10+ Year Old Account

Going to try my hand at resto pvp. Looking for help.

As the title says I plan on finally stepping in to some BGs and seeing how I do. So I'm looking for build advice and any tips you guys can give. All that.
    No qq please. I don't care if you think resto shamans suck at pvp at the moment. That's beside the point and I'm going to try and and do my best.

I was just on wowtal.com and came up with this
    http://wowtal.com/#k=f1AsYiTti.a8t.shaman.gYv6E

Does that look right?

my 2 pieces of advice, look to use windshear and grounding totem as much as humanly possible. as you get better you will begin to see what needs to be interrupted (sheeps and such). also the hex glyph is pretty awesome. also dispels are pretty key both offensively and defensively. cleansing that deep freeze can easily save your partners trinket for later.

spec is generally pretty good, id remove the blessing of eternals points and put them somewhere else as my only change. elv is a useful hot but not that gamebreaking on someone 35% or lower.

Deleted
    I do pvp as resto shaman, but nothing serious, i'm usng my pve (raiding) spec and it's working fine.. Have an feral druid partner in 2v2 and 1200+ ratio... And just started 3v3 done few matches and it's going pretty well. Anyways shamans gonna blow in arena in new patches cause of Blood Lust going to be removed but will be fun to try see how it will work anyways...

Shamans are best #1

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wowtal.com/#k=fv4aMBBtx.a8t.shaman.3-WNiz
    This is what I would change to your spec.
    Ancestral Resolve is amazing. That 10% less damage helps so much.
    Improved Water Shield helps with your mana, which will always be a problem in arena as a resto shaman.
    Totemic Focus will make your Mana Tide Totem have a 16.8 second duration now.

Glyph of Hex makes your Hex a 30 second cooldown, instead of a 45 second cooldown. You can now have hex up 1/3 of the time if your opponents don't have a decurse.
    Glyph of Healing Stream Totem is great against spellcleaves. It's resistance and healing.
    Glyph of Stoneclaw is a MUST for every Shaman.

Hex every 30 seconds if you can, Wind Shear to your focus target normally (healer or caster) every time you can. Grounding totem into incoming CC that has a cooldown so you waste their cooldowns.

AddOns like InterruptBar are great. They show you your opponent's interrupts so you can fake cast them.
    Example: Cast Healing Surge halfway, stop casting, usually they'll try to kick your cast. If they do, you now have 10 seconds to free cast until the next kick is up.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2011-01-09 at 02:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about shields? I'm assuming I should earth shield myself right? No water shield for BGs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Matt View Post
    What about shields? I'm assuming I should earth shield myself right? No water shield for BGs?
    Go into arenas with Water Shield on you and Earth Shield on your buddies.
    Reasoning behind this is because if you want to switch your ES to yourself, it will only take one global cooldown to switch shields.
    If you put Earth Shield on yourself and wanted Water Shield on yourself & ES on your buddie later, it will take 2 globals to put up those shields.

Also, dispel Frost Novas ASAP. If you don't, Mages will most likely deep freeze you. Also, dispel your partners ASAP! The longer they sit in CC, the longer it takes until you get assistance from them to peel off of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisperawr View Post
    Go into arenas with Water Shield on you and Earth Shield on your buddies.
    Reasoning behind this is because if you want to switch your ES to yourself, it will only take one global cooldown to switch shields.
    If you put Earth Shield on yourself and wanted Water Shield on yourself & ES on your buddie later, it will take 2 globals to put up those shields.

Also, dispel Frost Novas ASAP. If you don't, Mages will most likely deep freeze you. Also, dispel your partners ASAP! The longer they sit in CC, the longer it takes until you get assistance from them to peel off of you.
    Good point. Thanks for the tips.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll notice your mana going down a lot faster without water shield on yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'll see if a guildie wants to run BGs with me. If you could have one class with you at all times in a bg which would pick?

Hey, anyone mind if I throw in a few questions aswell? Planning to do some resto PvP myself, and with a questionthread up...

Any awesometime macros that will save the day? Opened a whole new world when my warrior got his PvP macros, so one gotta ask. Also, can one save himself as a rshaman? Have a feeling I'll miss roots, but is frost shock/earthbind+impGW enough to be able to escape? Shamans seeming less able to shake off others has been the only thing I've worried about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ummmm yes and no... We definitely need peels. But we do have can keep people off of us for a bit. We can't really escapeeee though...
    Only macro I use is Nature's Swiftness Greater Healing Wave :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so had my first night of resto pvp. It was fun

But arms warriors... Boy oh boy do they hurt and one had a real hard on for me. Earthbind+Insta golf wolf helps a ton though.

But yeah, it was an encouraging night. Glyph of stoneclaw is like you said... Definitely a must have. Saved my hide several times.
    It's just disappointing to see how little honor I was getting despite always being either number 1 or 2 in heals and still managing I guess at least half decent damage... (I'm resto, whadya want from me!?)

One BG I was number one in healing. I had 18 HKs and I don't know what for healing and 3 deaths. Then there was a rogue with 1 KB, 3 HKs, 4 deaths and 18k damage done.
    The rogue got twice as much honor as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Matt View Post
    Ok so had my first night of resto pvp. It was fun

But arms warriors... Boy oh boy do they hurt and one had a real hard on for me. Earthbind+Insta golf wolf helps a ton though.

But yeah, it was an encouraging night. Glyph of stoneclaw is like you said... Definitely a must have. Saved my hide several times.
    It's just disappointing to see how little honor I was getting despite always being either number 1 or 2 in heals and still managing I guess at least half decent damage... (I'm resto, whadya want from me!?)

One BG I was number one in healing. I had 18 HKs and I don't know what for healing and 3 deaths. Then there was a rogue with 1 KB, 3 HKs, 4 deaths and 18k damage done.
    The rogue got twice as much honor as I did.
    He probably was in his first win of the day (90 bonus instead of 45)
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a list or anything out there that says what a Shaman can or can't purge in pvp?

lol sorry if I'm asking noobish questions but I'm still pretty new to the class. Just made this toon the day 4.0.3a was released and made it so Dwarves could be shamans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost all buffs buffed from other players are dispellable. A lot of class specific talents that proc are not dispellable... and ret pallys have a ton of dispellable buffs :s
    Some good things to dispel are:
    Innervate
    BoP
    mage shields if you can
    bloodlust(soon you won't have to :[ )
    Rejuvination
    Regrowth
    Wild Growth
    Power Word: Shield
    Renew

Don't dispel Lifeblooms.
    Don't dispel Unstable Affliction off your partners
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2011-01-10 at 01:55 PM.

You need a macro for using Wind Shear on your focus target

/cast [target=focus, exists] Wind Shear; Wind Shear

Uses Wind Shear on your focus if you have a focus, on your target if you don't.
    (Use another keybind for Wind Shear on your target)

Rejuvination
    If you're trying to kill a target, purging Rejuv just as he casts it makes the druid unable to use Swiftmend

Don't dispel Lifeblooms.
    If target has three stacks, purging will remove two stacks but will not heal nor grant mana to the druid, making it a good idea... Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Zarleck; 2011-01-10 at 02:08 PM.

First of all, Resto shamans are one of the best, if not THE best pvp healers atm.

I use these talents and glyphs:
    http://wowtal.com/#k=fvV7z3RVl.a8t.shaman.gYviz

Glyph of Stoneclaw is a necessity, Glyph of Healing Stream is very very helpful, the healing aspect wont save your life, but its a hell of alot better then just resistance totem.
    Hex is best 3d glyph for arena, for BGs its optional.

ES, riptide and EL are very good prime glyphs, i sometimes changed between EL and Water Shield in BGs.

Minor glyphs are the least of worries, but Water Breathing/walking one is really good for trash buffs to prevent something getting dispelled.

- Elemental Shields are totally up to the situation, not taking any dmg? put ES on someone you are spam healing, it improves your healing quite abit.
    Use water shield on yourself to keep the passive mana regen and usually you dont even need to use ES, unless you get attacked by multiple people.
    If you are attacked by a pet or one person, Water shielding yourself will keep your mana up at all times, and you shouldnt die.

- Imp Water Shield Talent is mandatory, it significantly improves your mana regen, in combination with Improved Shields.
    - Ancestral Resolve is mandatory, you dont have to finish your casts, or cast expensive heals, just casting Healing Wave and stopping before its done will reduce your dmg taken by 10% without losing any mana - !but watch out for interrupts, you should practice to fake cast and stop casting right before they use their interrupt!

- Totemic Reach isn't really such a good talent for my tastes for multiple reasons:
    1. You are always on the move in BG, arena or world pvp
    2. People tend to destroy your totems, especially Tremor totem on sight.
    3. You will recast Stoneclaw, Grounding, Earthbind, so many times and it will go away faster then you will run out of range from it.

- Focussed Insight is very good, 30% improved healing, and almost a free Shock is always helpful, wether you are slowing a person down with FS or reducing dmg done by the opponent with ES, FS to prevent rogues from restealthing, even just randomly using Shocks to get improved heals is good, since you get 75% of the mana spent reduced on the next heal.

- Totemic Focus is great, again, the duration increase isn't so great for PvP, since you are always on the move, but you will also be casting your totems all the time, especially grounding, stoneclaw, healing/mana stream, earthbind, so reducing their mana cost is really nice

- Cleansing Waters is your best friend, you can usually keep your partner alive against mages by just using cheap heals and Cleanse Spirit.
    Even spam dispelling affli warlocks doesn't matter anymore, i usually dispel every dot, and even if i dispel Unstable Affliction, the 5sec silence i get from dispelling everything is the 5sec i would have spent healing the dmg from the dots.

- Blessing of The Eternals isn't such a great talent for PvP, my EL is almost always up anyway, and the healing aspect wont save lives in PvP when they are at or below 35% hp you will be focus healing them regardless and will almost always proc EL regardless.

The better PvP gear you have the easier it will become, my first Purchases were 2 pieces of the Resto set for the 400 resi bonus and then 2 pieces of the elemental set (the ones that dont provide spirit on healing set i bought as elemental set), then you get another 400 resi setbonus. Its much more attractive, atleast now then the shorter CD on Grounding totem
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want