Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    Yes. For being nearly a decade old, it does a fantastic job at what it does.

The Gamebryo engine has no place in a newly developed game in my humble opinion.
    So you'd rather have a 10 year old engine, than a newer one that looks better and can do more?

What year was your car made? I know somebody that has a Jeep from 2000 that they'll trade you. After all, why should you drive something newer and better, when a 10 year old car does a fantastic job at what it does?

Deleted
    Played my cleric to level 18 ( Didn't start until saturday evening :<) And I have gotten more enjoyment out of it, than the last month I have played wow, the system is in it's final polishing state right now, and I have already preordered it to secure more beta access and I WILL be playing it at launch (actually a week early, preorder bonus <3) I just did my first dungeon tonight, and the final boss just blew me away, the graphics, the intensity, I love it.

I did not record this, but I thought I would share this video with you guys who haven't been as lucky as us who have played the game already, to give you a taste. This is from a healer POV, and I have no idea which one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0uuB7S5YRg

*Edit* It's a cleric as well, but not one with the same soul trees (Talent trees) as I have on mine, and the play style is a lot different, my cleric is a merge of resto shaman/resto druid with a holy paladin's holy shock

the only reason i am thinking of picking this up is that you can play Bard!! hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by TheEverydayDre View Post
    But its true... You cant compare twink pvp to end game pvp... Am I right. In Rift beta we are basically twinks lol. Im not making excuses for the game, im just saying the potential is there.
    I'm just saying, people always make a lot of excuses for the new game they are playing because they hope it will be decent.

I can bet money most of you are going to be burnt out and hate the game in a few months time. It's bound to happen when an MMO does barely anything new. I've been there and done that way too many times to actually look forward to most MMO games these days.

So you'd rather have a 10 year old engine, than a newer one that looks better and can do more?

What year was your car made? I know somebody that has a Jeep from 2000 that they'll trade you. After all, why should you drive something newer and better, when a 10 year old car does a fantastic job at what it does?
    I think he would rather have a new engine that is decent, not the piece of shit that WAR ran off of. (and had a ton of optimization issues while not looking that much better than WoW).

So will it be the death of WoW? Probably not, but i hope it puts up a gooooooood long and hard fight, it only serves to make WoW a BETTER, balanced and more complete game. "
    Lol. More competition is good, sure, but WoW is in the same place as the iPhone is right now. Sure there are alternatives to it but they aren't threatening it at all. That's why I think it is pointless to make another "WoW-like (or EQ-Like or whatever the fuck you wanna call it)" MMO and instead look towards other methods. Guild Wars 2 is a great example of them trying to move the genre forward instead of stagnating it. Likewise TERA is moving it forward if not in a different direction (with a focus on more action-oriented combat and combos).
    Last edited by Cyrant; 2011-01-10 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    Played my cleric to level 18 ( Didn't start until saturday evening :<) And I have gotten more enjoyment out of it, than the last month I have played wow, the system is in it's final polishing state right now, and I have already preordered it to secure more beta access and I WILL be playing it at launch (actually a week early, preorder bonus <3) I just did my first dungeon tonight, and the final boss just blew me away, the graphics, the intensity, I love it.

I did not record this, but I thought I would share this video with you guys who haven't been as lucky as us who have played the game already, to give you a taste. This is from a healer POV, and I have no idea which one

*Edit* It's a cleric as well, but not one with the same soul trees (Talent trees) as I have on mine, and the play style is a lot different, my cleric is a merge of resto shaman/resto druid with a holy paladin's holy shock
    To be honest that video makes this game look insanely boring to me. All the healer did was spam Healing Grace while never going below 90% mana. Everything looked to be tank and spank.

I just got the feeling that most of the high level play would just be grinding rifts. Maybe that was just my feelings though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0uuB7S5YRg
    Jesus, that was at 2x speed? I feel sorry for that group. That was so slow and monotonous.
    Last edited by Melonberry; 2011-01-10 at 08:27 PM.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerion View Post
    To be honest that video makes this game look insanely boring to me. All the healer did was spam Healing Grace while never going below 90% mana. Everything looked to be tank and spank.
    Same. Perhaps it was because the video was running at 2x real time and I didn't catch everything, but I didn't see anything extraordinary about the combat. I didn't see any mechanics that involved coordination and major movement. It just looked like they stacked up on what ever they were killing and the healer just stood back and spam healed (and the healer's mana bar barely moved).

A game doesn't have to be as good as WoW
    It has to be better
    No game that is only equal to wow will convince all the wow players to leave

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrant View Post
    I'm just saying, people always make a lot of excuses for the new game they are playing because they hope it will be decent.

I can bet money most of you are going to be burnt out and hate the game in a few months time. It's bound to happen when an MMO does barely anything new. I've been there and done that way too many times to actually look forward to most MMO games these days.

I think he would rather have a new engine that is decent, not the piece of shit that WAR ran off of. (and had a ton of optimization issues while not looking that much better than WoW).

Lol. More competition is good, sure, but WoW is in the same place as the iPhone is right now. Sure there are alternatives to it but they aren't threatening it at all. That's why I think it is pointless to make another "WoW-like (or EQ-Like or whatever the fuck you wanna call it)" MMO and instead look towards other methods. Guild Wars 2 is a great example of them trying to move the genre forward instead of stagnating it. Likewise TERA is moving it forward if not in a different direction (with a focus on more action-oriented combat and combos).
    Pretty much everything here should be QFT.

A real WoW competitor will have something more to offer than just a mash up of Warhammer + AoC.

This topic needs more IT WON'T BE AS GOOD AS MY GIRLFRIEND, WORLD OF WARCRAFT! people in it.

Bioware has never made a game that ever disappointed me, and if there's one thing I could wish for in the gaming world is that it owns the fuck out of WoW, because it's about time something did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwine77 View Post
    Same. Perhaps it was because the video was running at 2x real time and I didn't catch everything, but I didn't see anything extraordinary about the combat. I didn't see any mechanics that involved coordination and major movement. It just looked like they stacked up on what ever they were killing and the healer just stood back and spam healed (and the healer's mana bar barely moved).
    This is the first instance available to the Guardian faction, and as such it should be comparable to DM or WC. Now during the time where you learn your character, aka low levels, how hard are dungeons supposed to be? I'm pretty positive that you can expect some changes at level 50, which is gonna be the cap. That being said, I had a lot of fun clearing out that place, hearing dialogue, doing the quests and killing the bosses, as for difficulty, it will definitely get tougher as you level up

TL;DR, intro dungeons are supposed to be easy if you have a flair for this kind of game, to be lenient towards newer players.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    This topic needs more IT WON'T BE AS GOOD AS MY GIRLFRIEND, WORLD OF WARCRAFT! people in it.

Bioware has never made a game that ever disappointed me, and if there's one thing I could wish for in the gaming world is that it owns the fuck out of WoW, because it's about time something did.
    No, we're more like, "OMG IT IS GENERIC WOW KILLER #37! WE WON'T STOP HEARING ABOUT IT DUE TO THE HYPE ... UNTIL AFTER A FEW MONTHS AFTER LAUNCH BEFORE IT BECOMES IRRELEVANT LIKE THE ALL THE PREVIOUS WOW KILLERS!!".

An MMO will have to bring more to the table than WoW if it stands a chance of unseating it. When WoW came out people didn't say, "Hey, This WoW game is almost as good as Everquest so lets all jump ship to them!!"

I play games to enjoy myself and to spend time to friends and family as well as long-distant, never-met-before friends. I don't care if a WoW killer ever comes along. I just want to enjoy myself with my friends, what ever it is we end up playing.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwine77 View Post
    No, we're more like, "OMG IT IS GENERIC WOW KILLER #37! WE WON'T STOP HEARING ABOUT IT DUE TO THE HYPE ... UNTIL AFTER A FEW MONTHS AFTER LAUNCH BEFORE IT BECOMES IRRELEVANT LIKE THE ALL THE PREVIOUS WOW KILLERS!!".

An MMO will have to bring more to the table than WoW if it stands a chance of unseating it. When WoW came out people didn't say, "Hey, This WoW game is almost as good as Everquest so lets all jump ship to them!!"

I play games to enjoy myself and to spend time to friends and family as well as long-distant, never-met-before friends. I don't care if a WoW killer ever comes along. I just want to enjoy myself with my friends, what ever it is we end up playing.
    Fucking this.

I'm just tired of hearing about more generic MMOs. I think it's funny that they are trying to directly compete with WoW.

I was listening to a podcast (on Giant bomb) that had Paul Barnett on it. He was one of the creative leads for Warhammer Online. He talked about the kind of experience it was like to try and go up against WoW.. you just can't do it. For reasons I mentioned above WoW has so firmly rooted its self that you aren't going to "destroy" it. No game is.

The thing I don't like is that so many of these MMOs are doing the same, boring, tried-and-true mechanics that many of us have been used to for years now. I've been playing MMO games for a long time now and I think that it is about time to move away from this bland style of MMO.

Perhaps people can tell me why RIFT is the savior of MMORPGs and why it is so unique and great. All I am hearing so far though is "well this is like WoW its kinda cool, this is sorta like WoW but not as good but WoW wasn't as good then so it is ok and this is new".

TL;DR: you try and go up against a game with 3 expansion packs and 6 years or so worth of content and you are going to get burned.

Why are you mentioning Bioware? It's not like they have anything to do with this...

Also, as history has shown us if there is a competitor on the verge of releasing viable competition, then Blizzard will roll out a new major patch that takes the winds out of its competitors sails.

"Hey, this game is better than WoW because of A, B, C, and D!"

Right before release of the competing product, Blizzard will release a new patch that says,

"Good news everyone! This new patch introduces A, B, and D!"

Sure Blizzard won't be able (or wish to) copy all the features in their competition, but they just need to do enough to deflate any new upstart MMOs.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Healing is boring? I disagree. Try out Warden as your main soul tree and Sentinel as your off-tree. It's insanely fun with its various HoTs and AOEs. It does the job and it doesn't feel repetitive, because all of its abilities are situational..there are no spam abilities without you wasting all of your mana unless you're stacked on mana potions and use the High Elf racial properly.

The real game breaker is going to be endgame content. Many, many MMOs pretty much focus completely on PvP when it comes to endgame content, and while there's nothing wrong with PvP, when it's the only option given to you, it can be a problem. I've also seen a lot of MMOs that are awesome at first, but content just starts to vanish as you get into higher levels.

Gonna have to wait on this one a while.

EDIT: And another point... it's going to have to bring a lot more than simply being on par with Cataclysm. It will take an MMO that in no way resembles WoW to actually overtake the market. I read an article recently that said 'nobody knows what could possibly unseat WoW, except that it's going to be something nobody is expecting or can imagine.' The reason for this is because if people knew how to actually 'beat' WoW, then everybody would be making that game right now. In any case, you can't compete with WoW, not if you're developing a game that is a very similar format. It has nothing to do with how good or bad WoW or another game is, and everything to do with the fact that WoW has a crapton of momentum. It'd be like trying to stop an aircraft carrier with your fist. It doesn't matter if the aircraft carrier sucks, it's still a god damn aircraft carrier.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-01-10 at 09:51 PM.

I love how these babies are criticizing the video of an intro dungeon being tank and spank, where have you been all through WOTLK?

I have no plans to get rift personally taking a break from the whole MMO genre and waiting on Tera, but hey who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbaprime View Post
    I love how these babies are criticizing the video of an intro dungeon being tank and spank, where have you been all through WOTLK?

I have no plans to get rift personally taking a break from the whole MMO genre and waiting on Tera, but hey who knows.
    Except that the developers are trying to convince people to come to their game. If all the intro stuff is like that I wouldn't want to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbaprime View Post

I love it too lol... Like wotlk dungeons were not tank and spank.
    Seriously... Im sure what people expect to see from starting dungeons lol. Thats like saying "everything in deadmines is tank and spank" ya know.

I felt the 2 dungeons i did were fine. The end boses were scripted enough to teach u how to play your class without killing you endlessly.

Im not saying rift is a "wow killer..." But its definitely ON PAR, meaning i can have as much fun playing it as WoW. In beta there were no complaints, all i saw were praises in general, "this is great!!!" "I like the wow cues..." "feels good" "im preordering" thats all i saw all weekend. NO one generally had anything BAD to say. It was all good stuff! When warcraft was in beta i doubt it was as good as rift. My friend told me horror stories about how meh WoW was at the very start, needing much work.

Im most likely going to buy the game, its worth it. Play a month or two, hopefully i get in some end game beta. Id like to see the level 50 stuff, if they have 25-40 man style raids im in. As it stands im not having much fun in cata, so rift is worth trying.

Ill say this, i have Aion, and guild wars. Rift pwns that shiit... Warhammer, never played. Wont comment on it.

Between GW2, rift... I wont have time to play wow, im probably going to leave in feb when my game card runs out.
    Last edited by TheEverydayDre; 2011-01-11 at 12:07 AM.

www.youtube.com/TheEverydayDre Cata raid vids coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    i was in the beta... And ... This has nothing to do with wow at all... i already canceled my subscription to play rift instead, however i warn most wow fanboys to stay out, as this game will require more brain to play... Also theres no cartoon graphic, so it wont fit you anyways.
    Man, I love seeing intelligent posts like this anytime a new MMO is slated to come out.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?