Moonkins in PVP/Arena

I have not posted on here before. I'd like to take a minute and go over what I believe to be an oversight. Moonkins as a class to me must be under represented. Furthermore I believe that the people that do represent moonkins dont do it in a arena setting. That being said my main toon is a Druid on rexxar. MS I play moonkin. Coming into cata I was really excited about playing moonkin in pvp/arena. Alas my hopes and dreams of getting gladiator as moonkin are coming to a close. I believe my class will actually be unplayable.

I am going to be using some references from 3v3 and BG's for different pvp standpoints

Surviability- moonkins worst and more prominent issue In my opinion. Moonkin for the longest time have had to kite opponents around using tactics as Natures grasp and instant root (glyphed)-getting nerfed. The instant root glyph was our bread and butter and only way of getting a mele off of us. Typhoon just does a push back and warriors and dk's along with rogues were right back in your face. You use barkskin which is a 20% damage reduction but a joke consiidering other classes def cd's. IE bubble, disbursion, ice block, cloak/vanish, deterence.

I understand that most believe that part of our survivability comes thru self-heals or shapeshifting out of slow/root abilities- that is and was a help but didn't justify a def cd' to moonkins, as most of us know if we ever get caught in caster form while self healing its game over. Especially considering we have no way to peel mele off of us.

I really want to be able to play my class and have a legitimate shot at obtaining a gladiator title. I dont want this to be considered a QQ thread. I would like this to shed some light on a spot that I believe to be a under represented class.

If the presented changes go thru with the instant root going, natures graps 8sec cd, entangling roots 8sec cd, shapeshifting changes, moonkin will not have the tools to be viable in arena.

Rated BG's are another story I believe we have a shot at earning a spot in Rated Bg's and a 5's comp in arena, the only reason I believe we would get chose in those two areas is our ability to cast starfall. I believe that some are under the assumption that starfall just outright kills people but let me be the first to correct you on this. Starfall does great damage but it isn't overpowering by any means especially considering the healthpools in cata, and shadows what could be of our class.

I would really like someone from blizzard to be able to see my thread and dont exactly know where to post it, so I chose here as I read most of the Blue posts.

I appreciate your time and hope others can respond with constructive critism and hopefully someone can take what I have spent time in bringing up seriously

Treefyre-Druid-Rexxar-Alliance

I would also like to add that as of right now I am running 3pc/2pc and have around 3600resilience so I know its not for lack of gear.

Oh yes I almost forgot Wild Mushroom-Thanks! Yes this was meant to be sarcastic as this truely is the worst idea ever. The only mean thing, but I just had too sorry in advance.
    Last edited by Treefyre; 2011-01-13 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play restoration, always have and I thought this change would just nullify me versus mages, seeing our only proper heavy heal is a 2,30~ cast with enough haste. However, this change to balance will be like pulling the wings off of a fly. I fully understand your concern.

this upsets me greatly.

i played my druid about 4 years and i finally get glad title, and when i saw this <Shapeshifts: Entering or leaving a shapeshift no longer cancels root effects. It continues to cancel movement slowing effects.> i wanna tell you:
    -moonkin now is playeble class, but no shapeshift... ok say hallo enh shaman, froz mages...it will be looks like sitting on moonkin, Typhoon , barskin, shrooms, bear , dead... i think 10-15 seconds will be enough for enh war clieve...ok lets see another setap: rogue mage + heal ---roots are no instant, hello rogue what we have here Garrote kidny nova fuck ea i could push button like barskin and typhoon, o no fucking Counterspell , deepfreeze bomb(kicking are coming)---
    - no def abillity, no survival , we could not casting (kick grounding counterspell charge spellreflect and atc)
    well i dont wanna play moonking any more, it is disgusting. problem was feral not moonkin...anyway thank you for fun time but its really gg... and i dont know what to do because you are killing all fun to play druid, class is dead for pvp

At the end of wraith I was really excited with the addition of starsurge and thought that the shooting stars proc helped us with being able to hit on the move. I think blizzard is pushing too hard for us to just spam moonfire. I am not to sure why they promote the spamming of moonfire and dont help the cast times of wraith and starfire. Seems to me that in arena if any One class is on you it is impossible to fire off a wraith, and starfire lets face it isn't going to happen which makes our 4pc a joke as well.

Yeah i think we didnt have that big of a survivability issue in wrath because we healed so efficiently, but with the healer nerfs not only is it insanely hard to heal ourselves, but when we actually do, we use all of our mana and we cant dps.

And then when we cant heal we turn to barkskin. LOL BARKSKIN.

I agree with you, barkskin to me really is a joke, it would be outstanding if we could spec into improved barkskin in the balance tree and it had some benefitial stat sure could use up that useless space that the mushroom/treant die buff spot takes up for sure.

As of live, the only thing that justifies Seal of Justice is that it is actually possible (but very hard due to nature's grasp, cyclone and roots) to catch a well playing resto druid, where with a normal slow, the druid can just shapeshift out of the slow. With these changes, seal of justice just lost it's point.
    However, I feel bad for you druids. Played druid for a long time myself, mainly as balance, and I have to say this sucks for you. However, resto druids will undoubtably keep being very well represented, and for a reason.

Dear Blizz,

I would like to say you continue beating druids down with the nerf bat when they are not even OP after you already nerfed the ferl. I play as resto in arena/BG and have done so since this game first came out and now i continue to see you beat us in the face with a nerf bat. You have buffed druids slightly im PVE making wild growth better and rejuv cheaper and O YA making the most worthless spell in the game (Wild Mushroom) what it should have been since cata first came out. But as far as PVP goes you are slowly destroying the idea of having druids in arena all together. GOOD BYE ferals you are all gone, still good bye boomkin you have never been existant in arena at higher ratings, and pretty much good bye resto i ahve played as you since this game came out but our time together is coming to a end fast. If it is not just me who feels this way please post about this. If it is just me then well i guess im QQ LOL.

I understand resto druids were over the top, but can they address the resto class specifically without making moonkin unplayable? I believe that if moonkins were to keep instant root, and get a barkskin buffer we would be a little more stable in the upcoming patch, other than that from what I've seen on AJ and here, and know of the class we will not be playable in the upcoming patch striclty pvp speaking.

what bothers me the most is they take our ability to cast instant roots, but then they take away our ability to break roots,.... isn't our pvp design to be a kiter (boomkins)?

I am not really sure which way blizzard it moving with moonkins, to me it seems as though they want us to just MF/IS targets starsurge/starfall on CD and try and seperate from your opponent but I'll be the first to point out that entangling roots doensn't do its job typhoons cd is way to long to be an effective peel, and mele classes have too much range I.E> deathgrip, shadowstep, charge. We dont have the tools and are not setup to take any sort of punishment, I drop faster than a clothy sitting at 3600resilience with barkskin up, is this design intent? for me to shapeshift and run away which might I add is severely gimped now and when I do shapeshift to creat space I am just a sight for sore eyes on any caster.

There's a few posts that are using some weird tactics. Like using slow casting heal spells, or just entangle roots to prevent melee attacks. Not much about how you can rotate between roots and cyclone to reduce diminishing returns, or shape shifting to gain distances after a root or cyclone, or using typhoon as a way to blow someone's cooldown on a distance closer, going cat form and sprinting, or bear form (damage reduction) and bashing, or using the new stampeding roars to move faster.

While there are probably some concerns for boomers I can't help but feel there's a descent portion of folks not utilizing all their tools.

Just watched a video I uploaded of myself playing Boomkin in 2's, entangling roots is used on CD the entire thing, and every single win would not have been possible without Instant Entangling Roots (+Solar Beam). Powershifting is also the only way to stay up as a Boomkin... this change is rediculous.

Levelling a Frost Mage now though, that way I can be flavour of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    Just watched a video I uploaded of myself playing Boomkin in 2's, entangling roots is used on CD the entire thing, and every single win would not have been possible without Instant Entangling Roots (+Solar Beam). Powershifting is also the only way to stay up as a Boomkin... this change is rediculous.

Levelling a Frost Mage now though, that way I can be flavour of the century.
    Hopefully we dont have to change classes, I think every spec should be close to be viable in pvp/arena and from what I've seen moonkins better start praying!

Already started levelin my frost mage, things are going to get much worse before they get any better.
    I have to say even leveling is much easier as a mage (way easier).

Quote Originally Posted by rages View Post
    Already started levelin my frost mage, things are going to get much worse before they get any better.
    I have to say even leveling is much easier as a mage (way easier).
    Me too.
    With the current patch im good in Battlegrounds (i only do arena for conquest), but withtout instant roots and nerf-shaptershifiting i cant do 50% of what i do now.

English isnt my first language.

well said Treefyre, I feel the same way.

moonkin's are hella squishy right now, i do think they need a buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Derotide View Post
    moonkin's are hella squishy right now, i do think they need a buff.

Smmed up best and qft