Skinning........

Has anyone Noticed that Skinning only drops 1-2 Savage leather, where if i was herbing or mining it drops from 2-4? Why should skinning be so difficult to farm?

uh.... mining nodes are few and far between.. skinnable mobs aren't

Availability, probably.

Because it only supplies one profession, whilst mining and herbalism supply 2 each

becuase you to a spot and there are 20 wolves or 20 crocs to skin whereas flying around for 35 sec till you see your next node you will end up killing 2.5 crocs in the the time the herber gets his 1 herb

I am skinner/herber and the only reason i find it eisier to herb is im to lazy to kill all those creatures
    on nights that i spend 30 min herbing and 30 min skinning i get 6 stacks of leather whereas 4stack of herbs

10+ Year Old Account
    You try herbing in Twilight Hightlands once you've done all the quests and, see how few nodes there are for you to gather so, yeah skinners have it easy.
    I. LIKE. TO. KILL. THINGS.-Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Mayor of a Little Village up the Coast, Mistress of Magma and Lord of the Dance.

skinning you can control where and what you farm (large packs or in areas players are killing things regularly).

herbalism and mining are completely dependent on phasing, quantity of nodes, and how many herbalists/miners are currently raping (correct use) the landscape.

if you get caught behind someone or at a time/area a lot of other gatherers are, you may not even see them, but they are stealing your nodes.

if you are skinning, you aren't tracking a HuD or minimap looking for blips spread out, you are looking for packs of mobs and farming in a relatively small area. if someone else is there, you will see them and if they start to slow down your progress (kills between you are faster than respawn rate) ... one of you will most likely move on to more productive territory.

When xpac first hit, i got to 525 skinning in the 1st hour, i couldn't skin fast enough all the crabs people were killing in the starting area of Vashj ... or nesingwary questing areas has always been good for farming in sholazar/stv.

If you have decent gear, you can find yourself a easy area to mass pull and kill with little to no risk of death, and skin in packs, move a bit, rinse, repeat, and work a repeatable path. flight speed means the least to the skinner as well, as a node that appears can be gathered by someone else before you get to it, but skinners, once tagging the mob, its yours, unless you loot and walk away to kill more before skinning it lol and as long as others in the area aren't skinners and (auto)-loot the corpses, you get to skin their kills as well.

The only time this argument would have had any merit was deepholm pre-nerf. There was literally so many nodes, you couldn't keep up with herbing them as a tauren druid, it felt like being a skinner during a peak leveling time in sholazar/stv.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOWoW View Post
    Because it only supplies one profession, whilst mining and herbalism supply 2 each
    3 professions for mining actually but yeah that's the only real reason(not including phasing issues) that I can see herb nodes dropping more mats than skinning does.

Deleted
    Are you crying about skinning? For real? Skinning is the easiest prof to level and farm. Beasts are everywhere and they are in packs. They are there even in instances. I got more than a stack leather from Stonecore yesterday. That's 150-200g extra profit for doing a HC..

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    3 professions for mining actually but yeah that's the only real reason(not including phasing issues) that I can see herb nodes dropping more mats than skinning does.
    lol yeah totally forgot about Engineering :P

Plus you can skin mobs that others kill as long as they looted all of it. Can't share mines or herb nodes (anymore).

Deleted
    I've been researching skinning locations so I can level my leather working more quickly.

Skinning itself is easy enough to level but while there were lots of 'packs' in WotLK there aren't any profitable ones outside of instances that I know of in Cata. Outside of instances the mobs are all too far spaced out to make AoE'ing them down worthwhile.

It's not just herbs that got nerfed - the best mobs for skinning were nerfed too.