[Off Topic Forums Suggestion] Prohibited Topic/Response Reevaluation: Religion

Hey MMO-Champ Mods, Admins, Users and Readers--

I'd like to preface this post by saying that this is more of an inquiry about why it is prohibited (despite searching through the numerous thread-posting guideline posts and using the search tool, I was rather unsuccessful in finding an answer).

With the recent inclusion of the set of off-topic forums, I was hopeful that the Religion topic might be available for discussion . While I was rather disappointed to see it was an unapproved topic (coupled, reasonably I suppose, with Politics) for posting in terms of content, I can understand why--it has been, is, and will more than likely be a touchy topic for people everywhere. Considering how large the MMO-Champion forums and community are, I came to the conclusion that this topic (in addition to some of the other hot-button topics) were prohibited due to the nature of how discussions on these topics usually morph into debates and 'flaming'--where both sides of the argument are guilty in more ways than one.

However, I believe I am most troubled by the inclusion of some topics but that religious discussions were still not permitted. In particular, LGBT threads. I find, that in principle, Homosexuality, and one's sexual orientation in general--at least in today's day and age--could be compared to religion in the context of discussing them similarly. Both are often contested, and debated in the public forum (as a whole, not limited to just these forums, of course), and in most cases, an individual's views on one or the other help shape their worldview and outlook on life.

While I personally do not identify with the LGBT community (in the sense of sexual attraction), I feel that I can identify with them when it comes to being an unjustly-persecuted minority. In a similar fashion, most people align themselves (both politically, ethically, morally, and the like) according to their beliefs and belief systems. For many (as I have gathered personally from talking to LGBT friends and guildies), being gay or transgender is something that helps define who they are. I think that many of the devout--regardless of belief system, structure or lack thereof--would say that being a part of that group/denomination/sect/community/ect defines how they do things in their lives--often times, its so important that its paramount.

While I will adhere to the best of my ability the rules and guidelines set by the moderation staff here at MMO, I would love a little background as to why. The world of religion is one that offers new insights and has shaped how human history has played out--for better of for worse. I firmly believe that constructive discussion can occur on this topic--even online.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cairne&n=Carexis

We had a thread a while back about the War on Christmas, and it delved a lot into religious debate. I only had to ban one person for flaming, but that single post aside it was extremely mature and interesting talk. I would actually support threads about religion, it's just the issue is they really can infuriate people to the very core unlike politics. An example I brought up once was that a person cannot identity him or herself as a Keynesian to the core of their being, but can very easily define their person as a Good Christian. It's reasons similar to this that myself and the other moderators agreed upon no religion, except in that one particular thread simply because opinions were stated so succinctly.

This may change int he future though, and I'm all for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Generally, I would rather not have topics dealing with religion. There really isn't much room for discussion when you're dealing with someones faith. However, if you had an idea for a thread, send a PM to the moderators and we'll decide if it's appropriate to the forums.

I have to agree with Fuzzzie here. A certain archbishop in Belgium has proven that fact over and over in the press lately, overzealous religious points of view will cause massive rage and vice versa. The central core of religion is (blind) faith after all, which is directly opposite to debate in my eyes. Making every discussion on the matter pointless, even dangerous.
    Then again I doubt we'll start the crusades/witch trials again by mere forum posts, so it's up to the mods of course.

Off-Topic forums are an experiment, I just try to figure out how mature the community can be and see what kind of subjects can be discussed. I already warned when I first opened the forums that a lot of stuff could change in the future, I'm sure things will get better over time and the community will settle down but for the moment we didn't reach the point where we can have happy fun discussions about religion.