Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Disc Priest Raiding [DPS]

Okay so I am in a little rut here for some reason...Hopefully my fellow priests can assist me.

So my guild has started 25 mans as of Tuesday. We did good got 5 down the first night and another 3 tonight so far. Well....I am disc this is where the problem is going to come in.

As we all know Disc is pretty much *bent over* and given the bad rod where the sun dont shine with this expansion so far. Well since our shields absorb for crap and our output is nowhere near paladins or druid or well ANY other healing class it is pretty much useless to bring us once again.

Well....I was told I would get to raid but I found out I was going to DPS...Not as shadow but as Disc. Now I am sure a bunch of you have heard the Disc Priest DPS heals so far. Well I will say they are pretty nice 14-56k heals with a smite is pretty nice but I am constantly told I need to raid my dps. I was told I need to be up in the 10k-15k range as a Disc priest and I have yet to find someone who is up there. I think it achievable but I just cant find anything on it. I wanted to see what my priest community could or would have to say on the matter.

I know I have healed from beta up to cata. And this is a entirely new frontier for me. I am not sure what I need to do but if you have any suggestions it would be great.

Also, I was told I cannot heal in Holy because they need my CDs. So I need to find a way to contribute more to my guild than just being last on DPS / Healing meters now. I have included a WoL for you. Looka t Tuesday 11 and Wednesday 12 as I was DPS for both.

Any help you could give would be great please
    Last edited by breseis; 2011-01-13 at 05:02 AM.

A long time ago I created a max smite DPS rotation. I could spend some time tomorrow to figure this out again for cata, though I'm not certain if this is the best use of your abilities as Disc.

You are correct... The guild sees disc not as viable in healing much anymore and would rather me smite heal DPS

The rotation ive been using is kind of wierd....

See they dont want me to use anything other than smite and my dots...

Ive got both smite glyphs and have 0 hit

If you would like you could look my character up on armory....
    Last edited by breseis; 2011-01-13 at 05:02 AM.

We use

Holy Priest x1
    Holy Paladin x3
    Rest Druid x1
    Resto Shaman x2

you should probably find a new guild
    the most useful thing disc brings is pwBarrier as a cd and PoH spam.

PoH is getting nerfed as well next patch

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I smite heal through heroic trash in 5 mans.Frankly the damage and healing isnt that impressive, just enough to get by. I could never see this as a viable dps spec. You do shit heals and shit dps, much better off with a more dedicated role imo.

Hmmmm I dont know I may try to see what can be done maybe go holy or be asked to be a MT healer or something. Just seems disc got the shaft entirely due to guilds exploiting the shielding crap in WTLK

Quote Originally Posted by breseis View Post
    As we all know Disc is pretty much *bent over* and given the bad rod where the sun dont shine with this expansion so far. Well since our shields absorb for crap and our output is nowhere near paladins or druid or well ANY other healing class it is pretty much useless to bring us once again.

Disc Heals are quite strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    next patch is gonna fix this dps thing prob, shields effectiveness are getting doubled. along with a bunch more buffs

Not when you compare them to paladins , holy priests, rest druids, shamans..... I would love to see a disc priest on top once again.....but i havent

TBH that is a crazy amount of overkill on healing and x3 paladin isn't ideal.

I'll do the math anyways b/c I'm curious, and I doubt anyone else has.

Thank you Spiritus that would be great. I am just in a rut now. I dont know what to do. I want to heal I enjoy healing and have been doing so for 6 years but honestly....I feel useless right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have an odd RL or whoever is giving you orders. Disc is indeed viable to heal. It is not a viable dps spec, however.

Not when you compare them to paladins , holy priests, rest druids, shamans..... I would love to see a disc priest on top once again.....but i havent
    So don't compare then to the other healers. This when sites like WoL can be detrimental when people start interrupting it as gospel. "If you aren't in the top 20 heals then you're garbage!" You're not always going to be the strongest healer. Thankfully that's not necessary to be successful.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2011-01-13 at 05:20 AM.

Well, I know disc is good for healing 5 mans it is how I leveled and did heroics. But I think right now with absorbs the way they are the guild is thinking its not as viable as having a holy paladin in. The Holy paladins do almost the same amount of absorbs now apparently.

Well, I know disc is good for healing 5 mans it is how I leveled and did heroics. But I think right now with absorbs the way they are the guild is thinking its not as viable as having a holy paladin in. The Holy paladins do almost the same amount of absorbs now apparently.
    Probably because Paladins are overtuned.

I know like horribly. Just feeling useless in raids is getting to me. I mean its nice to be able to sit back and dps for once and see what it is like but the fact that im not being too viable except for on fights where the melee and tank dont move just gets to me

You are correct... The guild sees disc not as viable in healing much anymore and would rather me smite heal DPS
    I don't have any issues at all keeping up with the Resto Shamans and Holy Pallies in my guild as Disc, not sure why they would think you are not viable.
    Chimeron i was slightly behind, but the shields are amazing at certain times