Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Just to set the record straight, in a totally unbiased fashion;

ig·no·rant   
    –adjective

1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
    2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
    3. uninformed; unaware.
    4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

The many references of people being "ignorant" by choosing to use proper spelling / grammar, does not make a bit of sense whatsoever.
    "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy
    ... I live in Texas and I have seen a TON of climate change in ONE day ...
    ZOMG! Play NES games in your browser!

Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Last edited by Skrototem; 2011-01-21 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrototem View Post
    Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Usually, it's correct. However - how many times did you misread words because of this? Instead of one word you another, similarly spelt one? I am sure there are many words which use similar letters and only by careful examination of them you can see the difference between them. It becomes especially important when context is not well defined and writer has poor / spelling overall
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    true that man. i had no difficulty what so ever reading what you wrote up there.

1) grammar is important for things like work and school

2) grammar is semi-important in places like forums or blogs

3) grammar is not really important in chat

if you have any problems with the rules stated above then you are a grammar Nazi. End of Story.

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 11:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Usually, it's correct. However - how many times did you misread words because of this? Instead of one word you another, similarly spelt one? I am sure there are many words which use similar letters and only by careful examination of them you can see the difference between them. It becomes especially important when context is not well defined and writer has poor / spelling overall
    you have a brain right? im sure you wont have a stroke because the guy misspelled you're instead of your

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

and

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    lol i loled so hard it hurt =>

Quote Originally Posted by Steavz View Post
    Let's eat grandpa!

-or-

Let's eat, grandpa!
    also made me lol

Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy...
    British scientists at their best, eh?

Ahh, come on, folks, comparing to other Indo-European languages, English degraded so much, that nothing can help it anymore. But it was not in vain, for the people can learn it easier now. So if it degrades even more - that can be even welcomed.
    Example: in English you have Present Perfect (I have done it) and Past Indefinite (I did it). In my native language we use lexical stuff, not grammar to tell these things apart. And for me this is kind of difficult. So, if you, guys, can merge these tenses somehow together, that would be really nice of you. ^_^

We no speak Americano.

I don't really know why some people are getting angry over it.
    Yes, a lot of people we play with are not English native speakers and have learned English at their schools or some sort of institute, which means their English is not 100% accurate grammar-wise or even spelling-wise.

I myself not an English speaker and I really hate it when people correct my spelling or grammar with really harsh comments instead of being nice about it.

If you understand what I'm saying then that's good, why do you have to be such an ass about the spelling or grammar?
    If you don't understand what I'm saying then that's another story though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

and

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    Emphasis on effective. You don't necessarily have to be the best speller or recognize when you are using a comma splice, so long as you are able to effectively and easily convey meaning. Proper Grammar is this far off thing that only exists in a textbook. Some people a long time ago declared absolute grammar rules, ignoring the fact that language is constantly evolving.

It is important online, in that the majority of communication is through text, but don't worry so much about using proper grammar as much as using effective grammar. They aren't always the same thing.

LOL so HARD at the end.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Deleted
    Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Taht rcsreaeh is fake. Try rdaenig wdros like inodfcimuenecmiy (immunodeficiency) or mjgdsonateclmuiy (misconjugatedly) or perhaps urgnhitaypbloces (uncopyrightables) or mybae it wolud be eaiser with atdibmsnhtiiraaelitisnasnessm (antidisestablishmentarianism)
    It's not even from Cambridge, it's just some internet bullshit someone came up with.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2011-01-21 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Sorry Op you are totally wrong . Effective communication does not depend on correct spelling or grammar . If I sent you a text message that said " hey man i'll brb im helping your uncle jack off a horse " in reality you would not think for a moment I was helping your uncle do some sick thing to an animal . You would know that you're uncles names is JACK and he is horse back riding . The saddest thing about spelling and grammar NAZI's is that much like wow elitists who think they are sooooo awesome at wow ...someone is always much much better then them .
    What you are talking about here is context and it helps a lot to understand otherwise confusing sentences. The only problem is it takes the assumption of certain knowledge, which isn't a guarantee when chatting with large numbers of people you don't know from diverse backgrounds.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was SO not ready for that "Beacuase" and the "PEPOLE"! I laughed SO hard, I even rewind it back :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Taht rcsreaeh is fake. Try rdaenig wdros like inodfcimuenecmiy (immunodeficiency) or mjgdsonateclmuiy (misconjugatedly) or perhaps urgnhitaypbloces (uncopyrightables) or mybae it wolud be eaiser with atdibmsnhtiiraaelitisnasnessm (antidisestablishmentarianism)
    It's not even from Cambridge, it's just some internet bullshit someone came up with.
    Because those are words our minds are familiar with and have places the positioning of those words in our heads, right? Your examples are stupid. It doesn't matter where it originated from(it's a common phrase used to illustrate word transposition), if you're familiar with the word you're able to read it as if it were a normal word. Granted reading time lengthens and longer words get confusing, but when you're using words people don't enocunter EVER in their lives as a way to prove that people can't read it when jumbled up is just slightly past silly.

Edit: Also with words as long as those, the mind breaks them into seperate words anyway (Anti-Dis-Establishment-Arian-Ism) So to follow the trend of the arguement you'd be writing it as:
    Atnidisetsalbihsnemtairanism
    Which, to my eyes/mind is readable, but that could also be because i wrote it/thought through the process of writing the word jumbled.

Edit: it's also been proven to be important in this process for the vowels to be relatively close to their original positions, constanants don't seem to matter as much, moving a vowel from the end of the word to the beginning isn't word transposition, it's an anagram.
    Last edited by Skrototem; 2011-01-21 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Additions/wording

Deleted
    Because those are words our minds are familiar with and have places the positioning of those words in our heads right? You examples are stupid. It doesn't matter where it originated from, if you're familiar with the word you're able to read it as if it were a normal word. Granted reading time and longer words get confusing, but when you're using words people don't enocunter EVER in their lives as a way to prove that people can't read it when jumbled up is just slightly past stupid.
    I knew all of those words except antidisestablishmentarianism and I couldn't read them. What if two words have approximately the same letters and start and end the same way? Instant ambiguity.

Also, Big ccunoil tax ineesacrs tihs yaer hvae seezueqd the inmcoes of mnay pneosenirs
    A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur

Those sentences were written by a guy that actually DOES work at Cambridge. At the Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit. He had never heard of this research ever being done there.

Edit: it's also been proven to be important in this process for the vowels to be relatively close to their original positions, constanants don't seem to matter as much, moving a vowel from the end of the word to the beginning isn't word transposition, it's an anagram.
    Then your first post would be lying since it never mentions any of these rules.
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2011-01-21 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Pardon me, he's not ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    I knew all of those words except antidisestablishmentarianism and I couldn't read them. What if two words have approximately the same letters and start and end the same way? Instant ambiguity.

Also, Big ccunoil tax ineesacrs tihs yaer hvae seezueqd the inmcoes of mnay pneosenirs
    A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur

Those sentences were written by a guy that actually DOES work at Cambridge. At the Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit. He had never heard of this research ever being done there.
    Read my edit; it's a quote of a Meme illustrating an example of word transposition.

Also, a fair number of the words used in your "Cambridge" example require a stopping of reading to work out the word being said. Such as; teenage, incomes or pensioners. The Meme example reads fluently - maybe a little slower than normal. Your example reads slowly.

Then your first post would be lying since it never mentions any of these rules.
    It doesn't have to explain these rules. It's a quote of a widely used example to illustrate the point, as i keep saying. I myself was explaining the rules that have been found to work with this process.
    Last edited by Skrototem; 2011-01-21 at 06:38 PM.

Deleted
    It doesn't have to explain these rules. It's a quote of a widely used example to illustrate the point, as i keep saying. I myself was explaining the rules that have been found to work with this process.
    And thus we can conclude that the meme is in fact bullshit because it has hidden rules. I don't care about word transposition or anything but within the parameters set forth by the meme, it is lying about itself.

Quote Originally Posted by toho View Post
    true that man. i had no difficulty what so ever reading what you wrote up there.
    However, if that was some mundane text, you'd have to read it with a lot more concentration to decypher it. That our brain has a good error correction doesn't mean we have to use it so much. (I was tempted to scramble the words in that line for comedic effect, but after writing the below, I didn't care)

1) grammar is important for things like work and school

2) grammar is semi-important in places like forums or blogs

3) grammar is not really important in chat
    I think you're missing the point here. It's not about the occasional or even regular mistakes everyone makes. You don't proof-read every word three times before sending it, this is even more true in a casual environment of course. It's not about using common or obscure shortcuts, abbreviations and acronyms.

This is about massive failures in the ability to communicate that cannot be explained by casualness or dyslexia, but only blatant disregard of the people the writer is addressing. The writer simply doesn't care if the reader has to spend some more seconds to understand what he means, because he doesn't have to spend that time himself. This isn't even mere laziness. It is not viewing those other, "online" people as human beings. They are outside his range of people he cares for. Try such defying of grammar in an online forum of e.g. your sports club, or on your social platform of choice, and soon your friends and family will either be worried about or ridicule you.
    Actually, I'm killing my point here, ironically because your list in fact confirms that theory:
    1) You care or have respect for people at work/school.
    2) You usually don't know people on forums/blogs "irl", but you do have some emotional attachment. Still, they exist in your virtual world.
    3) You don't care for people in "chat" (if we're talking about General, Trade or people found through LFG here, not guild chat or whispers with friends) as you couldn't care less if they were humans or just a sophisticated bot, existing just to entertain you. To you, they rank even below major NPCs, or notable characters from games/movies, as those likely are very close to, if not included in 2)

Besides embedding my own opinion into the above paragraph, there is of course no actual judgement in this, as it is just an explanation of how humans cope with large numbers of people, so it comes out rather neutral.

It's just human nature.

Deleted
    Haha, that's awesome, good job Skrototem.

wat r u tlkin bout dud

It's not only about English. There is the same problem in russian language and I'm sure in all other languages too.
    I see 2 reasons of it.

1. Forums and chats are informal in their mass. And people tend to shorten words in favor of typing time. I personally see no problem with that like in speech we always shorten some words and it's ok in informal enviroment. Typing 'u' instead of 'you', the famous 'l2p' (my keyboard would broke if I had to write it right each time someone post a bullshit).

2. Kids like to mock at language. It's really fun at first but then when you tired of it you realize that it doesn't stop. And it starts to annoy. As I said as people grow they will back to normal language. You'll just have to ignore some new kids' language inventions.