laptop. My friend has one and they constantly complain about the heat they produce (so much so they had to buy a external fan attatchment for the laptop). Also they weigh a lot, not exactly ideal for portable gaming.

If you're only gaming at home, I suggest getting a Desktop, BUT not an Alienware. Although I have an Alienware myself, they aren't worth the money if you're comfortable building one yourself or you know someone who is. Also there are a lot of smaller companies out there that will offer better than Alienware but without the £500 logo price ontop.

Certainly get (as others have mentioned) an Asus or Acer (in my case) instead of Alienware, especially if you're looking for portability.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    btw, you're wrong.

Toshiba Qosmio series gives most performance for money at the moment for gaming laptops. Here are few examples of very good options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-905-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-050-_-Product
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    First things first - provide a reason you want a gaming laptop.

Gaming laptops are very expensive if you just intend to game at a single home, only occationally bringing the laptop to say - Uni or School.

You are better off in those cases with a Gaming focused desktop, and a cheaper basic laptop.

Alienware IS Dell there is not difference Dell owns the Alienware tag no basically about it

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, don't know if it's worth buying any Alienware computer, but definitely worth winning as a prize, like me and a guy named Erunno did last year in the "Rise to Power" Machinima contest. =P
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2011-01-07 at 12:12 PM.