Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Dogs - joys, sorrows & troubles

To keep the " I want to see your pets. Yep, it's a "post your pets!" thread" over the Fun sub-forum on-topic, post all the stuff regarding the wide variety of dogs here!

Just remember to keep it civil. These issues about breeds and stuff tend to be rather close to many of us, and could easily result in a heated battle, so keep your head cool!

I'll just quote my last post here to get this started.

You are right, but some breeds like Rottweilers //are// more difficult ´keeping in control-wise than the others because of their past as a fighting dog. Definitely not to be taken as the first dog or for the weak-minded.

The proper training for them is essential and the responsible breeders will always check out carefully if the owner-to-be is experienced and good enough for these harder dogs.
    And I'll proceed by posting a fancy picture of my 11 week old Bordercollie puppy!

Adorable puppy but I have to disagree with your history of the Rottweiler. Rotties were originally a cart pulling breed if I remember correctly and were also used for their abilities as a guard dog. They were not bred to be a fighting dog. I do agree that they require a firm owner who will take the time to properly socialize them.

i currently have a jack russel/corgi cross, and a cavalier king charles and both are adorable, for any new dog owner i really would recommend the cavalier, they were literally bred to be lap dogs, they do however require a lot of attention and are quite needy.

Collie is one of my favorite breeds, excellent choice, we can be friends now. I'm hoping to get a doberman pinscher soon-ish, when I get out of school.

My baby girl. Half chihuahua and half shiatsu.
    Last edited by Simonzi; 2011-01-11 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Edit for resizing.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

my pup:
    siberian husky she is a lot of work dont be fooled by the lazy picture below this is one energetic dog.

the joys: they are very personable, love being companion type pets and they are very fun to play with in the winter

the sorrows and troubles: well, they shed horribly espeically when blowing the undercoat, they need a fair amount more exercise than most breeds, and they are very indedpendant/stubborn minded.

the worse thing that "bothers" me would be i cant let her off leash unless i am in a fence in yard, even then it needs to be husky proof these things are the houdinie's of the dog world and can dig/climb like a champ.

that said i wouldnt trade her for the world

Last edited by trsvanq; 2011-01-11 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Broken Links

I am thinking to get a saint bernard

The one on the left is Bowser, Australian Shepherd mix.
    The one on the right is Batman, German Shepherd/Malamute mix. Biggest dog I've ever had. A real sweetheart though. <3

I had to rehome them when we moved because we didn't have enough space for them anymore. I miss them a lot. =(

Right now, my parents have a Miniature Pinscher named Buddy and he is the devil.

When I was younger I had two Rottweilers named Holly and Rock, and a Belgian Shepherd named Sid. I've always preferred bigger dogs. They were all great pets, although Rock didn't like me that much. That's okay though, little kids are annoying, I wouldn't like me either. =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Brouhaha, a thread to show off your animal pics!
    We've got 3 dogs, 2 cats.

Cassie: Border Collie mix (we got her from the humane society, not sure of what all she's mixed with).

Noel: Dobie/White Lab mix. She was the runt, and as a consequence, she is a very sickly dog.

Pudge: He's an Oripei, who we really need to get on a diet!

Ryder: Standard Grey/black tiger stripe Tabby, but he's mixed with something massive. Hard to get an idea of the scale of this guy, but he's about 20 lbs, and not fat. Just enormous.

Kalie (Not Pictured: Same as Ryder, only about half his size. She's a sweet cat.

We're all animal lovers in the house. If we had the time/money to have more, we most certainly would. We've been very fortunate with our animals, all have been the sweetest dogs & cats you could ever ask for.

Great Dane, Bentley. Beyond awesome dog, but he's good at stealing food, since he doesn't even have to put effort into reaching things in the middle of the table. He was once butthurt because I wouldn't let him be in the kitchen while I was making toast, so he slinked out looking sad, stood there for a few seconds, and without breaking eye contact with me, slowly reached across the table and took one of my slices of toast. Disappeared down his gullet without him chewing, then he went to sulk int he bedroom. This was when he was a puppy.

Corky, the dog I grew up with. She's 12 now, and this pictures probably 4 years old now at least. She's gotten really gray.

Horchata (white) and Loki. They're essentially autistic toddlers, after they die I'm not getting any more ferrets. Too much work, too much energy.

Crom (top) and his sister Ripley (self-booping). Ferret bedding was everywhere after we'd finished wrestling with the cage, and they helped us out by sleeping on it all.

Signature courtesy of Safhira.

I have 3 german shepherds. Absolutely adore the breed. If you can handle them; they're easily the best dog to have (just my opinion). Friend, protection, and... staring contest buddy all in one! Mine can all open gates, doors... :/

Cammy... she's extremely hyperactive.

Hugo... he wasn't sure about the camera. Sasquatchesque photo op. lol

Mitch. Enough said. lol He's candid.
    Last edited by Felicia; 2011-01-11 at 06:39 PM.

I WANT A PUPPY! Doberman and German Shepherd are my favorite breeds but I know I'm just gonna rescue a mutt from a shelter first chance I get. Theres no way I can have one right now where I live and as much as I work
    Instead I stare at other people's pet pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    I WANT A PUPPY! Doberman and German Shepherd are my favorite breeds but I know I'm just gonna rescue a mutt from a shelter first chance I get. Theres no way I can have one right now where I live and as much as I work
    Instead I stare at other people's pet pics.
    Hugo and Cammy are rescue, actually. There's a lot of German Shepherd rescue, and I'm absolutely positive there's dobie rescues, too! I'm getting a puppy from my mom! Christmas gift I'm so happy I have the land for these dogs.

I'll eventually get a shitz'zhu, shiatsu? (bad spelling..) My mom has one named Roger Roger... best little dog I've ever been around. So personable and affectionate, I fell in love. lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Hugo and Cammy are rescue, actually. There's a lot of German Shepherd rescue, and I'm absolutely positive there's dobie rescues, too! I'm getting a puppy from my mom! Christmas gift I'm so happy I have the land for these dogs.

I'll eventually get a shitz'zhu, shiatsu? (bad spelling..) My mom has one named Roger Roger... best little dog I've ever been around. So personable and affectionate, I fell in love. lol
    Yeah, in Finland German Shepherd is the breed that's brought to the kennels most because of "problems"...and to the vet's spike too.

The thing is that it's the second most popular breed here, but still rather difficult dog to raise. This is often forgotten by the buyers (and unresposible breeders) which often results, sadly, in problems which could cost the dog's life. And those problems are caused only by humans!

So they are numerous in the rescue-kennels. Same will propably go for the Dobermann's.

---------- Post added 2011-01-11 at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Adorable puppy but I have to disagree with your history of the Rottweiler. Rotties were originally a cart pulling breed if I remember correctly and were also used for their abilities as a guard dog. They were not bred to be a fighting dog. I do agree that they require a firm owner who will take the time to properly socialize them.
    Well, according to the wikipedia it's used only as a guard dog and that kind of stuff. Originates from the times of rome, same job still. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Origano View Post
    Yeah, in Finland German Shepherd is the breed that's brought to the kennels most because of "problems"...and to the vet's spike too.

The thing is that it's the second most popular breed here, but still rather difficult dog to raise. This is often forgotten by the buyers (and unresposible breeders) which often results, sadly, in problems which could cost the dog's life. And those problems are caused only by humans!

So they are numerous in the rescue-kennels. Same will propably go for the Dobermann's.

---------- Post added 2011-01-11 at 10:01 PM ----------

Well, according to the wikipedia it's used only as a guard dog and that kind of stuff. Originates from the times of rome, same job still. =)
    Yeah. It's sad. Cammy needs A LOT of socialization, as she has a lot of energy. No one wanted to adopt her, and to give her a chance. I was raised around German Shepherds my entire life; so I thought she'd fit in quite well. Hugo is really mellow, and Mitch is an in-between (egocentric ball obsession). She's been doing great so far with our two dogs, and my mom's dogs. But it takes hours to run her energy out. I wear myself out more then anything. lol But she's still a puppy, too.

Most dogs just need their human to understand their needs; and it's a shame when a great breed like shepherds go to bad homes with people who don't understand their needs. It pisses me off more then anything. Hugo and Cammy both were blessings, and I couldn't ask for more loyal dogs. Mitch is just happy for his ball! When we get our puppy, that'll open a new adventure.

Only got the link for now

http://nobody-imp.deviantart.com/art...a-box-67789224

this half black labrador half springer spaniel belonged to my grandmother
    Last edited by Eskinor Is Here; 2011-01-13 at 03:13 PM.
    No. No no no no nononnonon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskinor Is Here View Post
    Only got the link for now

http://nobody-imp.deviantart.com/art...a-box-67789224

this half black labrador half jack russel/ Springer spaniel (can't remember it's been a long time :P) Belonged to my grandmother
    Oh, how cute!

I wonder, how many of you have some hobbies with your dogs? Agility and such?

I'm personally going to start agility after a year when Krik is a bit over one yeard old. It should be quite fun experience for the dog and for me. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Also have a border collie! Unfortunately I have no pictures on my laptop and won't be going home until Easter

Quote Originally Posted by Origano View Post
    Oh, how cute!

I wonder, how many of you have some hobbies with your dogs? Agility and such?

I'm personally going to start agility after a year when Krik is a bit over one yeard old. It should be quite fun experience for the dog and for me. =)
    I did Schutzhund training with our shepherd mix for a year or so, but he had difficulty learning so we decided that it wasn't for us. =P

Agility always sounded fun though, and I always wanted to try it. Maybe in the future when I have more space to own a dog myself. =)

hobbies or activities hurmm
    with mya, i take her roller blading and bicycling in the summer and when she gets a bit older here i want to get some cross country ski's for the winter activity.
    i have her treadmill trained but i haven't been allowing her on it she used the bathroom on it once and it was quite a job to clean (while moving)