15+ Year Old Account

Magmaw questions

Hi mates,

I want to know something about the Magmaw encounter. How come it's prefered to use two tanks, when one tank can take care of Magmaw and DPS slow down parasites so we don't need kiting from an off tank? I mean it's not like there's a debuff making sure the tanks need to switch place. I know that the main tank will be eaten and has to be healed a lot, but when that is done, can't the main tank continue on Magmaw again?

Deleted
    One tank is not only easier, but preferred.

Anyone trying to off-tank the adds is retarded...

Deleted
    Hm, I've never used more than one tank on magmaw.

10+ Year Old Account
    We tried two first. Then realised it was retarded and used one and killed him really quick.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Deleted
    On ten man we used the 1 tank, but when we did on 25 man on Wednesday I believe we used 2 I'm not sure though. Definately only need 1 for 10 man, let your OT go DPS.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=78199
    that gets thrown up on the tank post mangle, so it can help to switch after each mangle

Deleted
    Only reason to switch would be the armor reduce debuff, but we don't find it neccessary and use one tank anyway.

Deleted
    Hello there,
    we just use a single tank for Magmaw on 10-man. When the tank gets mangled, people jump on his head to chain him to the spike, he spits the tank out and enters the exposed head phase; the tank can then pick him up normally. There actually is a debuff called Sweltering Armor or something that reduces the tank's armor by 50% for 2 minutes, so using another tank would make healing easier. Also the DPS can overaggro the tank while he's being crushed so he should just taunt the boss when he reenters the normal phase.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean it's not like there's a debuff making sure the tanks need to switch place
    Minus 50% armour for 2 minutes after being eaten says otherwise.
    If your healers can heal through it carry on. Otherwise, it's a tank swap. For our first kill we did 2 tanks, just so that the big survival cooldowns weere always available on the tank being eaten.
    On top of that, when the MT gets eaten, someone in melee range is going to get hit at least once, so having a second tank taunt as soon as the MT gets eaten is handy.

As mentioned, tanking the Parasite adds is pants on head retarded

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing we noticed in 25man (We did it with one tank) Was that everytime a exposed head phase ended, the tank wouldn't be on the top of threat anymore. He taunted during the head phase, but he didn't gain any threat (Apparently) and what happens was that a dps would be smacked (One shot if not plate with tons of hp) and THEN the tank would be able to taunt magmaw back to him.

Step 1. A single Tank is much better. Make sure your MT is aware he/she has to taunt back after Mangle as there is an aggro reset afaik.

Step 2. Get 1 ranged to kite the Parasites around and leave the rest of your DPS on Magmaw.

Step 3. Profit.

(This is my guilds 10 man strat and works great)

Deleted
    dont let your dps stand too close adter a head phase, stand on the spike =)

Quote Originally Posted by etsumii View Post
    The thing we noticed in 25man (We did it with one tank) Was that everytime a exposed head phase ended, the tank wouldn't be on the top of threat anymore. He taunted during the head phase, but he didn't gain any threat (Apparently) and what happens was that a dps would be smacked (One shot if not plate with tons of hp) and THEN the tank would be able to taunt magmaw back to him.
    Head is a different unit. Much like XT002 and XT002's Heart.

You can't taunt head to gain aggro on body.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    we had two tanks, sort of. all ranged slowed/dps'd/kited the adds and then we had an OT standing by to switch with the MT after the mangle to help out the healers a little.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauhour View Post
    Head is a different unit. Much like XT002 and XT002's Heart.

You can't taunt head to gain aggro on body.
    I guess it's safe to say that Magmaw's Mangle removes the threat of the target it picks up (current tank), hence 2 would be safest in 25man where he can 1shot damage dealers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hils View Post
    Step 1. A single Tank is much better. Make sure your MT is aware he/she has to taunt back after Mangle as there is an aggro reset afaik.

Step 2. Get 1 ranged to kite the Parasites around and leave the rest of your DPS on Magmaw.

Step 3. Profit.

(This is my guilds 10 man strat and works great)
    this but you shouldnt be nedded to kite just slow and aow nuke adds down

Your melee getting OS is their fault. Don't stand behind the head in head phase but in front. That way you're out of range from Magmaw when he rises.

we didn't even really kite them
    we used one tank, a ranged and a meleecamp+tankhealer

the rangecamp just had to move between 2 positions and range-aoe'd the parasites (lock, firemage, hunter, balance druid were oure ranged)

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont understand it. There are so many guides that say have the tank pick them up... Yeah great idea, I want extra adds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those guides are mostly from the beta i would guess, as tanking them now will just spawn an unending chain.

Yes for 10 man you want a single tank, on 25 man you can take two but can use a single tank there aswel. The amount of damage your tank will take during the mangle fully depends how good and fast your chainers are. Their speed will fully determine if a tank will die or not.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins