Thread: Dps as bear ?

Dps as bear ?

Hi!

I hear people saying that as feral tank you should be pulling a lot of dps currently, however I find that not to be the case for me. I am Currently ilvl 346 and I generally pull between 4K-6K dps, almost never above that. Is there a specialt trick I am missing or how do people get to values of 9K+?

When you pop Beserk, and mangle 3+ targets, you can easily do 20+k DPS. But that's every 3 mins...

mangle hits hard. use it more often, glyph it too

Deleted
    You are about to get hit by the nerf bat anyways...but as the other posters say, pop Berserk on the pull and Mangle away.

Quote Originally Posted by Riplimbs View Post
    You are about to get hit by the nerf bat anyways...but as the other posters say, pop Berserk on the pull and Mangle away.
    If you are talking about the data mined stuff regarding mangle/swipe/etc from a few days back, those nerfs all went through already but the tool tips were not updated until a client patch. My bear is just shy of 333 at this point and I generally pull 5-6k on most mobs I solo for quests. I haven't tanked something in several days, and when I did my gear was much worse than it is now, but I don't remember what my numbers looked like in instances, sorry.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CSJenova View Post
    If you are talking about the data mined stuff regarding mangle/swipe/etc from a few days back, those nerfs all went through already but the tool tips were not updated until a client patch. My bear is just shy of 333 at this point and I generally pull 5-6k on most mobs I solo for quests. I haven't tanked something in several days, and when I did my gear was much worse than it is now, but I don't remember what my numbers looked like in instances, sorry.
    read the most recent ptr notes (4.0.6) bear is going to be hit with a 20% damage nerf on single targets, its in with the notes on the 10% bleed nerf & mangle(cat)/shred buff.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

* Lacerate damage has been reduced by approximately 20%.
    * Mangle (Bear Form) weapon damage (at level 80+) has been reduced to 235%, down from 300%.
    * Maul damage has been reduced by approximately 20%.

* Mangle (Cat Form) weapon damage percent (at level 80+) has been increased to 460%, up from 360%.
    * Rake damage has been reduced by 10%.
    * Rip damage has been reduced by 10%.
    * Shred weapon damage percent (at level 80+) has been increased to 450%, up from 350%.

Yeah, I did 11k DPS on Omnitron the other night while tanking. On heroic bosses I usually do just under 10k. Single target on most heroic bosses isn't going to be massively impressive. I've pulled small numbers before, but every three minutes I do 24k in heroics. :P But yeah, nerfs inc. Well deserved too. Disappointing, but deserved. I do double the damage of our other tanks, and I'm not even a MS tank.

Also did like 18k on Halfus the first time we killed him, was second on the meters. Lots of maul-cleaves +popped berserk. I think that was our second week of raiding though so our DPS weren't up to snuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Also did like 18k on Halfus the first time we killed him, was second on the meters. Lots of maul-cleaves +popped berserk. I think that was our second week of raiding though so our DPS weren't up to snuff.
    Pop berserk once your in position and rip agro from the drake tank :P always funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    Pop berserk once your in position and rip agro from the drake tank :P always funny.
    Yeah, I was having a HUGE problem accidentally taking aggro from the paladin tank, multiple times on multiple bosses. It was fun and silly on trash, but dangerous on bosses. I just wanted to contribute to the DPS.

The main reason for any tank to be dealing high damage is due to the vengeance AP we get. All tanks get it but because feral scales off AP the way we do we can pull quite impressive numbers. Though so can all other tanks in their own circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen feral tanks outdo DPS (I'm usually 1st or 2nd Sometimes 3rd..rare..)

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0ZfMGb...kMcu:q0rz0VzM0

1. mangle whenever available
    2. maul if over 50-60 rage or so
    3. lacerate 3x -> pulverize, do pulverize whenever you can, lacerate dot is lower than the application of lacerate, so you want to do lacerate over and over again between mangle cds
    4. try to berserk right after a 3 stack pulverize

use agility+stamina food, and flask of the winds (for raid environment obviously). flask of the winds will pump you with +crit, +dodge, +ap, +shielding, and +damage per hit in consequence. i don't find stamina flask so interesting to tank at this point in cata.

with this, i am reaching around 11k dps on single target boss fight IF i don't have to stop attacking (omnitron for example when shields are up).

The steelskin flask will give your more ap than the Flask of the Winds because of vengeance. So i terms of damage stam is better per point as all our abilities are dependent on AP for there damage. Crit is ok but because of the insanely high numbers you need to increase any of those stats you don't get as good value out of them

Quote Originally Posted by Birchy View Post
    The steelskin flask will give your more ap than the Flask of the Winds because of vengeance. So i terms of damage stam is better per point as all our abilities are dependent on AP for there damage. Crit is ok but because of the insanely high numbers you need to increase any of those stats you don't get as good value out of them
    No it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Birchy View Post
    No, not really... You never really get Vengeance capped until Heroic Raids... so Agi>stam

you kidding right, i can easily get my vengeance capped, sitting on 30k+ ap while main tanking

afaik vengeance benifits from unbuffed health, not buffed, i believe stamina flask counts as a buff?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Vengeance_(tanking_bonus)

gotta check on next raid on how much AP i am sitting at in general. anyway, altough you would get a bit more margin of error on your hp for the healers to handle, the potential extra crit, dodge, shielding, general damage can help push the encounter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendik View Post
    afaik vengeance benifits from unbuffed health, not buffed, i believe stamina flask counts as a buff?
    Birchy even if this quote wasn't the case, the stam flask will net you with ~5400 health so 540 AP where as the Agi one would net you just under 800 AP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    Hehe, I was doinf that on Halfus too. The OT (warrior, so his threat was poor anyway) was like w/e and just taunted boss when he needed. It really only p'd off the healers 'cause I'd have like 1-2 drakes and a boss.

I would love to see a bear tank. I haven't come across one in any of my random heroics or BH 10.