Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Mage Frost PvP Guide for Cataclysm

UPDATED TO 4.2
    Alright I'll start this by saying I'm not a gladiator. But I have been playing at gladiator range (2700) against multiple rank1 gladiators and blizzcon winners and I also have experience on 5different classes at 2200+ ratings so my general knowledgebase is decent.
    This guide holds alot of MY OWN personal opinions, if you disagree feel free but don't start a flamewar there is no point.

Content
    1. Spec
    2. Gearing
    3. Macros & Keybindings
    4. Teams & Setups.

1. Spec, where to put those extra talent points?

Spec:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oMZcbz...szMo:MRmMdkzmM

This is what I am using, I'll start by saying there is ALOT of different spec choises you should consider when specing you mage.
    The 7points in fire tree are mostly extra talentpoints.
    So you can mess around with the 8 "extra" talent points, you can get haste and interrupt damage(invocation) from arcane etc.

Thats basically covered, choose the extra 8 talent points(that is in the fire spec in this one) with your playstyle, what you usually do and wich one of them benefits your setup.

Glyphs
    Prime:

Glyph of Ice Lance, Nothing is better.
    Glyph of Frostbolt, Nothing is better.
    Glyph of Frostfire, Nothing is better.

Major:

Glyph of Polymorph
    Glyph of Ice Barrier This is situational, some people use this instead and swap Evoction to Frost Armor but I myself prefer using Poly, Evo and Frost Armor.
    Glyph of Frost Armor
    Glyph of Evocation

The reasoning why is that evocation has saved my life so many times when I'm low and my healer is cc'd I'll just start hardcasting evo to keep myself alive. The absorb provided by the glyph of barrier is so small I really don't feel it's necessary at all.

Minor:
    These 2 are VERY good, if you don't want to carry Light Feathers with you, get the slow fall glyph. Conjuring is good because it reduces the manacost of managem aswell, so if you are having long matches where you might even end up using all of your charges, this one is very good.
    Glyph of Slow Fall
    Glyph of Conjuring

2. Gearing up, gemming, what to choose?

Hit.
    The most important stat for you to choose is HIT.
    The PvP hitcap for a mage is 4% in cataclysm.
    It should be easy to obtain, if you are under the hitcap don't forget Reforging will always help you out (:

Spell Penetration.
    Secondary and very close up on the list is Spell Penetration, you will need about 195 Spell Penetration since this is what the resistance auras, totems etc. give out max.
    Against other Mages, they will be running with Mage Armor wich increases their resistances by 45 so with buffs and Mage Armor they can reach up to 240 resistance to your spells.
    Ruthless offsets give you 240 so this will suffice, you don't need to gem for it even if you only have a Vicious piece that gives spellpene, it's enough. I'm running with Spell penetration neck since I can get a masterycloak but I cannot get a masteryneck.

Now we go into the part wich is kinda blurry for most people atm.

Haste/Crit/Mastery, what to choose?
    Why would you gem for crit when you have [Shatter]? Because it multiplies your crit chance by 3. So lets say you are running with 15% crit, if the target is frozen you will have 3x15% wich is 45%, thats very low thinking you want to crit with each Ice Lance or Frostbolt on frozen targets. So best to get is 18-22% crit wich will then put your shatters up to decent crit chanse. Gemming crit until you reach a reasonable amount is suggested.
    You will be low on crit at lower level gear (Vicious) but as you get more Ruthless items your crit will increase by a significant amount. Just remember don't reforge the crit away at low crit levels.

Haste I have to say, one of the most useless stats for mages right now. I tried full haste but I sacrificed so much crit and mastery it's ridiculous. I tried it in bg's. Yes my casts were really fast but I had so low crit I rarely crit and spamming frostbolts that hit for about 6-9k is shit. Don't go haste, it's not worth it.

As for mastery, you will have about 2.00 mastery rating without any gained from gear, it will increase your damage to frozen targets. If the more mastery you have the more dmg you do. That is AWESOME. Mastery is our mainstat after getting your crit high enough 18-22%. Mastery will let you get those 70k shatters into low resilience targets. I myself if I recall my biggest crits were a 42k Frostbolt followed by a 38k Ice Lance. That my friends is alot of damage.

Gearing, how much resilience do I need?
    (my armory; http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rixzy/advanced)

Resilience for a Frostmage is starting to be key, try to aim for about 3.8k+ resilience, dont take those pve pieces since Ruthless has resil on it, depeding your setup ofcourse but nowdays Mages are the targets people go for (Hunters/Rets/Wars/DK's) hit hard

More about gemming:
    Yellow; Intellect / Mastery
    Red; Intellect
    Meta; Burning Shadowspirit Diamond (+54 Intellect and 3% Increased Critical Damage.)
    Blue; Intellect / Hit.
    Prismatic; Intellect.
    Cogwheels; Mastery and Crit.

With this gemming you will have 3 Blue gems (Gloves, Belt & Legs). You will have 4Red gems(Helm, Chest, Prismatic socket on belt. & Pants.) and 3 Yellow ones. (Shoulder, Feet & Chest.)

With all the changes made in the recent patches etc I'm running with 17.14% crit, I played with a Feral druid who brought me the 5% crit aura that popped me up to 22.14% and going full out mastery. My spellpower is really high with my ragnaros trinket passive and after they buffed it no doubt one of the best trinkets for arena. (If you cannot get your hands on rag trinket get Moonwell Chalice / DMC:V / Soul Casket, these are all good trinkets that give you amazing burst).

Enchants:
    Head, Guardians of Hyjal Revered; 60Int 35Crit (or resil)
    Shoulder, Therazane Exalted; 50Int 25Haste (or resil)
    Cloak, Enchanter; 50Intellect
    Chest, Enchanter; 40Resilience
    Wrist, Enchanter; 50Int
    Mh Weapon, Enchanter; Power Torrent
    Oh, Enchanter; 40Int
    Gloves, Enchanter; 65Mastery
    Legs, Tailor; 95Int 85Stam
    Feet, Enchanter; Movement Speed and 35 Mastery

Now you have your gear and spec set up time to get into action.

3. Macros and Keybindings, how will I become better by using these?

Keybindings
    Starting off, I suggest you bind almost all your abilites to some key in your keyboard. Most common bindings are 1-5,(since your fingers probably are not long enough to reach the 0 button while your right hand is on the mouse, yes you need to keep your right hand on the mouse.)Shift+1-5 keys, Control+1-5keys and Alt+1-5 keys. You can add such bindings as E,S+E,C+E,Q,S+Q,C+Q,0,F,T,F,C ETC...(all of these with shift + control modifiers),Shift+Space etc. there is over 60bindings you can put into your keyboard that you can reach with your left hand alone, not even including the keybindings you can add to your mouse Mousewheelup, mousewheel down, mousewheel button with modifiers. If you have additional buttons on your mouse them aswell.

Keybinding is essential if you keep your actionbar looking like (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0-+) with important spells on those, you will have to move your right hand from your mouse to your keyboard or stop moving with your character. Removing your right hand from the mouse will limit your view in arena, you cannot see what is happening if you are looking at a wall and have your right hand on the keyboard, so keep it on the mouse.

A good tip is to bind Q, E and S to abilities and change your A and D key to strafing. This will prevent backpedaling(yes, there is NO reason AT ALL for you to EVER s-key.) This will also give you more bindings and you'll get used to strafing and keeping you hand on the mouse.

Macros
    Focus target counterspells and sheeps are essential in the arena for a mage, you will need to set up a focus target (usually the healer) and while targeting your nuke target you can click on a macro to do something to your focus target without switching targets.

Here is a picture of my current UI;
    TrixzyUI

My bottomleft actionbar is hidden with abilities that are spammable and have no cooldown, fbolt/lance/decurse/buffs/armors etc.
    Rest of the UI is pretty default I have Prat, Bigwigs and my own addon that removes the Gryphons, adds Classicons and shows 130k/130k (100%) at the same time.

CS
    Counterspells your target, if you click on shift modifier Counterspells your focus target.

#showtooltip Counterspell
    /stopcasting
    /cast [modifier:shift, target=focus] Counterspell
    /cast [nomodifier:shift] Counterspell

Sheep
    Sheeps your target, if you click on shift modifier Sheeps your focus target.

#showtooltip Polymorph
    /stopcasting
    /cast [modifier:shift, target=focus] Polymorph
    /cast [nomodifier:shift] Polymorph

Ice Block
    #showtooltip Ice block
    /stopcasting
    /cancelaura Invisibility
    /cast Ice Block

Quick Invis
    #showtooltip Invisibility
    /Stopcasting
    /cast Invisibility

Decurse
    This will decurse your mouseover target if you have one, if not it decurses yourself

/cast [target=mouseover,exists] Remove Curse
    /cast [target=player] Remove Curse

Armors
    This is a onebutton all armors kind of thing. Puts on Molten Armor without modifiers, with shift modifier Mage Armor, with control modifier Frost Armor. Molten Armor tho is mostly for PvE, you probably wont use it in arena so if you like you can replace it with Mage/Frost Armor and remove the ability from the macro

/cast [nomod:ctrl, nomod:shift] Molten Armor
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Frost Armor
    /cast [mod:shift] Mage Armor

You can find guides on other sites and AJ aswell to mage macros and how to macro stuff, this is just the basics.

4. Teams & Setups

This Section is not to tell you every comp out there you can play, and neither is this guide about what setup to run so you can get "free" glad. This guide is to help out and here is only the most "popular" comps.

RMP; Rogue Mage Priest. One of the best mage setups around, has been for a very long time.
    FMP; Feral Mage Priest. Almost like RMP but with abit more control but less versatility (no smokebombs etc.)
    MLS; Mage Lock Shaman. One of the best if not the best mage setup. This setup has so much control damage and healingpower it's hard to match up.
    MLD; Mage Lock Druid. Almost like MLS, less healingpower but abit more control. Druids are also really weak so this setup needs alot of peeling.

You shouldn't pick your class by racials pick the one you think looks awesome and stick with it. I myself am rocking my UD.

Happy Arenaing & GL!
    Last edited by Trixzy; 2011-09-11 at 11:57 PM.

Nice guide. A good, easy read with lots of information I loved (race breakdown, macros)

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for this, I only have one thing I would like to say. What about Major Glyph of Frost Nova? I find that not having that my frost nova will break almost instantly before I can even get off a single Ice Lance (this is in Rogue Mage 2v2 and Mage DK Resto Druid 3v3).
    For the Worgen! Furries of WoW unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

actually yeah, they were talking on AJ not long ago about the glyph of ice barrier only giving around 3k extra damage absorption and so wasnt worth it, however the glyph of Icy Veins can remove not only snares but necrotic strike too. other than that though it was a good guide, i'll certainly take a lot of it into account. and its good to see i've been running a popular combo with some friends without even knowing it XD (warrior, hpally, mage)

oh, and forgive me if i'm behind on the news, but what exactly is the upcoming change to stoneform?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice!

I went in here expecting another "use deep freeze and kite with ice lance + faceroll" from somebody deserving a million trollfaces saying umad covering their screen. This, however, was really nice. Good job.

Deleted
    Well, why the would you want 2/3 in improved freeze, imagine going for the kill and not have it proc that would be fudging terrible.. And in my opinion and a lot of top pvpers gnome is the best pvp race.. and atm human is utterly shit.

Good other than missing a few essential macros,
    Ice Block:
    #showtooltip Ice block
    /stopcasting
    /cancelaura Invisibility
    /cast Ice Block

and
    Quick invis:
    #showtooltip Invisibility
    /Stopcasting
    /cast Invisibility

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stoneform will change from removing bleed's / poisons to 10% reduced damage.
    2/3 Freeze is just in my own spec and since I'm running "faceroll" setup it wont be needed for the kill since I will use my pet nova on the correct way which is to land it just before my shatter lands.

As for the other macros, thanks I'll update the post.

With the new changes inc to human they will again dominate on the alliance side (EMFHS changes back to 2min cd)

With the Frost Nova glyph I have to say 20% is utterly NO damage. Let's say frostnova has a 7k damage limit glyph adds 1400 to the table which is nothing. As for the Icy Veins glyph I must have missed Necrotic Strike. But IMO IBarrier glyph is also kinda must have since warlocks wont get trained anymore but for meleeteams, they train the mage and hard.

---------- Post added 2011-01-08 at 01:49 PM ----------

Updated with Icy Veins glyph info and a couple macros thanks to; garfieldfan

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care about the hating

10% damage reduction huh? not bad at all. the advantage to the ice barrier glyph imo would be that even though it is only roughly 3k extra absorption, that will add up as its used multiple times in a fight. well, i love the guide mate. great job

oh, and i'd love to see how you play. would you have any videos or anything? maybe think about making one

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    as I said I'm not glad or anything just a 2300-2400rated player, I do stream our matches sometimes but making of a video I dont know really, that requires alot of arena and my partners aint super active atm.

There are so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to start.

I think you are very, very misinformed on how to gear and spec a frost mage, and what is needed for a frost mage to succeed in pvp.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiun View Post

I think you are very, very misinformed on how to gear and spec a frost mage, and what is needed for a frost mage to succeed in pvp.
    After looking at your armory I am VERY interested about your ideas, please share to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiun View Post

Thanks for your constructive criticism I am glad you have told us exactly how to fix this guide instead of being pointlessly vague and unhelpful by just saying "it's wrong" and not how or why.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have this same post in ArenaJunkies, I have gladiators saying this guide is correct but I could have put in more effort on the teams and strategies but the guide was mostly targeted for people gearing and getting started not what setups to play.

After I looked at his armory I see him critgemmed, full pvp-geared with 2h staff which is alot worse than MH/OH comp. But hey, he apparently knows alot more than we do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Added to the sticky guide index.

its easier right now to get a staff than 1 hander unless you pve or thru conquest pts. but otherwise ivlvl 330+ staffs are easier to get imo(lvling up quest or TB daily for insidious) if you don't have a plethora of gear choices.

i think a lot of slight variation isn't going to make or break mages, more than how well they play one. so people acting like you're not correct are really making a fuss about preference imo.

i will say that the 2nd spec is better than the first especially if you add blazing speed to it. hands down better imo.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by candyass View Post
    i will say that the 2nd spec is better than the first especially if you add blazing speed to it. hands down better imo.
    1hand/oh setup goes almost 100 int over the staff but yes, it's easier to get.

I really don't like the RNG in blazing speed, IMP blink adds ALOT of mobility to catch up kiting druids etc.
    Yet again, Personal Preference

Quote Originally Posted by Trixzy View Post
    1hand/oh setup goes almost 100 int over the staff but yes, it's easier to get.

I really don't like the RNG in blazing speed, IMP blink adds ALOT of mobility to catch up kiting druids etc.
    Yet again, Personal Preference
    its the stun thats important but getting that without a run speed effect is a waste. you either get imp blink, or blazing speed.

if anything the spec is OP'd imo.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    Added to the sticky guide index.
    Thank you (:

---------- Post added 2011-01-10 at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by candyass View Post
    its the stun thats important but getting that without a run speed effect is a waste. you either get imp blink, or blazing speed.

if anything the spec is OP'd imo.
    I wouldn't say OP'd