Thread: shadow dots

shadow dots

Let's say I cast my 3 dots,
    Than stack up 5 stacks of Evanglism or a trinket procs with spell power or haste...

Do I need to reapply my dots for them to see the effect of these buffs? Or do they get passed onto the existing dots without having to reapply;

I've been reapplying them but I'm not really sure if this is neccessary

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow word: pain will gain the new benefits as soon as it gets refreshed by mind flay.. Think you have to reapply the other ones though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithsonian View Post
    YOU ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE CUP?

Everyone knows you should never any liquids, especially around computers. I keep a wetvac and absorbent towels handy in case I ever any liquids. If I ever coffee though, God help me, call 911 because I have more than computer issues.

TL;DR- Always the whole thing in a safe, dry place.

Deleted
    This got changed in Cataclysm, at least for warlocks. The DoT's gain the new benefits each tick to stop people using potions at the start of a fight and rolling the same DoT the entire fight or most of it.

DoTs which are refreshed by something such as Shadow Word: Pain being refreshed by Mind Flay will update to your current stats whenever it is refreshed. DoTs that you cast like Devoruing Plague and Vampiric Touch need to be cast in order to update with these changes.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by sayton12 View Post
    This got changed in Cataclysm, at least for warlocks. The DoT's gain the new benefits each tick to stop people using potions at the start of a fight and rolling the same DoT the entire fight or most of it.
    This. Trinket procs and anything for +stat bonus/spellpower get factored in next tick after proc until the proc is over. You only need to hard cast your dots to account for % effects like evangelism or your mastery if the buff isn't active but not sure that is always the best option either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Amorise View Post
    This. Trinket procs and anything for +stat bonus/spellpower get factored in next tick after proc until the proc is over. You only need to hard cast your dots to account for % effects like evangelism or your mastery if the buff isn't active but not sure that is always the best option either.
    WRONG. Stop giving wrong information.
    Everything is calculated on application (excluding curse of elements or something like special boss buffs such as increased crit damage). Only auto-refresh mechanics such as Pain and Suffering recalculate when they refresh a dot.

And to test it yourself: Go to a target dummy, apply dot, use a on use spellpower trinket and see if your dot will tick for more (hint: it won't)
    Last edited by Kaesebrezen; 2011-01-08 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    WRONG. Stop giving wrong information.
    Everything is calculated on application (excluding curse of elements or something like special boss buffs such as increased crit damage). Only auto-refresh mechanics such as Pain and Suffering recalculate when they refresh a dot.
    I had a misread on a mechanics thread. Chill.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

Deleted
    on a mob or a boss?

Quote Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
    Let's say I cast my 3 dots,
    Than stack up 5 stacks of Evanglism or a trinket procs with spell power or haste...

Do I need to reapply my dots for them to see the effect of these buffs? Or do they get passed onto the existing dots without having to reapply;

I've been reapplying them but I'm not really sure if this is neccessary
    To directly answer the question though, seems you have to hard cast to get the buff but more often than not, it's not worth the GCDs to do so as usually when you have the problem of getting % buffs up, it's at the start of the fight and you end up refreshing anyways a few seconds later. Trinkets, just let them buff flay and you'll almost guaranteed have to refresh your dot before the buff falls off anyways which will get the benefit.

During Blood lust, and anytime your trinket procs it is usually worth it to reapply VT, and Devouring Plague. During movement times this should really be a no-brainer, but MFlay in full T11 is only worth 11k DPET, where as VT is worth 55k DPET. VT/DP gets a lot more increased DPET from trinket procs as well, it just becomes a question of "Is it worth the 11k damage loss per gcd to reapply VT/DP?". Simulcrafting or simple math will give ya this, depending on your numbers.