Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Personally i'd go with the i5 if you're not going to do heavy multitasking or other things that will heavily use all 4 cores at once. I'm a long time AMD supporter, still am. But the i3/i5/i7 series as it stands just does far more per clock than the Phenom II series. Part of why my new system is Dual Hex-Core Xeons over my originally planned Phenom II 1090T(or better)

Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    i5 is more than enough for WoW, that and a decent enough PSU and graphics card like the 250GTS or similar and you will stay above 100 FPS at even the worst of times. I have even been up close to 300 with my i5.
    Yea....no.

I call bullshit on this one. I don't think 300 is POSSIBLE at all, especially on your setup. If you're talking about an i5, it better be a dual-core, if not it's doing nothing but leading the OP in the wrong way, and even there 300 is not possible. Your GPU isnt helping, even if it's a really small factor in WoW compared to most games.

In total honesty for WoW strictly higher clock speed USUALLY means better performances for anything 2 cores +, althought if you plan on doing other tasks with it, the quad-core might be better. Up to you, really. Both are good processors for a laptop. You MIGHT get slightly higher performances with a quad-core, since WoW takes advantages or three (3) cores, leaving you one for doing whatever you like in the background.
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-01-11 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    As for AMD = AMD and intel = Nvidia, it might be true in the future. There are no guarantees. But pci-e is pci-e. They work as fine with eachother as you can expect.
    I dunno if intel intel and nvidia will merge anytime in the near future. Currently Intel is trying to get into the graphics market (poorly i might add) and nvidia is alreading making ARM processors and is planning on releasing a desktop computer processor based on arm cores.

If intel does buy nvidia it will be to stave off the inevitability of ARM gobbling up the low power computing market.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

AMD all the way.

Deleted
    I use AMD products but i would say when it comes to Laptops you would be better going for an Intel set-up they just work better, They are cooler and more efficient and powerfull at the same time.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had much experience with AMD laptops just desktops. My wife's Intel HP runs really really hot though it does have non integrated video though. There is no way she can play wow without the cooler. Here are the specs, it's a few years old, but runs wow fine. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0GHz) and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT. It ran better than my old desktop. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ and 7900 GS. But that AMD chip was quite a bit older.

My AMD x965 runs quite a bit cooler than previous AMD chips I've had in the past. Could just be a better cooler or case though.

I have a AMD quad core running at 3.2 ghz and 8gig DDR3 ram with a kinda old 9800GT with 1GB DDR3. my game stays steady lock 60 fps all the time even when raiding and i have almost max settings.. except for shadows of course. on another Note i still have my old M5550 Alienware Laptop with a Core2duo running at 2.0 Ghz 3 gig ram with an 8600gt runs wow on medium setting to high at 40-45fps but the problem with that is the it gets really and i mean really hot..
    by the way you really wouldnt be able to play wow at 300fps or even 100fps for that matter 60fps is what games are normally suppose to run at. its ridiculous in my opinion to play wow that fast is like watching a movie fast forwarding it?
    but correct me if im wrong though..
    Last edited by babyboy8100; 2011-01-12 at 04:26 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you can get 100FPS, maybe higher not sure on this, with a very expensive machine. 300 is right out though. That's probably their latency. I get 60FPS on Ultra with everything maxed, using AMD x965 and Radeon 6850. No overclocking yet, haven't needed too.

I think a saw a slider where you can set your max FPS, and mine was set on 100. I could have been looking at something else so don't quote me on that.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Clocking a mobile i3 to 4.2ghz is just asking for a $1000 smoke machine...
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    The intel core i3 540 clocks stabily to 4.2ghz with ease.

If you spend extra on super cooling your system you can get stable clock speeds approaching 5ghz.

Overclockers.co.uk clock all their i3 540's to 4.2ghz - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...ortby=priceAsc

If you look at any review on the 540 you will see for yourself that this is completely viable.

If you want a cheap PC with superb game performance, you buy an i3 540, clock it to 4.2ghz and purchase a hawk 460 and clock that to 1ghz. Hey presto, you have a superb top end gaming machine for a bottom entry price

edit - didn't see you was talking about a mobile processor. Yea, i would probably agree. Overclocking the mobile processors this high would probably fry your machine and set fire to your house hehe
    Uhm...

Clocking a mobile i3 to 4.2ghz is just asking for a $1000 smoke machine...
    Like I said, Smoke machine, fire hazard, penis cooker, whatever.

edit - didn't see you was talking about a mobile processor. Yea, i would probably agree. Overclocking the mobile processors this high would probably fry your machine and set fire to your house hehe
    There you go lol.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    The intel core i3 540 clocks stabily to 4.2ghz with ease.
    You're talking about Clarkdale processors, Asera is talking about Arrandale processors.

The topic was Laptop processors, you're talking about Desktop processors.

I love to see how many people failed to read the OP.

The OP is looking for a laptop. Now, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that all Intel core i5s are dual cores in laptops. Also, OCing on a laptop is completley out of the question because 99% of the laptops will not allow you to do so. There are exceptions though, but they are very costly and the marginal cost does exceeds the negligible performance gain.

With that said, it depends on what kind of user you are. If you are solely going to use the laptop for gaming, then a faster i5 dual core would be better. If you are going to do some hardcore multi-tasking like burning/encoding/or whatever while you are gaming, then you will most likely lag with a dual core. With a quad core, you can do all the multi-tasking and gaming you want, but you will most likely see a smaller performance loss in most games.

What about their video card? Do both laptops have the same one? Which one has the better video card is also something to consider.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely