Thread: My New Rig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to.
    Talking people into buying things they don't want/need is unnecessary.
    Some people don't want to meddle with such things, and I think they should be left with that idea.
    I personally cannot fathom not overclocking. At all. But I respect the wishes of those who firmly doesn't want to.

And aside from OCing, the only benefit you'll gain from the K-series is a better integrated graphics-card.
    Under most cirmcustances I would agree with you completely but this one is a bit diffrent.

First is that with a non K series sandy bridge cpu you can't over clock more that a few hundred mhz. So as the computer is nearing the end of it's lifespan there is no option it OC it for a little bit of life support as you would have with any other chip produced.

Second is how low the price premium is for the K series chip. A mere $15 gives you the option to over clock where as the non K series chip has the option completely absent.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

sandy bridge

Im so lost with the sandy bridge subject what is this?

Intel just released a new series of processors. They are on the LGA1155 socket but are still i3, i5, or i7 chips so people usually just refer to them as sandy bridge chips to diffirentiate them from the previous generation chips. The term sandy bridge was intel's development name for the processors.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Changing it around

Looking at the new stuff would this

- Intel Core i7 2600
    - ASUS P8P67 EVO Motherboard
    - Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Be better then what i have at the moment?

- Intel Core i7 950
    - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
    - Corsair CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3

Since you wont be clocking the system.

You dont really need performance hardware.

Just get a good CPU , valuerams , entrance level motherboard , good powersupply.

With all that money u can spend more on your graphics card. And u never said what resolution you will be gaming on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabitsu View Post
    Looking at the new stuff would this

- Intel Core i7 2600
    - ASUS P8P67 EVO Motherboard
    - Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Be better then what i have at the moment?

- Intel Core i7 950
    - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
    - Corsair CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3
    short: no
    long: yes, it will benchmark better, but the performance gain won't be noticeable for another couple years when your current computer is getting older. the 2600 will last longer, but upgrading your computer isn't worth it for at least another year or two
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Im not upgrading my current im building a whole new computer. The parts i listed above are very similar in prices so i was curious if the change would be better?

It'll eat wow for breakfast, mate... one thing though; can' really understand your mobo choice if you're not overclocking... Save yourself on a mobo and get a bigger ssd, imo. 60gb is small for todays standards. I only have Win7 and wow installed (as well as a couple of lil programs, ofc). My install drive is 70gb, and when I'm installing wow updates it's a right fuck about.

Nice PC though

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im not upgrading my current im building a whole new computer. The parts i listed above are very similar in prices so i was curious if the change would be better?
    If they're similar in prices, definitely go with option one.
    PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, then yes definitely go with the 2600.

Is there a reason you want the 2600 instead of the 2500 though?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right