Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Protqt View Post
    Your example isn't actual grammar itself, it's more spelling words wrong.
    "I am the greetest"
    "I am now leaving earth for no raeson"

    That's just spelling them wrong. There's a difference between proper grammar and just normal spelling misstakes from people with another native language - Get used to it.
    And for writing like you're texting, what's so wrong with using shortened words? I atleast can understand what they're saying and that's the whole point, understanding each other. If it sounds dumb in your head when someone says something without having correct grammar


    tl:dr, get used to it and stop bitching
    Did you read any of the posts or are you just trolling?
    Keep The Beats!

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I feel as tho people who need to correct grammar always need to feel as they are better than everyone else. If it is understandable what is the problem?
    Some people are English majors at UC Berkeley. Some people just can't handle bad grammar and flip a tit.

    As for me, I just keep my mouth shut and let my rage build. Yes.... YES.... unlimited rage!

  3. #43
    Using improper grammar has a lot more negative effects than people think. If you're trying to make a point to someone "tiping liek dis" then what you're saying loses a lot of meaning.

    Usually typing like an idiot implies the person is also an idiot.

    Also, using abbreviations to save typing time is stupid. The amount of time you save typing "4" instead of "four" is nearly none, less if you're not comfortable typing numbers. Acronyms are also bad when people use them without any context or without even understanding what they mean (WTB Embersilk Cloth please PST me).

  4. #44
    Bloodsail Admiral roboscorcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,009
    I think that abbreviated words & phrases have their place in society, and they work well there. Restricted to a 140 character text, or need to communicate fast? By all means, use all the LOLs and BRBs you need. In an intelligent discussion of a specific issue, where you're expected to collect your thoughts before sharing them? No, you want to convey your intelligence through your words. Mis-used words convey stupidity.

    The big problem is that some forum users (and more importantly, students) try to integrate their simple chat into the academic circle, and as a result, even their most insightful arguments are bogged down by the ambiguity of common-speak words. I struggled heavily with this in my first year of University, and I'm still working on my vocabulary today. It is still very tempting to use internet speak when typing.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Protqt View Post
    There's a difference between proper grammar and just normal spelling mistakes from people with another native language.
    You're right there is a difference between proper grammar and normal spelling mistakes, there's also a difference between normal spelling mistakes and laziness.

    Not saying everyone that types in an abbreviated form(txt, u, ur, and the like) are lazy but when your post literally needs to be dissected to become even remotely legible something is seriously wrong. Even more so when you spell words correctly('you' for example) and then five words later you replace the full word for the shortened form('u'). I don't care you use letters as replacements for full words, hell I don't even care if you make spelling mistakes, as long as there's some consistency in the writing.

  6. #46
    Moderator Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    7,520
    If you're trying to make a point, and a person has to pause from reading to decipher a word, then the point you are trying to make loses its impact. A few errors rarely matter; if you mix up there/their or your/you're, people can still usually get the meaning and context of what you are saying without having to stop, but errors like the video used by the OP or the link to the flash review makes the reader think, "This person is an idiot, so chances are, whatever point they are trying to make is idiotic, too". This isn't always true, but it certainly gives the impression.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    If you're trying to make a point, and a person has to pause from reading to decipher a word, then the point you are trying to make loses its impact. A few errors rarely matter; if you mix up there/their or your/you're, people can still usually get the meaning and context of what you are saying without having to stop, but errors like the video used by the OP or the link to the flash review makes the reader think, "This person is an idiot, so chances are, whatever point they are trying to make is idiotic, too". This isn't always true, but it certainly gives the impression.
    This is the case, because the majority of players you encounter in WoW are truely retarded and don't actually know the meaning of "your" as opposed to "you're".
    SARCASM
    Because it translates well in text.

  8. #48
    Scarab Lord foxHeart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Inside Jabu-jabu's Belly
    Posts
    4,192
    Use proper grammar when you're wrong and you just look like a pretentious dumb ass.
    Use improper grammar when you're wrong and you don't surprise anyone.

    I prefer people who at least attempt proper grammar, but I don't hope for it. I know better. I think it's important for people to know how to not look like they are completely uneducated, but honestly, it's the internet. They really don't give a shit and most of the time I don't either.

  9. #49
    The Lightbringer Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,079
    Complaints about stuff like "they're", "their", and "there" is pointless. There's no reason they need to be spelled differently when the meaning is blatantly obvious from context and the sound is identical in verbal communication anyway. That's truly just nitpicking.

    Let's say we homogenized the spelling to just "thar" for all 3 of them. Can you truly not understand this sentence?

    "They can't come fishing with us, thar going to the party after they change the tires on thar car at the gas station over thar."

    If you want to argue about the evils of occasional ambiguity, please explain why you're not aggressively championing separate spellings for potentially problematic homonyms, like "bark" (how do we know if you're talking about dogs or trees?!?!), "bank", "fluke", "bow", "bear", "sow", "lead", "wind" ...

    I don't see the sense in insisting the current language is perfect and shouldn't be modified simply because it's what you got used to growing up.

  10. #50
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Blackpool - England
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    Proper grammar is important when writing something formal.

    On a forum or in a game you are just being ignorant if you don't manage to read or don't want to read something with bad grammar.

    The example of "helping uncle jack off a horse" and "helping uncle Jack, off a horse" is a good example, but how often do you use that anyway?
    alot if you have a relative named jack that likes horseriding.
    Insert Signiture here.

  11. #51
    I agree wholeheartedly.

  12. #52
    How popular do you think mmo-champion.com would be if Boubouille's updates were full of spelling and grammatical errors? Let me answer that for you, it wouldn't be popular at all. People would assume he's an idiot because he can't grasp his native language after practicing it his entire life.
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-14 at 11:11 PM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  13. #53
    You are correct sir, thanks for making a topic like this.
    It's time to attend some of these problems with "u" and the likes.

  14. #54
    The Lightbringer Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Steavz View Post
    How popular do you think mmo-champion.com would be if Boubouille's updates were full of spelling and grammatical errors? Let me answer that for you, it wouldn't be popular at all. People would assume he's an idiot because he can't grasp his native language after practicing it his entire life.
    That's not justification for any argument, it's just an (unprovable) assumption about the current state of what people expect as standard. Anything that needs to have mass appeal can be assumed to do better when it follows the expectations that the majority of the audience have. I think your assumption is correct, but I don't think it proves anything significant.

    20 years ago you could have argued, "How popular would this newsletter have been if it was posted to one of those ugly-looking 'webpage' things? It wouldn't be popular at all!" Therefore, the spartan early age of the Internet was a backward step for humanity because it was taking beautiful printed pages and reducing them to horrible pixelated text with almost no images and MIDI files playing in the background, and we'd be better off if people had been sensible and stopped posting webpages.

    Also, while nitpicking, I think that Boubouille's native language is French. But I could be wrong on that one.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

    Helping your uncle jack off a horse

    and

    Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    grammar* ? Sigh...

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    That's not justification for any argument, it's just an (unprovable) assumption about the current state of what people expect as standard. Anything that needs to have mass appeal can be assumed to do better when it follows the expectations that the majority of the audience have. I think your assumption is correct, but I don't think it proves anything significant.

    20 years ago you could have argued, "How popular would this newsletter have been if it was posted to one of those ugly-looking 'webpage' things? It wouldn't be popular at all!" Therefore, the spartan early age of the Internet was a backward step for humanity because it was taking beautiful printed pages and reducing them to horrible pixelated text with almost no images and MIDI files playing in the background, and we'd be better off if people had been sensible and stopped posting webpages.

    Also, while nitpicking, I think that Boubouille's native language is French. But I could be wrong on that one.
    I think you're really reaching now while playing Devil's Advocate. It is an assumption, yes, but a very valid one. If his native language is french, and he still manages to make posts properly in any language that isn't, that solidifies my point even more.

    On the newsletter / archaic internet age translation; newsprint and the like was more popular then. It's only now, that internet is mainstream, web-pages can be beautifully constructed, and the sheer simplicity of getting said information from the internet has made it surpass the paper print medium. But it was the simplicity, mainly, that gave the internet the momentum it needed to become so popular in the first place.
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-15 at 03:43 AM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

  17. #57
    My contribution to this thread:

    hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
    Last edited by Aperture13; 2011-01-15 at 04:02 AM.

  18. #58
    Words have one purpose... communication. If I convey the same message by typing 'u' instead of 'you' and I did it in a more efficient manner, then what's the difference? There is none. As long as the sentiment/message was properly conveyed then it is correct.

    If you have a guild mate named Jack, and he's on a horse, and he needs help... then saying "help jack off the horse" will be understood properly. Anybody who misinterprets that is an idiot who isn't smart enough to understand the difference proper and improper grammar anyways... or a pompous jackass like the OP who just wants to feel superior to those around him.

  19. #59
    Thanks a lot for the fatasic vid.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurytus View Post
    Words have one purpose... communication. If I convey the same message by typing 'u' instead of 'you' and I did it in a more efficient manner, then what's the difference? There is none. As long as the sentiment/message was properly conveyed then it is correct.

    If you have a guild mate named Jack, and he's on a horse, and he needs help... then saying "help jack off the horse" will be understood properly. Anybody who misinterprets that is an idiot who isn't smart enough to understand the difference proper and improper grammar anyways... or a pompous jackass like the OP who just wants to feel superior to those around him.
    You obviously didn't actually read the OP, any other post in the thread, or understood the point I was trying to get across. In that last sentence I've already given your post more attention that you gave mine or anyone else's. Why should anyone stop and give your post any attention?

    Also, The little backhanded comment at the end is quite the hypocritical statement itself. How do I want to feel "superior to those around me" when I'm pointing out how ridiculous very poor spelling and grammar sounds? If anything it's to get people to stop doing that, and if everyone is on the same page, how can a person be superior?

    Yes, you can convey the same message many different ways. If someone asked how old you were and you said "'dis many" and held up your fingers showing how old you were, or just said, "I'm 28 years old" or whatever, it would get the same message across. But one would look a little ridiculous, don't you think?
    ...what's the difference? There is none.
    really?
    Last edited by Steavz; 2011-01-15 at 07:16 AM.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •