Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Lol.. Read this...

    http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/308...-next-warcraft

    Even yahoo thinks these MMOs are the next WoW killers.

  2. #2
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,027
    GW and WH40k....

    Oh yeah, I remember those, they're trying that again?

    Good for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

  3. #3
    yahoo much like many game review sites gets paid to write positive reviews about products.

    nobody is going to want to visit a site that says "Check out these 3 terrible games that nobody is going to play a year after release" and no company is going to offer their product to a site that does that.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Calzaeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kopervik, Norway
    Posts
    3,238
    Have you... READ the article?

    They say that these games have the potential to kill WoW, but if you also read the "Why it probably won't" about each game, Yahoo states clearly that the chances are slim of any of these games actually killing WoW.

    Basic reading comprehension is advised if you want to link articles, mate
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

  5. #5
    I doubt they'll kill WoW, they'll certainly subvert customers from WoW but it takes a lot to kill since we're fairly spoiled and expect an mmo to execute things perfectly right at launch. Nice article though.

  6. #6
    1) This was said about Age of Conan, Warhammer: AoR, and Aion. Look how those turned out.

    2) No singular game is going to kill WoW. The only way that WoW will die is if Blizzard itself makes a massive amount of stupid mistakes (ie: Anyone can roll Jedi ala SWG).

    As much fun as it is to speculate, DC Universe is too early to tell, and the others are still deep in development, or in the case of SWTOR, in a heavily enforced NDA Alpha (guess here, I don't actually know where they are in testing).

    EDIT: And why you would put any sort of credibility in the Yahoo community (especially given what's going on in the comments for that article) is beyond me.
    Last edited by Remnas; 2011-01-13 at 06:06 AM.
    "Imagine coming across a mentally disabled person who was not only drunk, high, but had a full frontal lobotomy leaving little to no intelligence left in their body.

    He would be NORMAL, compared to me."

  7. #7
    Well, i gotta say that Dark millenium looks awesome so far, and i've been waiting a long time for a 40k mmo to come out. too sad it wont be released till 2012. but it's going to be freaking awesome!

  8. #8
    Rule of a thumb: Questions that you must ask yourself before posting on these forums:

    "Is the game made by Blizzard?"

    If the answers of that question is "Yes", then it's safe to post.

    Then: "Is the game an MMO?"

    If the answer to that question is "No", it is also safe to post regardless of the above.

    If they on the contrary are both opposite to the "safe post" requirements, you should refrain from posting as your thread will be flooded with people who disagree with you, and as someone, namely you, is wrong on the internet they will spend hours upon hours lecturing you about how bad you are for not thinking the way they do.

    Get a grip people, just because no new MMO that came after WoW has been able to beat WoW, it doesn't mean that the latest, and very promising, batch of games won't. Times change, deal with it. Either they will fail horribly like the rest or they won't, no use having preconceptions about everything not made by Blizzard.
    Last edited by vanin; 2011-01-14 at 11:08 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    Rule of a thumb: Questions that you must ask yourself before posting on these forums:

    "Is the game made by Blizzard?"

    If the answers of that question is "Yes", then it's safe to post.

    Then: "Is the game an MMO?"

    If the answer to that question is "No", it is also safe to post regardless of the above.

    If they on the contrary are both opposite to the "safe post" requirements, you should refrain from posting as your thread will be flooded with people who disagree with you, and as someone, namely you, is wrong on the internet they will spend hours upon hours lecturing you about how bad you are for not thinking the way they do.

    Get a grip people, just because no new MMO that came after WoW has been able to beat WoW, it doesn't mean that the latest, and very promising, batch of games won't. Times change, deal with it. Either they will fail horribly like the rest or they won't, no use having preconceptions about everything not made by Blizzard.
    Not to mention that I think there's an ever increasing feeling of 'meh' towards WoW. Not hatred, not seething anger, not 'WOW SUCKS!!! OMFG!'.. more like.. meh. WoW lost is WOW factor quite some time ago and it's just not aging well and people are looking for someone else to step up to the plate.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-14 at 03:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Have you... READ the article?

    They say that these games have the potential to kill WoW, but if you also read the "Why it probably won't" about each game, Yahoo states clearly that the chances are slim of any of these games actually killing WoW.

