View Poll Results: Is paladin mana management

Voters
156. This poll is closed
  • Too easy. I solo healed H Nefarian unbuffed.

35 22.44%
  • Just right. A fun and challenging whack'a'mole.

110 70.51%
  • Too hard. New players need more gear than is available for entry-level raids.

11 7.05%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Don't be afraid to use CD's religously. Hand of sacrifice on every other pull, wings, the haste/crit move I forget the name and aura mastry. I judge and arcane torrent on cd more or less and do fine. Let others said, the first few heroics will be rough. Carry mage food and just drink each pull if need be. Try to que with a decent tank or buffs that may help, MOTW, Intellect etc. Try to avoid divine light spam. My ilvl is around 350 in all pve gear and 100k+ mana buffed and I can't even get away with too many divine lights. Maybe once the divine Plea buff goes live it'll be worth using on CD, as for now, i rarely use it. Gem properly and get 2 good raiding professions that provide bonus intellect. Reforge mastry/crit to spirit/haste depending on whats available.
    Good luck

How did this get to three pages? The OP is woefully undergeared and his example is a level 80 second tier raid. WTF? WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION?
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jothium View Post
    Hey, about your reforging problems...
    Try to lose that mastery and crit. You can reforge them into haste/spirit if you want to.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arathor/exact/
    Armory must not have updated in a few days, it's showing everything correctly reforged on my computer.

Deleted
    Paladins seem to scale well with gear, while its a nightmare at the start later on it becomes too easy, if I try I can finish off the easier raid bosses at 100% mana (349 item level)

The thing is that when you hit 85 the mana that your spells uses increases dramaticly, and with low gear you will use alot of mana, regardless of content if you use your spells wrong.

Get gear with spirit and haste. If the item does not have spirit, reforge to it, if it has spirit but not haste, reforge something to haste.

I see a problem with your healing style as well. You are using HS pretty much on CD, which is good, but you are using HS then waiting for the tank to take damage and then proceed with casting DL. This is very mana inefficent... Even if the tank is high on HP, you should pretty much always be casting HL. It costs next to no mana, and heals for a small amount, but it can proc Daybreak which allowes for two HS in a row which results in more Holy Power which in turn results in more mana free casts which means more mana, and possibly trinket procs if you have any trinkets that can proc. You say you don't feel like it's worth casting HL on a tank anymore because it doesn't give any Holy Power. This is wrong, because it does give Holy Power though Daybreak procs, just not as much as before.

TLDR:
    Use more HL, it's your friend and is way more powerful than you think.

Nearly all of you comment the first post while having ilvl 350+ stuff...

But random dungeon finder for Heroics is available with ilvl 329.
    But with this kind of stuff it is quite difficult to heal a 5 heroic instance without getting oom.

First of all our stuff must prioritize int, spirit and haste and we must use HL, HS, WoG and LoD.
    But it is also important that the rules of the encounter must be respected. With ilvl 329 we have not enough throughput to manage other's mistakes. And with a PU group it is not always easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Sukauto View Post
    I was able to join heroics in greens. High level greens, but greens all the same. So you are wrong.
    There are no ilevel 329 greens. You need to have mainly 333 parts to que for heroics. 333=blue

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peopleinplanes View Post
    Try being a resto shaman healing heroics in greens, with everyone else in greens, then you will know what pain is. Everyone had problems except this disc priest I know.
    i feel you man..... it was pain :P but discs mmm imo their time was hard also
    "Veni, vidi, vici"

"I came, I saw, I conquered"

Also, what's up with going into Heroics in greens?
    Do everyone else and yourself a favor by farming normals first like everyone else and stop leeching.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Stop using Divine Light unless necessary, start spamming Holy Light instead.

Edit: To expand... You'll be better off with HL spam even if it doesn't work with ToR rather than standing around doing nothing for a while and casting DL. Yes, I watched the video. Yes, I saw you doing that.
    no need to tell you twice

I'm happy so far.

Success has always depended largely on the tank and healer knowing their job. And now in Cata it depends on the dps not being morons too. So in that respect, my job is harder when i PUG. I try to run with guildees whenever possible.

Also, the mechanics of most boss (and trash) fights make it pretty obvious if the dps or tank REALLY mess up. Healers simply don't have the power to save them every time, and nothing says FAIL like a single person dying. I've found a huge increase in dps and tanks leaving groups out of shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purgex View Post
    I am concerned with the mana management for holy paladins (at lower gear levels).

Yeah, because heroic content is clearly planned for people not bothering to do all in their power to upgrade their gear to the proper level...

In Cata, if you are not prepared and/or don't know your class, you get heavily punished. However if you can handle both, it's nearly a walkthrough. Problem is that everyone else should do that as well...

Personally I haven't encountered much issues, unless the tank is an idiot or someone ninja pulls another group - but I was prepared. Before Cata started, I had grinded both my honor and JP to 4000 and saved hundreds of old WG honor tokens (long before they got removed from the vendor), and hit average ilvl of 342 and 85k unbuffed mana half an hour after dinging 85. Also having a top level blacksmith as main helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    There are no ilevel 329 greens. You need to have mainly 333 parts to que for heroics. 333=blue

Redsteel Helm and Stormforged Breastplate say hi.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2011-01-15 at 07:41 AM.

Once you get into 346+ ilvl gear mana management comes down to using the right heals for the right situation and know when its a good time to regen some mana.. (pots, plea, Lay on hands glyphed, mana tide, spirit trinks). try to get every piece with spirit/haste (worked best for me) and heartsong on any weap >333ilvl. reforge for spirit on any gear that doesnt have it

(use your judgment as much as possible on long fights... its about 3500 mana for free every.. 8 seconds? dont pass it up)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessa View Post
    Also, what's up with going into Heroics in greens?
    Do everyone else and yourself a favor by farming normals first like everyone else and stop leeching.
    I started heroics the moment I hit level 85 with half of the gear required for the 329 not even equipped (repu gear to cheat iLvl ftw) with my tank friend doing the exact same thing and we got through without much trouble (that was at about 4 am the 2nd day after the expansion came out)

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    lvl 83 and ilvl 333 = blues => those items you linked are bugged.
    Last edited by Nillo; 2011-01-15 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    I started heroics the moment I hit level 85 with half of the gear required for the 329 not even equipped (repu gear to cheat iLvl ftw) with my tank friend doing the exact same thing and we got through without much trouble (that was at about 4 am the 2nd day after the expansion came out)
    Doesn't change the fact that most players doesn't have the skill to do that.