Page 1 of 17
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why proper grammar is important.

    I know a lot of people don't care about proper grammar (in their native language no less). You have to understand though, you sound ridiculous when you spell things improperly, use/don't use proper punctuation, or spl like ur txting. But if you could actually hear what it sounds like, you'd sound like this...



    "lololol w/e, this isnt english class, lolz"

    This is what you sound like in my head.
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-15 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Updated for Imnicks redirect of a much better example
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  2. #2
    Thy threat is interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Why would it be wrong to kill a human being?
    Quote Originally Posted by fanjodaman View Post
    You have a tiny brain. There's you're insult.
    Pateu's postulate: '' As an online discussion about RPGs or sci fi grows longer, the probability of a comparison or bashing involving Mass Effect 3 approaches 1. ''

  3. #3
    Brewmaster Rukah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,293
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

    Helping your uncle jack off a horse

    and

    Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

    Helping your uncle jack off a horse

    and

    Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.

    lol...that sir, is quality!

  5. #5
    Proper grammar is important when writing something formal.

    On a forum or in a game you are just being ignorant if you don't manage to read or don't want to read something with bad grammar.

    The example of "helping uncle jack off a horse" and "helping uncle Jack, off a horse" is a good example, but how often do you use that anyway?

  6. #6
    Let's eat grandpa!

    -or-

    Let's eat, grandpa!

    It can also save lives

    I guess it's just unfortunate that I read things literally, as with the video example. In my head I read it with all the mistakes. Spelling like you're texting is a big pet peeve though. I can understand when you're texting, but when you have a keyboard in front of you, that's just lazy.
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-13 at 09:31 AM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  7. #7
    The Patient Slashnox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

    Helping your uncle jack off a horse

    and

    Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    Hahahahaha

  8. #8
    I have to write in proper grammar in everything except IM in steam. It's just something that bugs me. I don't know why, just have too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    "Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

  9. #9
    You're tie makes it seem as if your on a important trip.

    ^ Massacred sentence! ^

  10. #10
    I think this is a better example, it is a flash animator reading a review of one of his games out loud:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/558516

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,851
    Whinging about grammar is essentially complaining that you learned things one way, and now, the nasty children have overturned it all and created a different way of doing it with which you are not familiar and therefore feel annoyed and threatened.

    As long as the individual's communication is clear — and perhaps we're just different people, but even stuff like l33t5p34k and txtng abrv is perfectly clear to me after a short period of observation to learn the rules and format — I don't see the point of throwing a fit about it. Even "improper" systems still have an underlying set of rules that can be violated, as is the esoteric nature of language.

    Language, and the methods of expressing it, change and evolve all the time. It's one of the most fundamental and fluid aspects of humanity, and attempts to rigidly standardize it constantly erode and change over time and with each generation. "Proper" grammar really means "prescriptive" grammar; that is, "Do things the way we tell you to, because... well, just because, damn it."

    To each their own, but I don't see the big deal. In fact, I think it's silly. Let communication evolve — it always does, and it will without your approval anyway.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    Proper grammar is important when writing something formal.

    On a forum or in a game you are just being ignorant if you don't manage to read or don't want to read something with bad grammar.

    The example of "helping uncle jack off a horse" and "helping uncle Jack, off a horse" is a good example, but how often do you use that anyway?
    I use this example everyday!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

    Helping your uncle jack off a horse

    and

    Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    I laughed with that! Well said mate

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-13 at 07:43 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Whinging about grammar is essentially complaining that you learned things one way, and now, the nasty children have overturned it all and created a different way of doing it with which you are not familiar and therefore feel annoyed and threatened.

    As long as the individual's communication is clear — and perhaps we're just different people, but even stuff like l33t5p34k and txtng abrv is perfectly clear to me after a short period of observation to learn the rules and format — I don't see the point of throwing a fit about it. Even "improper" systems still have an underlying set of rules that can be violated, as is the esoteric nature of language.

    Language, and the methods of expressing it, change and evolve all the time. It's one of the most fundamental and fluid aspects of humanity, and attempts to rigidly standardize it constantly erode and change over time and with each generation. "Proper" grammar really means "prescriptive" grammar; that is, "Do things the way we tell you to, because... well, just because, damn it."

    To each their own, but I don't see the big deal. In fact, I think it's silly. Let communication evolve — it always does, and it will without your approval anyway.
    Thing is , that kind of language (I R pR0 XDAD 13e7) can hardly be called "evolution" o.O
    Last edited by Meonerg; 2011-01-13 at 07:44 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Learn from the best! FIGHT THE POWER!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

    Helping your uncle jack off a horse

    and

    Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    I was going to post that

  15. #15
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,082
    I feel as tho people who need to correct grammar always need to feel as they are better than everyone else. If it is understandable what is the problem?

  16. #16
    How about you all stop thinking the world rotates around the USA and figure out a lot of ppl (like myself) on these forums don't speak English as their first language. Actually the non-english speakers who come in here and post/read these forums have an upper hand on yourself. How many of you could go into a French or Spanish forum and contribute? Thats what I thought...
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

    Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

    -Huainy

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I think this is a better example, it is a flash animator reading a review of one of his games out loud:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/558516
    That was great, see this guy gets it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    As long as the individual's communication is clear — and perhaps we're just different people, but even stuff like l33t5p34k and txtng abrv is perfectly clear to me after a short period of observation to learn the rules and format — I don't see the point of throwing a fit about it. Even "improper" systems still have an underlying set of rules that can be violated, as is the esoteric nature of language...

    ...To each their own, but I don't see the big deal. In fact, I think it's silly. Let communication evolve — it always does, and it will without your approval anyway.
    I... don't even know where to begin. You seem like you could tell the difference between "evolving" a language and this steady course of de-evolving. Maybe not, you seem like the type of person that hears a few big words and like to throw them into a forum post, and play devil's advocate no matter what the OP was. There has been a steady devolution in most aspects of society for the past few decades now, and this is a prime example. Just because there's certain aspects of society that are emergent, doesn't mean we should just view it as "the way it goes". Language, Communication, and the rest, was one of the aspects of how we evolved as a species. Saying "l2speak lik evry1 else, nub" and other forms of backward thinking is quite frankly a slap in the face of evolutionary progression.

    You can tell a lot by what someone posts, generally. I can see you like to throw out a bunch of words you may have seen on an online documentary somewhere, but, "as is the esoteric nature of language". This statement makes absolutely no sense. You're basically saying a small group of people understand and control language, or that it's difficult to understand. Much like your entire post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice View Post
    How about you all stop thinking the world rotates around the USA and figure out a lot of ppl (like myself) on these forums don't speak English as their first language. Actually the non-english speakers who come in here and post/read these forums have an upper hand on yourself. How many of you could go into a French or Spanish forum and contribute? Thats what I thought...
    Calm down, before you have an aneurysm. I did state in the OP I was referring to people who post in their native language. Someone obviously just has a hate-on for the USA (I am not American, by the way).
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-13 at 11:09 PM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  18. #18
    Herald of the Titans Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Steavz View Post
    Maybe not, you seem like the type of person that hears a few big words and like to throw them into a forum post, and play devil's advocate no matter what the OP was.
    Has nothing to do with my argument and no basis in fact. Grammar whingers are, in fact, a huge pet peeve of mine and I always comment on the topic when it comes up.

    There has been a steady devolution in most aspects of society for the past few decades now, and this is a prime example.
    I see no evidence of this and it's not true simply because you say so. Society is changing, yes. Standards are changing, yes. I'm not even sure which society you're specifically referring to, since all of them are different, some in larger ways than others. Humanity as a whole seems to me to be getting better all the time, as well as our position in the world.

    Just because there's certain aspects of society that are emergent, doesn't mean we should just view it as "the way it goes". Language, Communication, and the rest, was one of the aspects of how we evolved as a species. Saying "l2speak lik evry1 else, nub" and other forms of backward thinking is quite frankly a slap in the face of evolutionary progression.
    No, it really isn't. It's just a new writing system that communicates exactly the same ideas as ever, with exactly the same amount of intelligence. Historically, writing systems have come and gone all the time. It certainly is not a "slap in the face" of evolution (huh? what does that even mean?), nor is it "backwards thinking" — in fact, it's quite creative, demonstrating the ability of the human mind to make new connections (using the sound of numbers to phonetically shorten words given a limited number of symbols available and limited time to type them).

    You can tell a lot by what someone posts, generally. I can see you like to throw out a bunch of words you may have seen on an online documentary somewhere, but, "as is the esoteric nature of language". This statement makes absolutely no sense. You're basically saying a small group of people understand and control language, or that it's difficult to understand. Much like your entire post.
    Esoteric: Having to do with concepts that are highly theoretical and without obvious practical application; cerebral.

    In other words, language, no matter where it occurs or how it changes, tends to function along the lines of certain ground rules that don't change, or at the very least, is always systematized — often intuitively. That even abbreviated texting slang still develops a specific ruleset in short order which everyone then intuitively follows is an example of this esoteric (abstract, theroetical, not consciously observed by the layman) quality.

    I see lots of unnecessary and arrogant personal attacks here about the words I choose to use and the way I post, but very little substance refuting or even commenting on what I actually said other than to say, essentially, "No! You're wrong and I'm right and this stuff is bad". I'm sorry it upsets you, but I disagree with you and feel my position is valid and sound.

    It seems to me (and I am willing to be corrected) that you're overreacting heavily to changes in communication just to have something to complain about, because it makes you feel smarter and superior. But I don't see a lot of practical justification for what you're feeling and arguing.

  19. #19
    Mechagnome Berteh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Sticks, Australia
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

    Helping your uncle jack off a horse

    and

    Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    Lolz epic laffs

  20. #20
    The English language is not evolving. It is degrading and within 100 years no one will be capable of reading. I pity those who think Shakespeare is difficult now.
    Keep The Beats!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •