Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

WOW gets some competition, or dose it?

Just wondering what other people thinks about the new MMO's thats going to get relsead in 2011.

First of we have the new Star Wars game, SWTOR, that will be relsead in the spring.
    The second "big" MMO that's going to be relsead, much earlier (jan 11), is DC universe online.

So... What do you think will happen to these games? will they end up like AoC and Warhammer?
    Or will they prevail to be the next MMO thing?

I have read and seen many information/videos about these two games and they sound very promising in
    my opinion. But what do you other people think?

Discuss! ^^

Deleted
    For what i've seen from Totalbiscuit's vids about DC online the game has big potential. I just hope they don't screw up like Funcom in AoC where u only had fun in the first 20 levels then you had a true bore fest.

SWTOR can burn in hell for replacing Kotor series!
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

The next MMO that will be compitttion to WoW will probaly be Titan.

Deleted
    What about TERA? (Then again from what I've seen, the system requirements might be quite hard)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warlocx View Post
    I surely hope not. Competition from other companies is good for us players. It forces them to improve their product.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azanure View Post
    I surely hope not. Competition from other companies is good for us players. It forces them to improve their product.
    That's true, but there is only soo much you can do with a game engine that's 6 years old

You forgot the best one, Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

10+ Year Old Account
    DC online seemed nice but if not I think only Titan would be better but Titan is beeing made by Blizz so don't think it counts :S

Deleted
    some competition would be nice but lets be honest hetre people howmuch NEXT BIG MMO'S have been released since wow? dozens, and howmuch have actually become big enhough to be even compared with WoW? i think the only company good enhough to make something that good is blizzard with titan.

I know there are many more MMO's that will be relsead in this year... but i just think these two have the most potantial to be something new then just more fantasy game based types.

Deleted
    Star wars The old republic will be very good, but you cannpot compare WoW to star wars, I will play them both.

I've been on the SWTOR beta for some time, and a frequent contributor to the game on their official forums in terms of bug reports, and general discussion of game mechanics. I can tell you with certainty, SWTOR is a phenomenal game, produced by an amazing gaming company. That being said, with regards to your question about this game or any other being a thorn in the side of the WoW community, I would direct you to past examples and experiences - namely, Warhammer Online, Aion, Darkfall, and others.

The simple, and sad truth is that the majority of the playerbase of any new game is going to consist in large part of disillusioned WoW players and trolls - it's a cancer on the gaming community that all games must somehow manage to meet the expectations of individuals whose limited experiences include only World of Warcraft.

Here's something to remember - NO game, EVER, has been immaculate or without flaws, and NO game, EVER, was released with all the bells and whistles inherent of a game that has been out for 6+ years. WoW was the same way, and received a tremendous amount of criticism upon release for it's buggy atmosphere, horrible latency, and general problems. It took a couple years for Blizzard to get a full rein on their mmo creation, and what we have today is a game built on years of patches and designed around the needs of the subcribers.

TL;DR - SWTOR Is going to be amazing, but it's going to be filled with idiots, just like every other game, and you should expect this and any other mmo release in the future to require at least 6 months to a year to work out any major kinks in design flaw. Many players won't accept that, and will return to more tried and tested games like WoW, and IF SWTOR fails, it will be because of a flight of their playerbase back to WoW. See: Aion, Warhammer, Eve, Darkfall, etc. <3

i am buying dc universe online for sure.. all the character options man! and if its good i think im gonna be playing that instead of wow
    Norway Ftw!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warlocx View Post
    Which is Blizzard IP and therefore it will most probably beat WoW with ease. SWTOR may be big depending if BW can pull it off, but DC universe meh........Kinda reminds me of Champions Online....
    Last edited by Mister K; 2011-01-03 at 03:49 PM.

Isn't Titan supposed to be a FPS-MMO? If so, I can't really see it "competing" so much as targeting a mostly separate group of gamers.

Personally I know I'll probably take at least a month or two hiatus from WoW for SW:ToR. The story element, making it a MMO-RPG instead of just a MMO is key for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turokuruvar View Post
    Isn't Titan supposed to be a FPS-MMO? If so, I can't really see it "competing" so much as targeting a mostly separate group of gamers.

Personally I know I'll probably take at least a month or two hiatus from WoW for SW:ToR. The story element, making it a MMO-RPG instead of just a MMO is key for me.
    New Gen MMO and it could "possibly" be FPS MMO... its not 110% official.....(or at least i dont think)

Tbh WoW will last for another 8-12years before it really gets outdated and alot will start to get bored of it. I am sure in that time there will be "alot" better MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Yewdye View Post
    I've been on the SWTOR beta for some time, and a frequent contributor to the game on their official forums in terms of bug reports, and general discussion of game mechanics. I can tell you with certainty, SWTOR is a phenomenal game, produced by an amazing gaming company. That being said, with regards to your question about this game or any other being a thorn in the side of the WoW community, I would direct you to past examples and experiences - namely, Warhammer Online, Aion, Darkfall, and others.

The simple, and sad truth is that the majority of the playerbase of any new game is going to consist in large part of disillusioned WoW players and trolls - it's a cancer on the gaming community that all games must somehow manage to meet the expectations of individuals whose limited experiences include only World of Warcraft.

Here's something to remember - NO game, EVER, has been immaculate or without flaws, and NO game, EVER, was released with all the bells and whistles inherent of a game that has been out for 6+ years. WoW was the same way, and received a tremendous amount of criticism upon release for it's buggy atmosphere, horrible latency, and general problems. It took a couple years for Blizzard to get a full rein on their mmo creation, and what we have today is a game built on years of patches and designed around the needs of the subcribers.

TL;DR - SWTOR Is going to be amazing, but it's going to be filled with idiots, just like every other game, and you should expect this and any other mmo release in the future to require at least 6 months to a year to work out any major kinks in design flaw. Many players won't accept that, and will return to more tried and tested games like WoW, and IF SWTOR fails, it will be because of a flight of their playerbase back to WoW. See: Aion, Warhammer, Eve, Darkfall, etc. <3
    I know that... I have been doing it myself. I started to play wow in the begining of it, and yes it had many flaws. i have tried out AoC and Warhammer. But, i have a "Hunch" that these game will be diffrent. Though, thats just my opinion ^^

I am Beta testing the DCU MMO. It is kinda interesting. It is a little bit more like a Hack n' Slash than a traditional MMO, but is fun nonetheless. I think it will translate well to consoles, which are going to be a large portion of their subscription base.

That being said, I don't think it will cut into WoW thick hide. The home console MMO demographic is relatively untouched right now. I mean, what kind of MMO does the console have?

Quote Originally Posted by StonyComet View Post
    i am buying dc universe online for sure.. all the character options man! and if its good i think im gonna be playing that instead of wow
    Yes! thats what i think too... the mass variety of things to do and be. I like you man! =)