Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Imagine you're at work.
    You work 20 more hours than you're supposed to one week.
    The next week you come in a couple of hours late on one day.

Will your boss say:
    a - I really appreciate all you've done last week, feel free to come in late from now on
    b - We start work here around x-o'clock, and I expect everyone to be here on time

Most bosses will do 'b'. the fact that you worked more the prior week may contribute to you being a good boy. It may also mean a bonus. Or it may mean the boss can give you more stuff to do and never pay you extra for it.
    But unless your boss specifically states that you are now allowed to take those 20 hours off whenever you please, you aren't entitled to them.

In WoW most guild leaders aren't as sophisticated as RL bosses. Therefore their actions are unpredictable, and not necessary consistent.

In my opinion you should stop wasting your time by donating stuff to G-bank. Instead of getting raid spot for your efforts, you are getting complaints about gold usage.
    You are wrong on both fronts:
    1 - using gold dedicated for 'rading'
    2 - donating stuff to bank for nothing in return

Personally, I choose not to use the guild repair function unless the durability loss comes from a guild function, be it a raid, heroics, whatever. Take from that what you will.

I give shit to my guild every day. I make flasks and hand them out for free. I dump tons of leather, cloth, and fish into the bank, I even specifically go out of my way to get hard to find things for people free of charge, yet I am smart enough to still somehow know I'm not automatically entitled to anything because of it, nor should I be. Guild repairs are turned on for a raid and turned on after. Figuring out that its intended use is by the RAIDERS currently raiding is like putting 2 and 2 together to get 4. It is really that basic and obvious of a concept.

write a list of the mats you supplied him (pyrite isnt cheap) and send him the bill. I understand if your guild has this policy, but he should definetly let it slide since you helped him level his profession, and contribute a lot to the gbank.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Obviously bank funds were made for raiders, but the bahaviour of the GM (sending a mail instead of actually talking to you) can lead to players getting so annoyed that they will think twice of ever being so generous with donations again.
    That pretty much covers it.

Guild repairs are for guild repairs, not for when you wipe on a boss. I spend at least 1k gold every 3 hours of raiding which includes flasks, food, pots, ext. I think what a couple hundred gold a day, which is all you need with guild levels taking less durability, is ok for them to part with and when that cap is reached for guild repairs then its on my back to use my gold to repair. Keep hitting that guild repair button as long as its there, my UI even auto repairs with guild repair because thats what guild gold is for. And having to use guild funds to lvl professions means you shouldn't be leveling those professions, not like gold is hard to get.

So, basically, you're saying that you knew the repairs were for the raid only but went ahead and took advantage of it anyway because you help contribute to your guild.

That is what you're saying, right? That you feel justified to break the well-established rules of your guild just because you feel they owe you.

That's what I thought.

And the only punishment you got for stealing from your guild -- which you knew you were doing, but rationalized away -- was an email requesting the gold you stole back.

And you still think you're in the right.

Okay then. Not surprised to see you're a Night Elf at all.

Deleted
    One thing your GM needs to learn is where to and where not to focus attention as petty things like this tend to blow up massively if handled wrongly.

If it has been explicitly stated that the repair is for raiding only then you are definitely in the wrong and should pay it back and get on with things as normal.

If it wasn't then your GM is being imo a bit of a power crazed dick. 40g is bugger all compared to potentially losing a player who contributes a lot to a guild. Being in charge of a guild you need a lot of people management skills and it sounds like he is lacking. Pay it back or don't pay it back sooner or later something else will probably happen and he will be a dick again, I'd say save yourself the bother ask for your stuff back and go look somewhere else, bad GMs are not worth sticking around for.

if you like the guild, pay back the 40g, but stop putting mats in guild bank unless asked.

tbh you have no reason to give the guild more then you have to if they are going to be nitpicking about a few g´s.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would pay the 40g that's nothing in my opinion.
    *Edit* But i would also put less in the guild bank is someone freaked out about 40g.
    Last edited by sharpy; 2011-01-07 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomster View Post
    what does his avatar being a night elf have to do with anything?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

I'm the GM of a semi hardcore 10m guild with exactly 10 people so we all know each other very well now after 2 and a half some odd years. I know personally that 2 of my raiders put in alot of effort building the gbank keeping it stocked with herbs ore gems flasks leather and I put one of them in charge of keeping all 8 tabs organized which is alot of work. My solution to reward their above average contribution was to simply create a new rank for over achievers dubbed Senior Raider. They are allowed to spend bank money on repairs and have access to more withdrawls etc then my other raiders who I know only do the farming they need to support them selves.

I personally think you should tell your GM to go suck a bag of dicks because he knows personally of your extra contributions because like you said you gave him surplus amounts of ore to lvl BS. If your GM refuses to acknowledge people who put forth more then the necessary effort then hes not a good GM. Keeping your raiders motivated and thanking them when they do more then what they have to is what makes devoted raiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Silver
    "Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day."

I'm really surprised by people who think the GM is in the wrong here or that he's being a prick about it. The guy used guild funds to repair for his own personal use, which any GM would typically enforce them paying back no matter how much they've donated to the guild. Especially if when he noticed it he let it be known to the rest of the guild that you did it, so if he doesn't cut down on enforcement people would take advantage. It's all about your perception as a leader and letting people get away with something like this, on purpose, is completely hazardous to a guild leader.

I mean seriously think about it from the GM's perspective. You used funds that are intended for raids for your own personal use and didn't say anything. Any GM in his right mind would question it no matter how much you've contributed to the guild. Stop taking it so damn personally and look at it from his eyes as a 'businessman' in charge of maintaining his raiding guild. People take GM decisions so personally sometimes it's ridiculous because the majority of the time they're done for the good of the guild.

You're in the wrong OP, at the very least you should have said something about doing it and not just try to seemingly get away with it as you did. That may not have been your intent, but it comes off that way because you didn't bring it up to the GM.
    Last edited by sicness; 2011-01-07 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfador View Post
    Are you serious? You're saying that if repairs are on that automatically means you could use them? That's hilarious. So if you're to be believed, the GM is at fault here because he doesn't manually change everyone's rank whenever they enter or leave a raid? Here's a freaking novel idea, don't use guild repairs unless you've been told it's ok.

And to the OP, no, depositing stuff doesn't automatically entitle you to any benefits unless the GM or someone else the GM has given the authority tells you its ok.
    He did attend the raid though. Even though he was sitting out for someone else he apparently was online the whole time and could've been called in at any time, and just that entitles him to use the same services as those in the actual raid.
    It's the same thing as ppl getting DKP for sitting out for someone else, aslong as they stay online?

To OP: Give him his lousy 40g, take ur shit out of the gb/demand him to buy you all the mats hes used from you back, and get your ass out of there.

Since you were ready to raid but they were full up and you had to sit but decided to spend raid time still trying to advance your character I believe you had as much right as the people raiding to use the repairs. GM is a douche for making a big deal over 40g unless you are doing this habitually.

If you have donated so much in the way of mats + gold they should shut up and quit their whining...but take their attitude as a hint...try get as much of your stuff back out of the bank and give them their 40g and dont donate squat for anyone.
    That reaction is prety much why i dont put anything in Gbanks particularly if its a required donation...but then i dont use guild mats for enchants gems or crafting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's pretty obvious what is going on here. Here is a person that is contributing greatly to the guild, and then when he uses but a fraction of what he himself contributed, he got dumped on.

OP, your guild is using you, and aren't appreciative of the efforts you put into the guild to make it better. Remove the items you've donated and then deposit the 40g they are being so anal about. Any guild that can't see the bigger picture when one of their members contributes so much to the guild, then rags on them about a little thing like this doesn't deserve what you are contributing to it. People that think the OP is in the wrong? INCORRECT. A guild should be willing to help the members that help make the guild better. When it becomes a one way street in either direction, then the people doing the taking aren't respecting the people doing the giving. That's bad.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomster View Post
    So, basically, you're saying that you knew the repairs were for the raid only but went ahead and took advantage of it anyway because you help contribute to your guild.

That is what you're saying, right? That you feel justified to break the well-established rules of your guild just because you feel they owe you.

That's what I thought.

And the only punishment you got for stealing from your guild -- which you knew you were doing, but rationalized away -- was an email requesting the gold you stole back.

And you still think you're in the right.

I agree with this . . . except for the night elf part.

OP, rules are rules. It doesn't matter whether you felt you deserved special treatment, you should still abide by them. Holding gifts over people's heads is kinda douchey, to be honest. Yeah, you never said you brought up your contributions to your GM, but you did that here.

What you should have done is asked the GM if raiders that are benched can use the bank for their heroic runs that night, as a little consolation for people that are missing out. This is not unheard of. Asking for special treatment that only applies to you would be dumb, though. Of course, you should have brought this up BEFORE you just took money from the bank.

It's stupid to feel entitled to things. Ask before you take.

What's appalling is the amount of people in this topic suggesting the TC up and leave his guild because he broke the rules and only got a slap on the wrist.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Send him a bill for the money that got automatically deposited from guild perk and tell him to stfu. If your GM is that big of a douche, i would take all the mats you put in and find a new guild.

as the GM of my guild, with a full 7 tabs and over 100k gold in it, i'll say this.

guild banks are about give and take - you've been donating ore/herbs/fish etc so i wouldn't have a problem with you taking a few gold for heroic repairs. if you didn't contribute any materials or gold to the guild bank and were frequently using the guild bank funds for repairs, i'd tell you specfically not to use them for heroics and only for raids unless you are making noticable contributions to the guild bank. if you then continued to use guild bank repairs outside of raids, i would then demote you to a rank incapable of using guild repairs

tell your GM that the mats you've been donating to the guild bank should be taken into account, or that you forgot to repair after the previous nights raiding and only realised when you came out of the heroic and your gear was red (i get that excuse a lot)

we use GB repairs primarily for raids in my guild and i wont go apeshit about anyone using them to repair from heroics unless they contribute nothing except the 5% of mob loot from the guild perk, generally those people wont have guild bank repairs available, or will have a very low limit set for their repairs or none at all.

even when someone does abuse the GB repair system, i generally dont make them pay it back (omg 40g from our pile of 100,000g!!), they get a friendly reminder to only use them for raids and a warning that abusing them will result in a demotion or /Gkick if they're caught doing it again. generally i'll then find they make a big 1000g donation to the GB to make up for it or will have donated a bunch of herbs, ores or leather.

oh and additionally, there's a guild achievement for guild bank repairs, i'll actually be opening up GB repairs for everything (raids, heroics, old content etc) once the guild has the 10% mob loot perk