Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry Enchanters cutting our own throats

First let me apologize. This is definitely a rant and I do not usually make such posts.
    But I'm trying to understand why people would do this, and hope other peoples feedback will help me understand the situation.

Just trying to figure out why people would do the following:
    1. Undercut each others scrolls on the AH until they are worthless.
    On my realm, Scroll of Enchant Shield: Blocking are selling for 2G.
    The mats for this enchant are 12 Hypnotic Dust.

2. Pay people to help you level.
    "Enchanting LFW. I pay you 50g each point I go up"

It has become hard enough to make money with Enchanting since we are forced to DE items in dungeons.
    Enchanters need to stop giving our profession away for free and start making money again!

Protip:

If there's high competition for enchated scrolls, sell raw mats.

If raw mats are expensive, buy greens and make raw mats or make scrolls.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgminion View Post
    First let me apologize. This is definitely a rant and I do not usually make such posts.
    But I'm trying to understand why people would do this, and hope other peoples feedback will help me understand the situation.

Just trying to figure out why people would do the following:
    1. Undercut each others scrolls on the AH until they are worthless.
    On my realm, Scroll of Enchant Shield: Blocking are selling for 2G.
    The mats for this enchant are 12 Hypnotic Dust.

2. Pay people to help you level.
    "Enchanting LFW. I pay you 50g each point I go up"

It has become hard enough to make money with Enchanting since we are forced to DE items in dungeons.
    Enchanters need to stop giving our profession away for free and start making money again!
    Buy old the enchants, resell them.

????

profit.

Deleted
    If there's high competition for enchated scrolls, sell raw mats.
    This.

If the scroll is selling for 2g and the dust is selling for say 120g. Its a no brainer.

Dust is selling for 180g a stack.
    (9g each)
    Greens are selling for 30-40g.

There is absolutely no way to make money as an Enchanter on my realm.

Deleted
    buy out all underpriced scrolls and wait for prices to go up.

Odd, my mage sits in Trade and I make money all day long just linking my chanting.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole selling mats thing isnt the best solution because

a) We are forced to disenchant in instances, so every non enchanter that runs with an enchanter can also contribute to this market.
    b) If we sell the mats, we cannot level.

I think enchanting needs to get some kind of buff in some way. I don't care about making money so much, but most enchanters level at a loss now. As people said, the mats sell for far more than the enchants do. At least give us something nice to compensate for it, not a BOE magic lamp with mats that are stupidly expensive only the richest can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgminion View Post
    Dust is selling for 180g a stack.
    (9g each)
    Greens are selling for 30-40g.

There is absolutely no way to make money as an Enchanter on my realm.
    If dust is at 9g each, I'm guessing greater essences are probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 50g. Without firing up a DE spreadsheet that's almost certainly over 30g for a high level green.

You never just buy greens straight up, you have to look for bargains. I promise you they're there. Do a broad search and just look through greens for ones posted below average. The end of the evening can be a good time when people post their stuff before they log out. Also look at items that are commonly crafted as people level up. On any given day I can find a dozen to two dozen tailoring and JC and BS items that people have posted en masse below the DE price.

---------- Post added 2011-01-09 at 06:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post

a) We are forced to disenchant in instances, so every non enchanter that runs with an enchanter can also contribute to this market.
    I make a significant amount of gold buying greens and DE'ing them. Also noteworthy, if you need mats, if you buy an item under the DE price, you're on average getting the mats you need cheaper than the AH price.

As for leveling, I assumed he's already past the leveling curve. Bite the bullet and spend the gold to get yourself to 500 or 505. Then you can DE just about anything in game at the moment. Making scolls at that level is a waste anyway.

I make plenty of gold as an enchantiner... and in only minutes a day.

I buy all the greens they are priced low, DE then & sell the mats.

I usually float in a 10% profit on top of covering the 5% AH cut (damn taxes)

for example right now for DEing ilvl 300 or less on my server I can spend up to 27g on a green armor item. DE it & make 10% profit (2.7g) multiply this times 1000s of items & also buying items for 10g here and there & I can make 1000g in 30min on good days where I have time I have made 5000g spending 10min here 10 min there (usually after running a heroic)

Quote Originally Posted by Eodyn View Post
    buy out all underpriced scrolls and wait for prices to go up.
    I actually don't recommend buying and reposting. (Unless you're willing to hold them for months)

When you do that, think through what you're doing.

If you buy out the stock and repost instantly at a higher price, you're making a gamble on controlling the market. It only works if someone else doesn't have a ready supply of scrolls to sell. If you're talking about anything people are making to level that's a bad bet. You'll probably just get undercut and not sell any of them.

On the other hand, buying them all up at 5g each and checking regularly then selling them 1-2 at a time when the price is at 15g isn't a bad way to go if you're exceptionally patient.

Economy is as economy does, simple as.

dont expect to make money off the recipes people are levelling with. this isnt unique to enchanting.

and even if greens arent profitable (30g is cheap, most auction for 100~ on my realm), you can look into crafting your own greens for d/e.

i bought a ton of cheap scrolls on AH just so i wouldnt be crafting from my own mats for a while. eventually the levellers will slow down and competition will drop, but dont expect the shard values to change too much. theres a lot of things keeping those prices somewhat stable.

Hurricane - mats are cheap, scroll still sells for ~500g..... Made 15k gold so far from that alone.

If you're just trying to power level enchanting, don't expect to make a profit... that goes for all professions really. If you wanna take your time and sell mats while they are VERY high on the AH, you'll get some decent cash tho. As the other guy said, hurricane sells for a lot (i've sold it for 1k a couple of times), just gotta keep an eye on teh auctions and be ready to underbid people who just did the same to you. Think about it this way, it wouldn't make much sense if you got to 525 in a few hours and made an insane ammount of cash at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post

Sooo....
    1) In order to level people must make scolls
    2) In order to recoup losses, or free up inv space, the scrolls must be sold
    3) There are 2348923 more enchanters leveling skills then people buying specific enchants...

seems like supply & demand, supply is CRAZY, demand is minimal... In time it will level out better, but the problem isn't the profession, its the *amount* of people with the profression...

The average person isn't going to sit on 10-30 scrolls and not put them up because they will be worth more in a month, so they have to put them up...

even if each enchanter only undercut by 1%, it would eventually reach the same level simply because 10 scrolls of whatever are not going to sell before the next enchanter puts up his scrolls at a 1% undercut... and all his scrolls wont sell before the next chanter.... and the cycle continues.

When everyone's 3 alts are done leveling enchanting, it'll even out more... but even so, can always make money by linking in trade as opposed to selling scrolls

---------- Post added 2011-01-09 at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    dont expect to make money off the recipes people are levelling with. this isnt unique to enchanting.
    Indeed, look at JC, 20-50+g for uncut gem.
    Cut gem's value? 5g-10.

I think the OP is trying to Level his enchanting by making scrolls and recouping some of the gold he lost by buying some of the mats. Selling the mats does not help level your enchanting. Most greens are selling for as much as the mats are on my server.

And I agree, enchanters are way undercutting the scrolls but that is the same with cut gems vs raw mats. So, OP, I feel your pain and empathize.

Trust me it's not unique to enchanters. Every profession I have the end product is the same price or cheaper than the mats.

One of the examples is Cloak of Beasts : mats 8 Hvy Savage leather and 2 of earth,air, fire & water
    Total cost for these on my server = 550g approx
    price of cloak in AH = 50-70g
    So each craft makes a loss of around 500g.

The reason for this is very simple. There are more people leveling their professions now than their is a market for what they produce. Certain items are worse than others (like the cloak) as they are located at bottle necks in the leveling stages. Every leather worker is going to be making atleast 5 of them, usualy more. There are more being made than people wanting to buy them so theirs a glut on the market and if you want to sell one you need to be the cheapest. They are only staying at that price due to enchcanters DE'ing them for the shards.

When any new content comes out if you want to make money you either sell the mats OR get to the max level as quick as you can to have a more empty market. The later will mean you loose a lot of money in the leveleing process but that is usualy made back and more with what you can sell at the top end.
    Last edited by Taraxacum; 2011-01-09 at 08:07 PM.

The problem is that enchants should give 3-5 skill points each to prevent flooding the market on leveling.

Deleted
    Enchanting scrolls are worthless lately because people are leveling skill so there's just too many scrolls around. It will probably stay that way for another month.

Only way to make money with enchanting atm is to buy cheap greens, DE and sell mats. Check the prices of Hypnotic Dust first, if a green item sells for less than the price of 2x dust then it's profitable to buy it.