Poll: Do people take WoW too seriously?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do People Take This Game Too Seriously?

The title should explain it all. Really don't have to say anything else...

Deleted
    Only a select few take it way too seriously

Some people take it too seriously... Some people assume everyone else is taking the game super seriously just because they care about something in it, though.

It's the same as any hobby. The same as I think people take professional sports too seriously because it's all just a game, some people think people take WoW too seriously because...say...they have a lot of gold or tons of epics from HMs because they dedicate their time to progression.

It depends on the person, though, whether it's taken too seriously in a practical way, or in a crazy way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people will take anything they are passionate about to the extreme, game or no.
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people treat it as if it were real life.

I feel sad for those people.

IMO the poll responses don't make much sense. The question is "Do people take WoW too seriously?"....the "highest" answer is YES, it is just a game......so that answer says "Yes" folks take the game too seriously, but then it says "it is just a game"....makes no sense.

Also the poll is worded asking the reader about OTHER people.....it says "do PEOPLE"... it doesn't say "Do YOU".....given that context some of the poll answers don't make sense either.

That all said...

Yes some people absolutely take this game to ridiculous levels of seriousness and really really have issues with obsession and addiction to it.

No, of course people don't take the game too seriously. Isn't it normal for players to toss around profanity, terms like noob, and other unpleasantries?

Sarcasm aside...yes, some people do take the game to seriously. I would even go as far as saying that some people seem to base their self-worth on their abilities/meter readings in game.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNot1337 View Post
    Some people will take anything they are passionate about to the extreme, game or no.

This

just like people will take things like magic the gathering, rebuilding old cars, ect, seriously. Just because this game is virtual does not mean it holds less weight in my(or anyone else who cares) eyes.

people like to think that they are perfect and that everyone should live their lives like them, im sorry but im not going to "conform" to social norms because its going to have some reward i dont care about.
    Last edited by usiris; 2011-01-11 at 06:13 PM.

Sorry Morte for the inconsistent poll, wrote up the poll in a rush and should have edited it.

Some people take it to seriously yes, but you gotta understand they can have problems in there real life or something, and this is a release, an escape, think outside of the box kthx.

Deleted
    Does it really matter how seriously one takes it?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some do, but some just show a lack of social skills or general competences in being objective. I think it's the same matter, but another reason... Hope you get my point. ^^

There are some people who take this game a little way to seriously... its kinda sad i bet these people have probably not seen sunlight since cataclysm was released.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is expected that if you put time into something, you are taking it seriously. (especially the time some people put in this game for the most basic achievements)

Ask yourself this: if your account was hacked, would you ticket a GM to get gear/money back? If yes, you are taking the game seriously.

Are you 85? If yes, you are taking this game seriously.

IF you spend anywhere from 30 secs to 5 mins reading WoW sites, you take the game seriously. And why shouldn't you? It's a time investment, it is only natural.

It is time to hop off the bandwagon, people. Form your own opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludus View Post
    Does it really matter how seriously one takes it?
    when you know someone who loses their job because he quit showing up to stay at home and play wow. Then gets divorced because of his ignoring his wife because of Wow. I would say that guy is too serious. I know quite a few people that have lost jobs/relationships because of this game. It's pretty sad. Then you have your players who do nothing but eat, sleep, play wow and occasionally work/unemployment.

10 signs you play wow to much

10. You call in to work/class sick for a raid
    9. You pretend to be sick to get out of sex to play
    8. You decide to skip your morning shower to get an extra 15 minutes of farming done
    7. You buy a laptop just so you can play on lunch break
    6. You play your laptop in your car while sitting in traffic
    5. You spend all day while at work sitting on mmo-champ wishing you could be at home playing wow
    4. You take your vacation time to sit at home and play wow instead of going on a vacation
    3. You try to convince your wife to name your baby after a wow character
    2. You have your ISP on speed dial to call any time you get DC'd
    1. You quit your job, gained a significant amount of weight, moved in to your parents basement, and haven't seen a real person in over a week.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

People take the game as serious as they want. It is all relative to how you view the game. While you may view someone else as 'taking the game too serious', it is rather you taking it less serious than they are, which is fine, but you can't judge someone else just because you don't care about something as much as the other person.

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Some people treat it as if it were real life.

I feel sad for those people.
    Well, as long as they aren't condescending.

---------- Post added 2011-01-11 at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    IMO the poll responses don't make much sense. The question is "Do people take WoW too seriously?"....the "highest" answer is YES, it is just a game......so that answer says "Yes" folks take the game too seriously, but then it says "it is just a game"....makes no sense.
    Of course it does. "Its just a game" means games are nothing worth taking seriously, something you just do to waste some time.
    I wanna go back to my trainer and learn a new spell in the next expansion! And we all need to be able to fly from day 1 ! (And fly over the Exodar and Silvermoon on our own mounts!)

Deleted
    If they want to do that they can feel free to.

Quote Originally Posted by Fogkin View Post
    1. You quit your job, gained a significant amount of weight, moved in to your parents basement, and haven't seen a real person in over a week.
    I didn't move into the basement, I have a room on the second floor thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzy View Post
    I didn't move into the basement, I have a room on the second floor thank you.
    But does it have windows? :P