Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
15
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammEr is the difference between:
    You did that on purpose right ? ..

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    Porper grammer is umportunt so u dont get maid fun of over teh intrenet
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    I see what you did there... after a few attempts, but I think that's what I was intended to see.
    Really? I actually had to go back and reread it after I saw your post to even realize it was full of misspellings. When a person reads they don't read "letter for letter". Normally you can glance at most common words, spelled correctly or not, and just understand what it is. That is unless it is so misspelled that it just becomes a jumble of letters.

    On topic:
    While playing WoW I honestly couldn't give a damn if you are using the proper version of their/there/they're ect. A small amount of reading comprehension goes a long way.

    Let's eat, Grandma
    and
    Let's eat Grandma.

    Why the hell would I want to eat my grandma? You say punctuation saves lives. I say reading comprehension does.

  3. #83
    Brewmaster Rukah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,293
    Alot of people in here need to understand the difference between grammar, spelling, punctuation and reading comprehension.

    Guess which one I fail at most? (hint: starts with an "s")

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetleader View Post
    Really? I actually had to go back and reread it after I saw your post to even realize it was full of misspellings. When a person reads they don't read "letter for letter". Normally you can glance at most common words, spelled correctly or not, and just understand what it is. That is unless it is so misspelled that it just becomes a jumble of letters.
    Many people do read the way things are spelled out, hence why that flash was made, and I believe was the main point of the OP.

    On topic:
    While playing WoW I honestly couldn't give a damn if you are using the proper version of their/there/they're ect. A small amount of reading comprehension goes a long way.
    While I agree to an extent on this point, it's still very lazy to write out thngs like txt's in-game, as st8ed b4.
    Let's eat, Grandma
    and
    Let's eat Grandma.

    Why the hell would I want to eat my grandma? You say punctuation saves lives. I say reading comprehension does.
    Speaking of comprehension, why couldn't you comprehend that these statements were to put it into perspective?
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetleader View Post
    ...Why the hell would I want to eat my grandma? You say punctuation saves lives. I say reading comprehension does.
    QFT.

    If the scentance makes some sort of sense the spelling/grammer is irrelevent - Possible exception - English Essay/Job CV etc.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 11:22 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetleader View Post
    ...Why the hell would I want to eat my grandma? You say punctuation saves lives. I say reading comprehension does.
    QFT.

    If the scentance makes some sort of sense the spelling/grammer is irrelevent - Possible exception - English Essay/Job CV etc.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao_tzu View Post
    QFT.

    If the scentance makes some sort of sense the spelling/grammer is irrelevent - Possible exception - English Essay/Job CV etc.
    Case in point, if you fill it out like an idiot, your potential employer is going to assume you are one.
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-15 at 11:34 AM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Steavz View Post
    Case in point, if you fill it out like an idiot, your potential employer is going to assume you are one.
    Because we all know that people who don't care much about grammar on an internet forum or internet game are more likely to not spell-check their CV's.
    Oh, wait...

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao_tzu View Post
    QFT.

    If the scentance makes some sort of sense the spelling/grammer is irrelevent - Possible exception - English Essay/Job CV etc.[COLOR="red"]

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 11:22 AM ----------
    There are sentences where proper punctuation makes a big difference and even reading comprehension doesnt help.
    Also, it may be hard for the reader to understand you. Especially in english language where sentences / words can be so flexible. You dont put punctuation because you perfectly know what you mean, but for the reader its not so clear and he has to put those comas and periods on his own. Or figure out what that strange word was originally and where was the typo made. In the end each reader has to do it on his OR give up reading OR completely misunderstand your point.
    Just because you didnt care about making your sentences easier to read
    Last edited by procne; 2011-01-15 at 06:49 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Because we all know that people who don't care much about grammar on an internet forum or internet game are more likely to not spell-check their CV's.
    Oh, wait...
    Apply it to anything else. You could exchange "potential employer" with any other noun that makes sense and the statement is just as valid.

    If you don't give a shit of the legibility of your post on a forum, why should I care enough to read it?
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-15 at 12:01 PM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  10. #90

    from the great The Parking Lot is Full that ended far too soon.

    And that one's from '96. It's like reading 1982 and then looking at today's world. Sure it sounds scary at first, but then you realize how much of it has already come to pass, in a much more horrifying way.
    It looks great, but Will It Mog? | Are you fully Glyphed?

  11. #91
    It's always easier to read proper sentences, but I'm starting to get used to internet lingo anyway. No big deal in my opinion, as long as it is somehow understandable.
    However, when it is really that bad I can't help but hear this.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice View Post
    How about you all stop thinking the world rotates around the USA and figure out a lot of ppl (like myself) on these forums don't speak English as their first language. Actually the non-english speakers who come in here and post/read these forums have an upper hand on yourself. How many of you could go into a French or Spanish forum and contribute? Thats what I thought...
    I'm danish/german and usually have better grammar/typing skills than the British people in the guild I've been in. The most important thing is actually wanting to learn the language, and not be forced to do it.

  13. #93
    High Overlord Reash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    157
    If you write sentences in text speech, ie. Shortening words and stuff Im not going to make an issue of it or say anything, I'll just think your 12 years old, for some reason thats just how i see you when I read it.

    Example:
    Random: "u dnt do tht, ur spos to do this"

    I read that and just think I'm listening to a 12 year old, don't know why.

    The only thing I ever correct people on is when they say:
    "sweet, a axe just dropped" instead of
    "sweet, an axe just dropped", that really bugs me, I don't actually correct people on it much, just sometimes.

  14. #94
    If one isn't too sure about placing commas one can consider changing a sentence that no fatal misunderstandings happen.

    Granpa lets eat. (still wrong but not deadly)

    At least English is easier than German on this. There are rules about punctuation in German that make Satan cry.

    A problem that is quite on the level of flawed grammar is correct spelling. Or do you want to make Santa cry? Didn't think so.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 02:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    It's always easier to read proper sentences, but I'm starting to get used to internet lingo anyway. No big deal in my opinion, as long as it is somehow understandable.
    However, when it is really that bad I can't help but hear this.
    holy mother of Santa!
    Im starting to like the way they talk in theaters. But only if they try to act out internet forum discussions.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by akuaku View Post
    holy mother of Santa!
    Im starting to like the way they talk in theaters. But only if they try to act out internet forum discussions.
    Did you watch the video in the OP?
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  16. #96
    Your nickname and your character name are both written in the same fashion you're standing up against.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by gogozmeq View Post
    Your nickname and your character name are both written in the same fashion you're standing up against.
    Nice try, but that is an 'ad hominem'. Names of fictional characters and especially nicknames do not fall under proper grammatical guidelines. That's like saying, "uh, sorry Blizzard, this boss can not be named Cho'gall, that isn't a real word".
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-15 at 03:13 PM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  18. #98
    Warchief Sarcasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,053
    What I find the funniest is people who will bash foreigners in their country for not learning proper English, yet they refuse to do it themselves. Something I'm sure most people in this thread are guilty of.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

  19. #99
    Moderator Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    7,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    What I find the funniest is people who will bash foreigners in their country for not learning proper English, yet they refuse to do it themselves. Something I'm sure most people in this thread are guilty of.
    You just reminded me of a movie line from Twelve Angry Men

    Juror #10: Bright? He's a common ignorant slob. He don't even speak good English.
    Juror #11: *Doesn't* even speak good English.

  20. #100
    This message is hidden because Steavz is on your ignore list.

    Glad to see the system works, and uses proper grammar too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •