Looking for new computer!

Hey first time poster, was reading through the forums and seen how helpful everyone was here. I am looking to get a new desktop when I get my tax return. I'm the kind of person who needs it asap and don't have the patience to build my own, so I'm trying to get feedback on the best places to get a good deal. What I'm looking for is something with a Pentium I7. 1TB HD, 6-8GB of ram, and something with a solid graphics card. I'm assuming I will just update power supply and graphics card a a later date. I'm looking to spend hopefully no more than 1k. I think this is the best deal I've found thus far on tigerdirect.com w w w .tigerdirect.c o m/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6655831&CatId=5138 (please place spaces back in, cant post links)

Any feedback or tips would be really appreciated.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Threelibras View Post
    Hey first time poster, was reading through the forums and seen how helpful everyone was here. I am looking to get a new desktop when I get my tax return. I'm the kind of person who needs it asap and don't have the patience to build my own, so I'm trying to get feedback on the best places to get a good deal. What I'm looking for is something with a Pentium I7. 1TB HD, 6-8GB of ram, and something with a solid graphics card. I'm assuming I will just update power supply and graphics card a a later date. I'm looking to spend hopefully no more than 1k. I think this is the best deal I've found thus far on tigerdirect.com w w w .tigerdirect.c o m/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6655831&CatId=5138 (please place spaces back in, cant post links)

Any feedback or tips would be really appreciated.
    Since you said you wanted an i7 I looked around for one with a decent graphics card. The best one I could find with a decent graphics card is this one within the price of the computer you listed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883147576

If you gave me a budget, it would be easier to find you an option. The computer you listed has a fairly good graphics card that could run Wow on ultra high pretty in almost any situation, as it compares with the GTS 450.

Would you just be playing WoW on this system? If not what are some other games you would be playing so I could give you some benchmarks.

Hey thanks for the reply I really really appreciate the feedback. My budget im shooting for is no more than 1,000. For the games it would be really mostly wow, want to run on ultra with solid FPS, but I do dabble in starcraft and maybe some CoD as well, but 80-90% wow.

You'll be hard pressed to find a computer like that for a cap of $1000. Most fall within the $1200-1400 range. I would say drop it to about 4GB of RAM, that should really open your options up. If you're just playing WoW 85% of the time you don't really need +6GB of RAM. WoW is 32-bit coded and won't take advantage of the extra RAM you installed, despite running a 64-bit OS.

That being said, here's another option which includes the new SandyBridge i7. It only has a GT420 in it so it probably won't run Ultra, but I would still take a look at it
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883108462

Here's another one, just over the $1,000 mark
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227304

If you want better graphics you could always opt for the i5 series, which will be cheaper, allowing for a bigger graphics card. I've got an i5 and a strong GPU and I run WoW at max without issue. Another option would be going AMD and running the Phenom II X6, which is about the same price-point at the i5 series and preforms better.
    Last edited by muCephei; 2011-01-11 at 04:32 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Threelibras View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply I really really appreciate the feedback. My budget im shooting for is no more than 1,000. For the games it would be really mostly wow, want to run on ultra with solid FPS, but I do dabble in starcraft and maybe some CoD as well, but 80-90% wow.
    Okay, so for just shy of 1100 dollars (I know over budget) this computer is a steal. Normally at 1500 dollars, this has the i7 in it you wanted, along with 9gb ram, 1.5T HDD, and a GREAT Gpu (radeon HD 5850). Basically, this card would run any game on the highest graphics with ease (one of the best AMD cards possible) not to mention it has Directx 11 support.

Alternatively, you could spend 100 less dollars and get this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229197

Has the CPU you wanted, but only 4gb ram (doesn't matter too much), 1T HDD and a Radeon 5770. Generally this card won't give you any problems running WoW on ultra, but in some cases you would have to tone down the graphics a bit to get smooth FPS (highly populated areas, raids, anything intensive). Now with starcraft this card wouldn't be able to handle Full ultra settings in most cases, although WoW and SCII use the same graphics engine, as you could imagine SCII is way more GPU intensive than WoW.

However, both cards would handle CoD easily on high settings.

personally, I would fork out the extra 100 dollars, as that first option would allow you to play future games aswell, while the 5770 will most likely be outdated by the end of 2011. This is assuming you wish to play on ultra settings, if you dont mind switching to medium in the future than its your choice from here.

Yeah im really liking that one for 1100, hopefully I get a solid tax return and im def going for that one, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Deleted
    Holy crap at those newegg computers, you could build a better one for way less money :| Why those terribly shit GPU's on nearly each and every one of them aswell...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Holy crap at those newegg computers, you could build a better one for way less money :| Why those terribly shit GPU's on nearly each and every one of them aswell...

Newegg isn't built around gaming computers.