Wanting to strangle my imp...

I've got my imp macroed to attack when I cast my spells, and I like to play with my sound on...

Well this leads to my imp (his name is Garrot, btw) being very, very chatty. He seems to think that he needs his space and that there is some sort of contract that I'm violating by asking him to cast a fireball when, in fact, I am well within my rights to ask him to cast a few fireballs at whatever angry monster is attacking me and trying to kill me.

Is there some way to put a gag order on said Garrot so he'll freakin SHUT UP?

(For those who might not understand, is there a way to stop the imp emotes that are triggered when the petattack macro is called?) I've been looking for something and just can't seem to find anything.

should have thought about that before you made the contract!

15+ Year Old Account
    Edit: Nvm I misread

Yea in the sound options I believe there is a pet sounds on/off switch.

Amusing post btw.

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

Using such a macro (depending on what spell) will cause you to loose a lot of DPS because if your imp is already casting he will stop his cast and try to cast a new firebolt. I got mine on Bane of Doom.

you know if someone constantly ordered you to attack something even if you allready are you'd like to make his life as miserable as you can too ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Nirron View Post
    Using such a macro (depending on what spell) will cause you to loose a lot of DPS because if your imp is already casting he will stop his cast
    Actually, the macro I know about will only order your imp to cast if it isn't currently casting. This is the usual chain of events when telling a pet to attack:
    1) Client tells pet to attack/cast spell.
    2) Server receives the command to attack/cast, and starts the casting timer.
    3) Server waits for casting.
    4) Server tells client the spell was cast, and the results.
    5) Client now knows the spell was cast, and since it is on autocast automatically tells the server to cast another spell.
    6) Rinse, repeat.

Now the problem with the above sequence is that there is a lag in communication between the client and server. You can't really get around the lag of the client telling the server to cast, but you *can* get around the lag of the server telling the client it is finished casting. This is in essence what all casters can do by starting the cast of another spell before the cast bar from the previous spell has finished; the server is a few fractions of a second ahead of the client and will accept a spellcast request before the client really knows its OK.

So what the macro does is it tells the server to cast a spell *unless its already casting one*. When attached to a button which is regularly spammed it will sometimes result in a faster cast than normal, and result in an overall increase in the DPS output of the pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzan View Post
    Yea in the sound options I believe there is a pet sounds on/off switch.

Amusing post btw.
    Thank you, I found the setting. It seems that just having the meta choice "Sound Effects" unchecked wasn't enough. I had to check it, uncheck "Enable Pet Sounds" then uncheck the "Sound Effects" box again.

Garrot is now properly silenced. I am a happy lock.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sella View Post
    Garrot is now properly silenced. I am a happy lock.
    But that was not in his contract

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    But that was not in his contract
    Shhh... he didn't read the fine print.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirron View Post
    Using such a macro (depending on what spell) will cause you to loose a lot of DPS because if your imp is already casting he will stop his cast and try to cast a new firebolt. I got mine on Bane of Doom.
    Not anymore. Currently, spamming /petattack macro is not making him recast Firebolt every click, Blizz fixed someting useful, and didnt nerfed us with that... Weee!

I strangled my imp twice today...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryonnen View Post
    Not anymore. Currently, spamming /petattack macro is not making him recast Firebolt every click, Blizz fixed someting useful, and didnt nerfed us with that... Weee!
    On live it still forces the imp to recast the spell. Therefore, petattack macros on your spammable nukes is a bad idea. Obviously the op is using:

#showtooltip Immolate
    /cast [@pettarget, exists] Firebolt
    /cast Immolate

Or something like this.

I didn't even know you could disable pet sounds. This post is not only amusing but also instructive!
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side