Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Are Chaos orbs useful?

I've been wondering for some time now how useful Chaos orbs are.. I mean i see in trade that people are crafting stuff and sells their chaos orbs for like 1k or 1.5k each, and i know that they are needed to create quality gear but. I'm an engineer and once i got 525 in skill i needed a chaos orb to create my epic goggles. I went about 3 instances until i got one orb and then created my head.

Every dungeon i go i press need on the Orbs, even though the only really good thing i can use them for is the goggles, and i need 1 for them, and well i already got them so chaos orbs has no use for me. But i was thinking what if there will be recipes in the future for engineering that requires chaos orbs? I've got about 7 of them in my bank.

I understand that in wotlk we had frost orbs, runed orbs, alot of different orbs. But they were all tradeable and therefore not rare.
    Now in cataclysm we've got 1 orb so far that is soulbound and made so that only people who can use them will be able to need on them, does this mean that chaos orbs will still be in use when like for example.. the next tier gets released? Or will there be an entirely new orb?

Should i keep stocking up on the orbs or should i just delete them all? Not sure what to do here.

Not as an engineer imho. Again, there is hardly any market for our creations. People'd rather spam heroics a few days than spend any money on a bow we can make. Also we are again the only profession without an epic quality BoE item. The bow was for a while, but that didn't last.
    I have 25+ orbs and i just feel i stole from people that could've put them to good use.

Deleted
    Why would you keep them? If you will actually need one you'll be able to go get it... it's just a hc.
    Also HC orbs were BoP in the begining... just sayin'

10+ Year Old Account
    OP you are about to enter a poop storm of epic magnitude for saying that you have 7 of those in your bank and no use for them.

On topic. I would stop rolling on them and just have the people who need them for crafting get them. You have enough atm I imagine for when (And IF) they upgrade the Engineering helm and or add more engineering items that require said orbs.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

you need em for the guns/bows, so i would stock up on a few, just incase you have guildies who want them, or you change specs.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

In my opinion tailoring has the best implementation of chaos orbs. They don't specifically need them for any of their crafted items. They need dreamcloth though, and without chaos orbs they can only make 5 dreamcloth per week. If they choose to they can go out and farm heroics for orbs for more dreamcloth. This is actually a great system, because it makes it so players who do their crafting on alts don't have to worry about gearing up the alt and going through heroics with them and rolling on chaos orbs just to make recipes. Honestly I wish blacksmithing were more like this. Make it so recipes dont need chaos orbs, but need an elementium or pyrium based recipe to use instead, make that item so that it can only be crafted once a day or has different recipes on a weekly cooldown, then let them have unlimited crafts of that item using chaos orbs as reagent. It would certainly make crafting 346 weapons and items more viable.

Are you a troll? Honestly? If you don't know what they are used for then why would you even roll on them. I think you're a troll and trying to spark up the whole, "OMG Chaos Orbs should not be soul bound" flame.

Engineers can use Chaos Orbs to make the ilvl 346 blue ranged weapons.

But yeah, if you don't actually have a use for the Chaos Orbs, leave them alone. If all they're going to do is sit in your bags or bank, they're of no value to you. A plate-wearing tank will want something like six of them for the craftable Blacksmithing gear (and perhaps one for their own Engineering helmet), and I assume the Leatherworkers want a similar number for their epics too.

If you don't have a use for them, leave them alone, other people genuinely do need them.

Deleted
    I'm not a troll really, but after i did 3hcs to get 1 chaos orb for an epic helmet from engineering i thought that if they were to upgrade engineering and put in more recipes then i would rather have the mats sitting in my bank rather than go out on a farmtrip in hcs.

I know that they are like only good for blue stuff atm and one epic item but who knows what the future brings? what if in one or two months they will release a bunch of engineering recipes that needs chaos orbs to craft epic items, then i would be kind of happy to have a bunch lying in my bank.

Even though i do not have an immediate use of them now, i know for a fact that other people don't really use them for themself either, alot of people farm orbs to sell them to people who want stuff crafted. Most people that REALLY need them to create epic gear for raiding should already have the gear they need by now.

But as there is no information about orbs afaik, i have no idea if the chaos orbs will still stick around later, or maybe they will even get tradeable and i can make a bunch of money.

I mean i don't mean to be rude to anyone but in random dungeon i go with people that i will probably not see anymore, so if i need on the orb they can't know if i can use them or not and if they get mad at me well, dungeon over goodbye and welcome new random people.

like someone mentioned, orbs for engineers can be used to make ranged weapons that hunters will be looking for - kickback 5000 is probably the best with its socket and socket bonus.

i find it disturbing that you need on it even when you have no use for it. not saying you shouldnt need on it to produce a ranged weapon to sell on AH, you should. but to need on it just because you can...just saying i would be pissed if i knew that and it was the last mat i needed for my epic item.

Deleted
    Orbs may prove useful to engineers since crafting chicken spiltter may discover new schmatics

Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    I'm not a troll really, but after i did 3hcs to get 1 chaos orb for an epic helmet from engineering i thought that if they were to upgrade engineering and put in more recipes then i would rather have the mats sitting in my bank rather than go out on a farmtrip in hcs.

I know that they are like only good for blue stuff atm and one epic item but who knows what the future brings? what if in one or two months they will release a bunch of engineering recipes that needs chaos orbs to craft epic items, then i would be kind of happy to have a bunch lying in my bank.

Even though i do not have an immediate use of them now, i know for a fact that other people don't really use them for themself either, alot of people farm orbs to sell them to people who want stuff crafted. Most people that REALLY need them to create epic gear for raiding should already have the gear they need by now.

But as there is no information about orbs afaik, i have no idea if the chaos orbs will still stick around later, or maybe they will even get tradeable and i can make a bunch of money.

I mean i don't mean to be rude to anyone but in random dungeon i go with people that i will probably not see anymore, so if i need on the orb they can't know if i can use them or not and if they get mad at me well, dungeon over goodbye and welcome new random people.
    If you plan to use them then go for it and take them just don't throw them out or sell them. I'm stuck needing one for my engineering helmet at the moment and I just need to go do the heroic and hope I win it.

Keep doing what you're doing, you're just as entitled to the loot as the next guy in your group are.
    If you one day WOULD have more use of them, it'd be awesome having them lying around.
    Who knows, maybe blizzard will listen to you engineers and provide recipe drops where ever in the next week or month

10+ Year Old Account
    I made 15k gold last week in 2 days selling all 20 orbs i had from running heroics, selling them for 500g each (plus tips, but i didnt ask for them).

You probably could sell those orbs if you advertised your crafting in trade, people do buy stuff if they see someone selling.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

It is possible that at a later date they bring out an upgraded version of the Engineer Goggles like the recipes from SWP at the end of TBC, but it might well be later in the xpac and most probably will use whatever Orb is currently tied to the tier. And to everyone who is flaming him for stocking up on them, if people really need orbs for gear, then make a guild group where you will be guarnteed the orb at the end. So far most people i know who are needing on orbs are purely to craft and profit from on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Vepres View Post
    In my opinion tailoring has the best implementation of chaos orbs. They don't specifically need them for any of their crafted items. They need dreamcloth though, and without chaos orbs they can only make 5 dreamcloth per week. If they choose to they can go out and farm heroics for orbs for more dreamcloth.
    yeah - i love the fact that i can use 5 chaos orbs to make a dreamcloth without a cooldown...but still get qq from randoms and even some guildies about needing on orbs if i'm only going to chew them up for cloth. what's a girl to do? oh wait - i can take that chaos orb and make me a http://www.wowhead.com/spell=75288 lol
    Last edited by adindra; 2011-01-07 at 08:03 PM.
    ~ "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Deleted
    Well to be honest i'm not finding any reason at all not to need at the orbs, i mean i seriously doubt that blizzard only gave us one really good item to use chaos orbs on, and that this item only needs one chaos orb? I mean sure the bow and the gun is great too but they are ilvl 346, Blue items. Blue items aren't that attractive to me, epics are. I'm half epic atm and the only epic my profession could craft was a head. The other 2 useful equipments from engineering is blue items.

I mean blizzard made it so that only professions that can use chaos orbs will be able to roll on it. I know for a fact that alchemists cant roll on the item, however they can create ONE epic item, a trinket. Engineers can also only create ONE epic item but we can roll on the orbs. Did blizzard really intended for us engineers to need on something that most professions need so that we can make 2 blue stuff and one epic? If that is the case they might of just taken away the chaos orb as a requirement from all of thoose 3 items as there is really no difference from alchemy.

I think that in the future Engineering will have more use of chaos orbs, and if not well then i atleast hope they get tradeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    Should i keep stocking up on the orbs or should i just delete them all? Not sure what to do here.
    Engineers got slightly screwed in this regard. Blacksmiths in particular can ask a very high price for their orbs. Tailors and leatherworkers can ask somewhat less, but still a substantial amount. That's because they craft epic gear that is as good as anything from a raid.

Engineers on the other hand can craft two 346 level items, a gun and a bow, that are both not only mediocre themselves, but have easily available 346 item alternatives. Adding to that, the mats cost on the 346 level items are as expensive as most of the crafted 359 level epics.

I've been able to sell precisely one orb as an engineer and I got 700g for it. I still roll on orbs in pure pugs, but I don't bother if a guildie needs them.

Don't delete them, they stack and don't take up much space. They'll be BoE several patches down the road I'm sure. Alternatively, you might find some use for them for the rare person that actually needs a crafted engineering item.

As an engineer I just greed on the orbs atm. Got about 5 so far with greeding, didn't "steal" them from anybody who could put them to better use and if they get useful someday or I decide to change prof I have at least some orbs ready.. works for me

As an engineer I made the helm and a bow for my hunter whenever he hits 85, now i just keep 5 in the bank for making bows/guns for other people. I greed on the orbs in runs now as long as i have 5 orbs in the bank. I spam trade and maybe once a week someone will want me to make a bow for them. I charge 100g for the orb if they have the mats so they get a great deal and i make the little money i can with the profession.