Thread: Xbox Kinect

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Xbox Kinect

Soo basically, i was wondering what everyones opinion was a on the Xbox Kinect, what do you think of it?

Main reason for me asking was because yesterday I received a 360 with the kinect as a present from my parents. So the 360 only has the internal 4GB memory which is basically peanuts and won't last very long before i need to get an actual hard drive, and so i was just going to go over to gamestop to see if i could sell the kinect and the game it came with there. So as i was going to my car to leave my dad asked me where i was going with it so i told him, and he got angry saying that he didn't want me to go and sell it. I told him that I didn't really want to use at all, because i thought that its kind of gimmicky and that its basically a Wii without the controller, and that i needed to buy hard drive anyways so that id basically trade it for that. He told me that he wanted to try it too, and probably other people and that i shouldn't sell it. I told him that I like the 360, but that the kinect part isn't something i really want.

I personally don't think its THAT spectacular, and as i said, kind of gimmicky. It would be cool to try it, but I can honestly see it basically never being used regular... even like once a month

TL;DR Whats your opinion on it? Think its a good idea to sell? Or that I'm being too quick on the gun on not giving it a try?

EDIT: Apparently people don't 'understand'. The xbox came with the kinect IN THE SAME BOX. It was a combo pack. Not only that, but it was the only xbox model the store was selling. No one in my family would use it, maybe a few times the first time they tried, even if they DO like it. Finally that isn't even the freaking point of this thread, and im an idiot for thinking people would understand why I would sell it. Is the kinect fun, or not.
    Last edited by Thebigblue; 2010-12-27 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no personal opinion on the Kinect b/c I haven't used one, but you trying to sell a gift your parents just got u is pretty lame. Telling them about it is even lamer. How ungrateful are you that you would do such a thing? If I were you, I'd suck it up cause gamestops not going to give you half of what its worth, and you will lose a lot of your parents respect. If I was your parents, I'd be ashamed and I'd never buy you another gift as long as I lived.

its really fun suprised how good it actually works just need good games for it

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure it works fine, but if you already own a Wii I wouldn't worry about it

You're taking a gift from your parents, and trying to trade it for something else. Call me old fashioned, but it seems ungrateful and rude.

Go and get a job, and buy the HDD with your own money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogrutana View Post
    I'm sure it works fine, but if you already own a Wii I wouldn't worry about it
    So wii has a camera that detects your body movements precisely? =/

I got the same box myself, and I must say that I am enjoying the Kinect. Sure it's a bit gimmicky but it's fun aswell, especially when playing with 2 people.
    Me and my gf have the fitness, sonic and dance game and I'm having fun with all of them, except the fitness ofcourse, I just do that to get some excercise and to make my gf happy

That seems super low, like spoiled low. Your parents slaved getting this thing for you PLUS THE KINECT, they didn't have to buy it for you, they could of gotten the xbox and called it a day. The HDD is what 40$? seriously? If you can afford World of Warcraft, you can afford a HDD.

Your making a big deal about a hard drive. its not like you have a ton of games anyways, you can survive with 4g until you get like 3-5 games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post

Motion detection is motion detection.

On the WII you can just move your wrist and the system will be happy, you won't get far doing that with the Kinect...
    So no, motion detection is not just motion detection, it's a completely different gamestyle.

Body motion detection > Remote motion detection

We had the Wii, got a new xbox with Kinect and LOVE IT! Now we are bundling up the Wii and selling it because Kinect is just a different level of fun all together.

LOL, i remember that first day the wii came out, and me and all my friends playing it being all physical like in the commercials..... two days later, sitting on my ass playing zelda, and mario without moving so much as my whole arm.

Kinect is a whole different world from the honestly cheap wii man.

the new games slated for it look amazing.

so wii is the handicapped cousin of kinect, the graphics even on component, are awesome, hdmi 10x better.

selling off something that honestly was probally a pain in the ass for your parents to get you is just pathetic. you smile and play with it. six months from now yea maybe but not even giving it a fair shake, lame.

No weapon has ever settled a moral problem. It can impose a solution but it cannot guarantee it to be a just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    That seems super low, like spoiled low. Your parents slaved getting this thing for you PLUS THE KINECT, they didn't have to buy it for you, they could of gotten the xbox and called it a day. The HDD is what 40$? seriously? If you can afford World of Warcraft, you can afford a HDD.

Your making a big deal about a hard drive. its not like you have a ton of games anyways, you can survive with 4g until you get like 3-5 games
    How is he spoiled? He didn't say it was shit, he just said he didn't like it. His father asked him and he told him the truth. It sounds like his parents only bought it for themselves anyway, the OP just happened to be the one with the xbox.

The same thing happened with my brother-in-law. We all had christmas together and his parents got him a kinect and we didn't even unbox it, his wife (my sister) bought him DKCR and we played that all day. His parents were cut because they wanted to play Kinect.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post

Kinect, precise? I lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by d3sign8t3dDruNk View Post
    I have no personal opinion on the Kinect b/c I haven't used one, but you trying to sell a gift your parents just got u is pretty lame. Telling them about it is even lamer. How ungrateful are you that you would do such a thing? If I were you, I'd suck it up cause gamestops not going to give you half of what its worth, and you will lose a lot of your parents respect. If I was your parents, I'd be ashamed and I'd never buy you another gift as long as I lived.
    Alright, first, fuck off. Second, my mom told me already that it was the only one they had left in stock, so she didn't even have a choice in whether or not the kinect came with it. I'm not being ungrateful, its not like I said, "omgz i hate this, why would you do that, im going to jsut go sell it'. I need to get a hard drive for it otherwise, I wont be able to do a whole lot with 4GB, and I don't have 130 bucks to go drop on a new one AND THEN everything else I need. If you actual read what I said i told my dad about that, and he was mad that i wasn't going to try it out. My dad got my mom a Wii 2 years ago and there basically the same thing, and i told him what the point was in having that if we had a Wii.

I had that converstation with them before i went to go sell it so, I thought they new what I meant by it. My dad was mad at me for going to sell it with seeing what it was like. Ive tried the Wii, and i dont like it, why would I like Kinect. Which is what this thread is ASKING ABOUT, whether or not its fun. She didnt have a choice in whether or not she wanted to get the kinect, that was the only thing there.

Honestly you had no idea what the actual situation was, and I'm an idiot for thinking people would actually understand and just leave it as it was. I should have left it at 'Kinect, is fun or not?'

Deleted
    The sheer amount of lolworthy posts in this thread cracks me up.
    So lying about liking it is better than being honest?

Oh wait, I forgot option B
    Being honest about not liking it but not trading it for something else.

How does this help ANYONE?
    If I were a parent, I'd be happy to see my kid enjoying himself the way he likes to, not the way I do.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2010-12-27 at 02:31 AM.

Why is people saying he is being rude and ungrateful?

He got a present, and dont realy like it, and most likely never will.
    why would he keep it when he could trade it into something he will be happy for and find usefull?

TBH i think his parents/dad is being the rude one.
    And they slaved their way to get it? sure, but if the Kinect=HDD = they slaved their way for the HDD!

The kinect would just be there gathering dust, and from what i got of what his dad said it would mostly be used by his family, not him
    Why would he keep a present for his family to use, when he could get something he could use? his present after all, AND it was HIS present = his and only his! he is the fucking ruler of the item he got, or does his father/family still own it?
    NO! his present, he decides WTF happens to it.

On topic, i haven't tried it, but i think it seems kinda need in some games altho i dont like that kinda game and it would be to expensinve for me to get it
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post

First off, i cant afford world of warcraft. I dont have cataclysm, and my account has been frozen for a month. I have bought everything personally.
    Second, the kinect came WITH the xbox, it was in the box.
    Third, my mom even told me she didnt have a choice in which one to buy, because the xbox WITH the kinect was the only model the store had left.
    Fourth, she told me i could trade in the game if i wanted to because she had no idea what it was

They just didn't understand why i would want to get rid of the kinect also. My parents are completely technology impaired. They just were wondering why i didn't want to try it. And i don't because if i do sell it, i want it to be in as best condition as possible, barely used. Ive tried friends's Wii's and I don't like, why would i like the kinect. which is basically the POINT i was asking in this thread. Is it fun?

The only thing about that I can see you having a problem with is the 4GB, but the way you handled it was stupid.

The Kinect is fun, sure you can't expect to put the time into it like you would WoW or other 360 games, but its one of those things thats great to have when you have people over.

If I were in the same boat I'd talk to my parents, saying that I loved the gift, but would prefer if you could get the upgraded hard drive, even if it meant me paying the difference.

That way you don't seem like you ungrateful and going to just sell it off, but that there was another version that you could get more use out of.

There is a way to let the person know they got the wrong gift without hurting feelings and acting spoiled.

PS: If you're reselling it to EB, it doesn't matter the condition..as long as it's working it's the same value as if it hasn't even left the box...unless you're trying to sell it to someone personally.
    Last edited by JareK; 2010-12-27 at 02:33 AM.