    Basic reading comprehension is advised if you want to link articles, mate
    It's also a horribly bias article that doesnt even talk about all the games coming out this year. Just because someone puts it on the web doesnt make it true, or even well written. It's not actually written by some all knowing entity named 'Yahoo', it's written by some guy named Ryan Greene.
    Last edited by achaeon; 2011-01-14 at 03:19 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungtah View Post
    GW and WH40k....

    Oh yeah, I remember those, they're trying that again?

    Good for them.
    And when's Aion 2.0 comming out? Maybe this time it will kill WoW and won't have to close down half servers after tthree months.

  11. #11
    Guild wars 2 is shaping up very nice and varied, i'll be switching over especially since its one of pay

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Have you... READ the article?

    They say that these games have the potential to kill WoW, but if you also read the "Why it probably won't" about each game, Yahoo states clearly that the chances are slim of any of these games actually killing WoW.

    Basic reading comprehension is advised if you want to link articles, mate
    ^ My thoughts after reading the article.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungtah View Post
    GW and WH40k....

    Oh yeah, I remember those, they're trying that again?

    Good for them.
    WH40k is a completely different IP from Warhammer online, and being developed by a completely different company.

    Also, last I checked GW1 was and still is extremely successful and viable, introducing a revolutionary subscription free business model without pushing cheesey mandatory cash shop purchases

  14. #14
    The only game that will actually be a competitor with WoW is SWTOR. Note: Not kill, but both equally competing in the market. Warhammer 40k isn't coming out until like 2014, and neither is Titan, and that won't even compete because that will attract the FPS fanbase.

  15. #15
    well im sure that gw 2 gonna kill wow, IF they change the comunity (last night i was playing GW1 "fail monk, nooob! etc etc without i even had moved in a pvp fight.. wasent started yet even..) but yeah, IF they change the comunity..
    My SoundCloud.
    Take a look and comment!

  16. #16
    "Star Wars: The Old Republic

    Why it might kill Warcraft: With the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, Bioware has earned its RPG cred, and they've already done Star Wars right with Knights of the Old Republic. Plus, rumor has it that Electronic Arts is pumping unprecedented levels of cash in SWTOR's production."

    WTF. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are the worst games that BioWare have made. SW:KOTOR, Baldurs Gate are so, so much better. This website has zero credibility.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by An1lusion View Post
    "Star Wars: The Old Republic

    Why it might kill Warcraft: With the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, Bioware has earned its RPG cred, and they've already done Star Wars right with Knights of the Old Republic. Plus, rumor has it that Electronic Arts is pumping unprecedented levels of cash in SWTOR's production."

    WTF. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are the worst games that BioWare have made. SW:KOTOR, Baldurs Gate are so, so much better. This website has zero credibility.
    Uh.. no. Jade Empire isn't as good as Mass Effect or DA. Mass Effect 2 was the best game last year. Bioware has never made a bad game. They are like the Pixar of gaming. Jade Empire = Cars. Not bad, but not their best.

  18. #18
    Warchief Sarcasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,053
    Anyone who thinks that the most successful MMO of all time (which currently holds the first, second, and third places for fastest selling game of all time) is just going to "die" is seriously deluded. WoW's success lies heavily on Blizzard inspecting other games and saying "I saw what you did there" and adding or improving a feature that another MMO might have that's better than theirs. The only thing that will ever kill WoW is Blizzard themselves.

    EDIT: That's also the reason I get massively annoyed at people who go on about other MMOs being "WoW clones". WoW itself is a clone of MMOs before it, Blizzard just took out all the shit bits and made MMOs appealing.
    Last edited by Sarcasm; 2011-01-15 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

  19. #19
    What will kill wow will be a combination of things. No one game will be able to do it single handed, there will have to be 2 good mmo games that come out around the same time (year or 2 a part from each other) in conjunction with blizzard running out of viable stories and lore to put in themsleves. 12 million subscribers are not going to just up and leave blizzard for one game right away.

  20. #20
    Brewmaster Stixxz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,400
    Find it funny how people are posting about possible WoW killers. People are still going to be playing WoW even if there is a better game than it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •