Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    i normally dont use good grammar but im usually in alot of quick disscussion

so its hard to do

For the first six months I used minimal punctuation, never capitalised and so on.. One day I just realised how terrible my typing looked in comparison to one of my friends, who always types flawlessly. After that, I've always tried to use proper spelling and grammar in all games I play.

I'd always try to type correctly on forums due to the time available to review my post before submitting. Doing the same ingame took more willpower.
    Maybe it's similar for others, which could explain why grammar and spelling on the forums are generally superior.

15+ Year Old Account
    When writing an essay, or responding a forum, or facebook, etc - when I have time to respond, then I'll use proper grammar.

However on WoW, especially when I'm tanking, I find it easier/quicker to use shortened words, rather than stand still and risk losing aggro/causing a wipe.

Deleted
    i am english, its my 1st language, i will speak & write it as i please.
    i dont police other ppls spelling etc, and ofc i dont take offence to bad spelling or abbreviations, tbh i dont care
    but i do find it kinda funny the ammount of ppl that have to make comments and pick up ppls spelling etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedren View Post
    I've noticed that almost all MMOChampion users speak with correct grammar, think about what they say and just generally give off the impression that they actually know how to form a sentence. This to me atleast, shows that there are still some people out there that can think and aren't just a bunch of kids that can't be bothered to write 'people' so they write 'ppl' (Reference to another thread ;P) Now what baffles me, is that this site is massive! It's the most popular wow fan site. So why is it then that finding a person that isn't a blabbering idiot In-game is so rare? Where do you all go?

Thanks.
    You should've proof read this.

OT: Yeah, I totally agree.
    I find it easier to forgive someone random who caused a wipe if said random knows the difference between "your" and "you're" ...

Quote Originally Posted by 3tch View Post
    i am english, its my 1st language, i will speak & write it as i please.
    i dont police other ppls spelling etc, and ofc i dont take offence to bad spelling or abbreviations, tbh i dont care
    but i do find it kinda funny the ammount of ppl that have to make comments and pick up ppls spelling etc.
    Because one day "your" english will become so incomprehensible that only you will understand it ^^
    If you wanna speak publically then you cant just speak and write as you please, because you talk / write to others and you have to, at least to some degree, agree to some general grammar / rules to be understood. Deliberatelly making mistakes and avoiding grammar because thats what pleases you is kinda silly. Usually people communicate because they want to share some information. Not to please themselves, right? RIGHT? Thats why they invented languages as a set of common words and rules so they can understand each other.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted
    I was raised in a time when grammar and spellings were highly thought of at school, we used to have weekly spellings and grammar tests as well. My kids get frustrated when they text in "teenspeak" and i text them back saying "Now send me that message in adult speak", then wait at least 20 minutes for them to try and remember how the words are actually spelt.

As for playing in warcraft, use the phrase "You say Plz as it's shorter than please, I'll use no as it's shorter than yes!"

My english teacher once asked "where's your grammar", to which i replied "She's at home sitting in front of the fire knitting a jumper!!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorados View Post
    I'm one of those who simply don't talk that much, even in text I'm rather silent unless the subject is something that I find really interesting.
    Pretty much this. In random heroics I usually dont talk if I dont have to. And about the grammar, in 9th grade or so I started typing/speaking perfect swedish (im from Sweden ofc) and that kind of affected my english aswell. Thats why im trying to talk as perfect as I can even tho there might be some errors.

And I like someone more if they actually can speak/write with correct grammar.
    Last edited by mmoc124d4cbc78; 2011-01-10 at 10:45 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Because one day "your" english will become so incomprehensible that only you will understand it ^^
    If you wanna speak publically then you cant just speak and write as you please, because you talk / write to others and you have to, at least to some degree, agree to some general grammar / rules to be understood. Deliberatelly making mistakes and avoiding grammar because thats what pleases you is kinda silly. Usually people communicate because they want to share some information. Not to please themselves, right? RIGHT? Thats why they invented languages as a set of common words and rules so they can understand each other.
    maybe i should have said "online"..
    but tbh u seemed to understand me pretty well, also apart from abreviations most ppl understand what im trying to convey, in some situations propper english/grammer is required yes, but im not applying far any jobs here...
    avoiding grammer doesnt please me, im just kinda lazy.
    also lastly, people definatly comunicate to please themselves sometimes...

It's because the blabbering idiots can not be bothered typiong out www.mmo-champion.com, but instead write mmoc.com and then yell at the computer when it doesn't work.
    OH FOR GODS SAKE I HAVE NO IMAGINATION.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    If you wanna speak publically then you cant just speak and write as you please, because you talk / write to others and you have to, at least to some degree, agree to some general grammar / rules to be understood. Deliberatelly making mistakes and avoiding grammar because that's what pleases you is kinda silly. Usually people communicate because they want to share some information. Not to please themselves, right? RIGHT? That's why they invented languages as a set of common words and rules so they can understand each other.
    Fixed that for you.
    Maybe I should have said "online"..
    But to be honest, you seemed to understand me pretty well, also apart from abbreviations most people understand what I'm trying to convey, in some situations proper English/grammar is required, yes, but I'm not applying for any jobs here...
    Avoiding grammar doesn't please me, I'm just kinda lazy.
    Also lastly, people definitely communicate to please themselves sometimes...
    Also fixed that for you. This time. I needed the Urban Dictionary as well as the normal dictionary to know exactly what you meant. Don't do that ever again!
    Last edited by zeemeerman2; 2011-01-10 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Forgot a little part to edit. Grammar police, always helping you to clean your mistakes. :)

also lastly, people definatly comunicate to please themselves sometimes...
    I didnt mean pleasure from communicating, i meant pleasure from talking. Thats when you talk just for the sake of it, and dont care about what others say or if they even listen to you.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeemeerman2 View Post
    Also fixed that for you. This time. I needed the Urban Dictionary as well as the normal dictionary to know exactly what you meant. Don't do that ever again!
    ty lol, did u learn from using them?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    That is good and well if you are fine with the consequence that eventually people might not take you seriously or don't bother communicating with you, because you come across as shallow or lazy or even just plain dumb (not saying you ARE, but if we only have your written English to go by, that impression might linger)
    fair point, so far i am pretty happy with the concequences.
    i guess its pretty individual the things people presume about others based on some relativly minimal text, i kinda try to presume nothing

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Swede, I've studied English in school since I was seven years old (I'm turning 19 this year). I've played video games all my life and I spend a reasonably large amount of time in front of the tv, watching BBC Knowledge and National Geographic. Also, unlike for example Germany, we don't dub neither movies nor series (except if they're aimed at children, we obviously dub movies like Toy Story 3, etc). All of that combined makes it hard to not get a good grasp of the English language.

A friend and I used to play on US servers for roughly a year, and you can't imagine how many Americans we've taught the difference between your and you're. I am sure a lot of people know the difference but simply cannot bother to type the two extra symbols, but we've found that a large number of people (not only twelve year olds) who have English as their first language, really don't know the difference!

Some grammar can be difficult to understand, but the difference between your and you're, were and we're, etc. just isn't.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmonduu View Post
    It's because the blabbering idiots can not be bothered typiong out www.mmo-champion.com, but instead write mmoc.com and then yell at the computer when it doesn't work.
    I don't know which browser you use but in Chrome I just need to write mmo and press enter.

If you don't know the language well, then you don't but carelessly discarding it when you do is asinine. Decent grammar can be the difference between "Helping your uncle jack off a horse" and "Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse."