Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Dreadlord lol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bored in Orgrimmar.
    Posts
    835
    Haha, good for a laugh.

    On a serious note, grammar is important in formal situations, like if you want to be taken seriously as a raid leader, battleleader, or are filling out a high-end guild's application.

    Otherwise bad grammar doesn't really bother me like it does some people... However if someone uses the wrong "Their, there" or "to, too" it does kinda annoy me, but I hold my tongue.

  2. #22
    Seems to be much deflection, projection and digressing going on in this thread. OP was about how ridiculous very improper grammar would sound if dictated. Has nothing to do with "Grammar whinging", or being a "Grammar Nazi" or whatever you want to call it. But if someone actually spoke aloud the some of the terrible grammar that is in posts, it would sound silly to anyone. Maybe I have an issue by reading it literally, but I believe Imnick hit the nail on the head with his example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I think this is a better example, it is a flash animator reading a review of one of his games out loud:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/558516
    This is exactly what I meant, not to feel superior or anything else. I could understand when theres a thread on a specific topic and someone barges in with their grammar policing without contributing anything constructive. I'll agree, I'd take every word spelled wrong in a reply if it was between helpful and not. But, this thread in particular is about how I find it lazy. If you found offense in the OP, then that means I'm talking about you then I guess. But if you really think that this is the way things should go, and if actually makes sense in a way, Im not looking forward to the day when I pick up a Newspaper and the Headline reads "Nubs Howse Burnd, sry M8"
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-14 at 06:10 AM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  3. #23
    @Steavz - 100% correct. I dread the day that newspapers survive long enough to print that headline. People have gotten extremely lazy. Wut si litterassy?
    Keep The Beats!

  4. #24
    Agreed 100% - The sad part is that most of the people who "defend" the degradation of the English language on these forums are, more than likely, incapable of proper grammar or syntax themselves. The default excuse is often that "in a video game or a forum, no one needs to spell correctly, or add proper punctuation to their sentences because...it's a video game or a forum". The truth, whether the self-aggrandizing idiots wish to believe it or not, is that 9 times out of 10, the inproper grammar we find so rampant in these outlets is due to a lack of education. One thing I've found is that games like WoW attract two predominant social castes - the highly intelligent few and the sad, going-nowhere-in-life majority - the latter of which couldn't write a resume even if it meant getting out of their parents house and making something of themselves.

    And, OP, your avatar makes me happy and sad simultaneously....RIP Bill Hicks :\

  5. #25
    "Let's eat Grandpa!"
    "Let's eat, Grandpa!"

    Punctuation: It saves lives.

  6. #26
    The Lightbringer Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,063
    Fair enough, and I do concede your point that my response was a bit of a divergence, based on the critical tone of your OP. I have a tendency to hair-trigger on this issue because it's a huge pet peeve of mine, because I've see truly intelligent people cut down and ridiculed for simply expressing themselves in unconventional ways, who then think they're stupid and give up.

    But I certainly wasn't intending to crap up your thread (if it's seen that way) — only contribute to it with an alternate viewpoint. So while I stand by my views, I do apologize for any inappropriate derailment which I may have instigated, and I'll back off here.

    Alright, except this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yewdye View Post
    One thing I've found is that games like WoW attract two predominant social castes - the highly intelligent few and the sad, going-nowhere-in-life majority - the latter of which couldn't write a resume even if it meant getting out of their parents house and making something of themselves.
    That's quite arrogant. Intelligence and success are only tangentially related... many very intelligent people play the game precisely because it compensates for their IRL social insecurities or phobias, and many intelligent but unmotivated individuals are browsing and playing from couches and basements. Likewise, "unintelligent" (which really means uneducated in most cases, since I believe truly unintelligent humans are few and far between) individuals often do have jobs and social lives. And yes, I'm talking about this in terms of WoW and these supposed "castes".
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2011-01-14 at 06:22 AM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Yewdye View Post
    Agreed 100% - The sad part is that most of the people who "defend" the degradation of the English language on these forums are, more than likely, incapable of proper grammar or syntax themselves. The default excuse is often that "in a video game or a forum, no one needs to spell correctly, or add proper punctuation to their sentences because...it's a video game or a forum". The truth, whether the self-aggrandizing idiots wish to believe it or not, is that 9 times out of 10, the inproper grammar we find so rampant in these outlets is due to a lack of education. One thing I've found is that games like WoW attract two predominant social castes - the highly intelligent few and the sad, going-nowhere-in-life majority - the latter of which couldn't write a resume even if it meant getting out of their parents house and making something of themselves.

    And, OP, your avatar makes me happy and sad simultaneously....RIP Bill Hicks :\
    You win! Someone who can express my disdain.
    Keep The Beats!

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    On a forum or in a game you are just being ignorant if you don't manage to read or don't want to read something with bad grammar.
    Ignorant? Silly me, and all this time I've been calling it 'having standards'.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I think this is a better example, it is a flash animator reading a review of one of his games out loud:
    That was amazing. I laughed till it hurt

  10. #30
    The delightful irony in this is that the OP used a full stop incorrectly after the title.

  11. #31
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,542
    Lets eat, Grandma
    and
    Lets eat Grandma.

    2 different things all together.

    EDIT: Damn someone beat me to it

  12. #32
    http://www.somethingawful.com/flash/shmorky/babby.swf is another good example of idiocy.
    Keep The Beats!

  13. #33
    I agree on most stuff you should, but starting to flame on people who just don't know how to spell or do the perfect grammer (I'm one of them) it's pretty insulting.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I agree on most stuff you should, but starting to flame on people who just don't know how to spell or do the perfect grammer (I'm one of them) it's pretty insulting.
    It's fun to insult people who only know English.
    Keep The Beats!

  15. #35
    Look - the simple fact is that grammar is good for writing out essays or CVs or something like that - but when used online for a casual thing like forum posting or game playing - then who cares? as long as what you are saying is easily picked up by the person you are saying it to then who gives a rats ass how its spelled...
    people like you who are so uptight about grammar being 100% perfect all the time are just plain annoying.

  16. #36
    The Patient Mimir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    327
    Language and punctuation are skills just like any other skill; if you don't make it a point to constantly correct and improve those skills, they will suffer and you will be more apparently ignorant, since communicative skills are used so often that we should all have a high level of expertise. If you don't read, write or converse often, your skills in communication in all of its forms will decay. Buy a book and read it, look up words you don't understand, talk to people more often, hopefully about substantive subjects other than pop culture and take note of the correct spelling of words when you get them wrong and correct them.
    Mímir, 90 Nelf Hunter, Stormrage server

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by 312guiltyspark View Post
    Look - the simple fact is that grammar is good for writing out essays or CVs or something like that - but when used online for a casual thing like forum posting or game playing - then who cares? as long as what you are saying is easily picked up by the person you are saying it to then who gives a rats ass how its spelled...
    people like you who are so uptight about grammar being 100% perfect all the time are just plain annoying.
    It's not a matter about being 100% correct all the time. It's about people no longer having the ability to write properly at all.
    Keep The Beats!

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by 312guiltyspark View Post
    Look - the simple fact is that grammar is good for writing out essays or CVs or something like that - but when used online for a casual thing like forum posting or game playing - then who cares? as long as what you are saying is easily picked up by the person you are saying it to then who gives a rats ass how its spelled...
    people like you who are so uptight about grammar being 100% perfect all the time are just plain annoying.
    I think you're confusing 'please type legibly' with 'PERFECT GRAMMAR OR DIE'

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I agree on most stuff you should, but starting to flame on people who just don't know how to spell or do the perfect grammer (I'm one of them) it's pretty insulting.
    It's hardly insulting unless the response to your bad grammar is in bad taste or rude. While it might be true that some people would "flame" you for it, most people who comment on others' grammar do so because it's painful to watch someone demolish the English language. That being said, if your native language is NOT English, but you can still manage a semi-coherent statement, more power to you. Anyone who puts down, say, someone from South Korea for struggling with English on an English forum is just an idiot.

    That being said - if you're from any English speaking nation, and you don't understand the difference in application between words like "They're" "Their" and "There", my advice to you is turn off your computer, and pick up a book, you're embarassing us.

  20. #40
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    At home, most likely
    Posts
    244
    Your example isn't actual grammar itself, it's more spelling words wrong.
    "I am the greetest"
    "I am now leaving earth for no raeson"

    That's just spelling them wrong. There's a difference between proper grammar and just normal spelling misstakes from people with another native language - Get used to it.
    And for writing like you're texting, what's so wrong with using shortened words? I atleast can understand what they're saying and that's the whole point, understanding each other. If it sounds dumb in your head when someone says something without having correct grammar


    tl:dr, get used to it and stop bitching

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •