Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I dont know how to overclock, also would it be better to change out the i7-950 to the i7-2600k?

Edit: After looking at the Sandy-Bridge, its a 1155 while my motherboard is a 1366, and that would require a new board and possibly new RAM.
    Last edited by MythDanish; 2011-01-13 at 08:02 AM. Reason: More Information
    Hail Lord Bjor!

An i7-2600k is just as expensive as an i7-950 but has much higher overclocking potential and runs quite a bit cooler on air. Downside its in a 1155 socket Mobo which is pretty lackluster at the moment.

An i5-2500k is the same as the i7-2600k except it doesn't have hyper threading. (useless for gaming). It runs about 100$ cheaper than an i7-950/2600k. Though it runs on 1155 socket mobo which like I said is pretty lackluster. It also runs dual channel DDR3 instead of triple. The amount of performance lost/gained is up for debate.

You save money on the processor, but your mobo limits the amount of expansion you can do, and limits you to dual channel memory.

If you're fine with running 1-2 GPU's, and dual channel memory then Sandybridge is the way to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-072-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-463-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-303-_-Product

That's all you'd have to change to go with an i5-2500k
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

I'll stick with the Set i have now. I never got your PM for the cases, and also since i dont know how to overclock, will I need that extra fan speaking I live in California.
    Hail Lord Bjor!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    An i7-2600k is just as expensive as an i7-950 but has much higher overclocking potential and runs quite a bit cooler on air. Downside its in a 1155 socket Mobo which is pretty lackluster at the moment.

An i5-2500k is the same as the i7-2600k except it doesn't have hyper threading. (useless for gaming). It runs about 100$ cheaper than an i7-950/2600k. Though it runs on 1155 socket mobo which like I said is pretty lackluster. It also runs dual channel DDR3 instead of triple. The amount of performance lost/gained is up for debate.

You save money on the processor, but your mobo limits the amount of expansion you can do, and limits you to dual channel memory.

If you're fine with running 1-2 GPU's, and dual channel memory then Sandybridge is the way to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-072-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-463-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-303-_-Product

That's all you'd have to change to go with an i5-2500k
    Much rather buy 1 good GPU anyway over SLI/CF. Microstuttering is a bitch once you start noticing it. Also, Triple channel vs Dual channel memory has pretty much no effect on your day to day normal computer use. Anyways, since OP doesn't even know how to OC, I doubt he's running a triple / Quad SLI configurations anyway.

@ OP

You won't need as many fans if you go for Sandy Bridge (2500K / 2600K). They run much cooler than old i7's. And because of that, they also tend to run more silently.

I just installed my 2600K set yesterday. ASUS P8P67 EVO mobo, i7-2600K cpu, and 2x4gb 1333mhz DDR3. Everything is working perfectly and I'm just amazed how easily I could overclock the thing to 4.2Ghz (which is actually still kinda low for 2600K). But I wanted a nice balance of power and noise/heat so I'm cool with that. Could propably hit like 4,8Ghz with slight voltage increase.

Oh yea, and it has better clocks than i7-950 even without overclocking so... whatever floats your boat. I just don't see why would you want to buy last gen i7 when you could get better for same cash

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Much rather buy 1 good GPU anyway over SLI/CF. Microstuttering is a bitch once you start noticing it. Also, Triple channel vs Dual channel memory has pretty much no effect on your day to day normal computer use. Anyways, since OP doesn't even know how to OC, I doubt he's running a triple / Quad SLI configurations anyway.

@ OP

You won't need as many fans if you go for Sandy Bridge (2500K / 2600K). They run much cooler than old i7's. And because of that, they also tend to run more silently.

I just installed my 2600K set yesterday. ASUS P8P67 EVO mobo, i7-2600K cpu, and 2x4gb 1333mhz DDR3. Everything is working perfectly and I'm just amazed how easily I could overclock the thing to 4.2Ghz (which is actually still kinda low for 2600K). But I wanted a nice balance of power and noise/heat so I'm cool with that. Could propably hit like 4,8Ghz with slight voltage increase.

Oh yea, and it has better clocks than i7-950 even without overclocking so... whatever floats your boat. I just don't see why would you want to buy last gen i7 when you could get better for same cash
    I'll look at it in the morning as im too tired to change it agian. But thank you very much and goodnight MMO-Champion Forums.
    Hail Lord Bjor!

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    There's more than just gaming you can do with GPU's. I know folding is a very popular thing to do and those require heavy usage of your GPU's.

As far as double/triple, there is some noticeable differences, but when it comes down to gaming you really can't tell.
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block