Deleted

X3 450 performance

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of using a X3 450 for cataclysm?

I'm going to make a new build pc soon.
    I'll be using a gtx 460 gpu.

Budget is very tight so alternative CPU would have to be around £70 max
    Or I would have lower gpu to a gts 450 to free up money.

Any advice welcome.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if you only have 70 euros for a processor, I would switch down to a gts 450, it would run wow in ultra and you don't want to skimp on your processor. As some people say, WoW has always been more of a CPU game rather than a GPU.

This would allow you to have around 170 euros in which you could get an i3 core 540 and have 40-50 euros to spare.
    Last edited by Gat; 2011-01-11 at 12:17 AM.

Deleted
    So the X3 450 is underpowered to run wow on Ultra?

Ill prob try and go for an X4 955 then and get a GTS450.

If anyone has experience of playing WoW with the X3 450 then feedback would be appreciated.

I'm proud owner of Athlon II X3 435 that was a bit overclocked to 3.2GHz (the same frequency as your X3 450). My GPU is GTX460 1gb MSI Cyclone. Everywhere except capitals FPS is ~40-60 on ultra setting with resolution 1920x1080. But in Orgrimmar for example average fps drops to ~15.

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply.

Was thinking surely an X3 at over 3ghz could push this game to playable FPS.

What are the FPS like in 5 man Normal/HC dungeons and 10 man Raids?

Deleted
    In my household the budget PC's I have built include an X3 450 with a GTX460 768MB card which runs games incredibly well at 1920x1080. The person who uses system regularly plays SC2, which he runs on high settings and can get pretty intensive on some maps. He has good framrates and has not complained at all.

The other system was an X3 445 coupled with a Radeon 5670. Other than some strange VPU errors which were fixed once we upgraded the OS to windows 7, it played WoW Cata very smoothly at the 1280x1024 resolution (19"monitor), with no slowdown and on high quality settings. I can't say in terms of raiding experience, but overall playing experience outside of 25man raiding was no issue at all. (He did one oldschool BT/SSC raid with 8/9 ppl)

Therefore the original X3 450 and GTX460 combo should suit your son fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Muadebe View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Was thinking surely an X3 at over 3ghz could push this game to playable FPS.

What are the FPS like in 5 man Normal/HC dungeons and 10 man Raids?
    In 5man dungeons fps always stays at 60. Unfoturnately im just leveling so i cant tell u fps in raids. But i think my config is enought for comfortable raiding on ultra settings, because the only sitiations, when framerate drops below 30 are overpopulated capitals. And i suppose, according to blue posts, low fps in capicals its a common problem for any computer. On BG's (including Alterac with a lot of ppl) its also OK - 40-60 fps.
    Last edited by Nattfodd; 2011-01-11 at 02:44 PM.

Deleted
    Wow. If you can run Ultra on a X3 450 then why cant i on my system? (sig)
    Using these settings http://oi52.tinypic.com/ristw2.jpg and getting 40-60 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Probably your graphics card. WoW is pretty dependent on the processor, but your graphics card still plays a huge role.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Very weak GPU, 2GB RAM, an overclock you don't even have to mention, and 2x AA, seriously, do you expect ultra?

Deleted
    x3 450 is a great cpu at a great price, dont let anyone tell you different

Deleted
    Thank you all for your replies - renewed my faith in the X3.

---------- Post added 2011-01-11 at 06:57 PM ----------

One last query :

I wonder how the X2 555 BE would compare against the X3 450 at stock performance (For WoW ofc).

I know the X2 555 has the chance to unlock 2 extra cores but theres no guarantee. The price difference is only £10.
    Last edited by mmoc11eb5d1f9e; 2011-01-11 at 06:59 PM.

Deleted
    Phenom II 555 will out perform the 450 in WoW and most FPS games but it is a dual core and i would advise against buying one unless you dont mind risking your cash like i did and get lucky unlocking cores with an appropriate Mobo. If it is budget you really want go for an Intel i3 set up if you cant afford the jump to Phenom II x4.

Edit: In 10 man raids the 450 will grind to a halt in some fights one guildy of mine is raging at how bad it gets in Throne of the four Winds. He just blew a wad of cash on a GTX 570 and paired it to a 450 so serves him right lol :P
    Last edited by mmoc436a444510; 2011-01-11 at 07:31 PM.

Deleted
    I like the idea of paying for an X2 to get X4 performance lol.

The i3 is only Dual core aswell tho so wouldnt the X2 555 be similar performance ?

Deleted
    I dont know much about Intel i3 as i have never used the 1156 platform but i know the i3 is better than Phenom II 555 and any Athlon out there in wow and it costs the same or even a little less than the phenom II so it is a reasonable buy and easily overclocked by most people with use of a guide (there are alot of good guides).