holy pally first time healing can someone give me some help with key setup

In king I was a druid healer.
    Using Vuhdoo I had rej and regrowth on main mouse buttons then set up shift, alt and ctl mouse buttons

I am new to holy healing and man I have a lot to learn.
    how are you setting up your spells?

Last night I put them the way it looked good...well it wasn't ROFL
    here was my first mistake

left HL right Fol

Well FOL put me out of mana so fast

How do you prioritize your spells in usefulness compared to cost?

NO MOD LEFT RIGHT
    SHIFT LEFT RIGHT
    CTL LEFT RIGHT

ALT LEFT RIGHT

I have always used atl as my keys for either emergency like a combat rez or a BIG HEAL
    I guess in Paladin would you classify that is more of a HANDS type of thing?

on alt I have one time spells like beacon and Hand of Sacrifice

===========================
    a question on healing with the BIG emergency heals a friend was trying to tell me that combos might be good.
    like flash and holy are cheaper and quicker than a Big slow heal I am assuming he was talking about DL
    I tried that once last night and well I dont' know why you would cast that thing. It took forever and by the time it went off I put the tank back to about 50%
    I thought at the time how much more to cast 3 or 4 FAST spells and forget this thing.

I have 73K mana 4600sp and 1980 combat regen....yea I am 85 but these are mainly quest rewards and some odd stuff. He is a JC so I have the trinkets but nothing special on eq.

of course my buddy helped a lot...with your healing you should be ok with about 8k spirit LOL

I can't speak for everyone but mine is a simple setup
    Left holy light
    Right divine light
    Shift left holy shock
    Shift right Light of dawn
    Ctrl left flash of light
    Ctrl right word of glory
    Alt left beacon
    Alt right lay on hands
    E avenging wrath and divine favor
    Q aura mastery and divine protection
    Z blessing of protection
    X blessing of Salvation
    F blessing of freedom

It's a system that I have used since 4.0 was released and I have had no problems with it

Ok in terms of healing priorities:

1. Your main go-to heals are:
    - holy light which you can be casting continuously
    - holy shock which you shoud cast on cooldown (as long as healing's needed)

--> these might be your no-mod left and right

2. you basically have a second line of free heals. Here you will want a mod that shows you, when your "combopoints" are at a full stack of 3. If that is the case, these two gain the highest priority since you will not want to waste potential gains of holy power (except situations of course where you want to save a LoD or WoG for defined damage spikes).

- word of glory for single target healing (and a 1/3rd chance to instantly regenerate the used holy power)
    - light of dawn for group "healing" - I'd like to call it group loling as it

these could go to SHIFT + left and right

3. You have two spells that need recasting on a 2-5 minute basis
    - beacon of light - needs to reapplied every 5 mins and sometimes to be put on another player than the tank
    - hand of sacrifice - a great manasaver since our self healing is pretty good and passive through healing and judging. Combine it with divine protection and you got your tank a 30% damage reduction

these could go to CTRL + left and right

4 Oh Shits! We have a lot of combinations so you will want to have some triggers set to keys
    these are (not limited to)
    - guardian of ancient kings
    - divine favor
    - avenging wrath
    - aura mastery
    - lay on hands
    - divine shield

- Lay on hands is a great life saver that has served me so well. I can't count the times a tank has been saved by this spell. And: It's basically manafree. Glyphed (at the moment I double glyphed it) it can have a 7 min CD (down from 10) and/or a 10% max Mana regain on usage.

- divine shield. Our iconic ability and source of all the hatred we recieve . It's absolutely awesome to save you from a killingblow or to "stand in the fire" and cast on.

I'd take LoH for an ALT key. Bubble should be an easy to reach hotkey but does not deserve a clicking space since it really isn't used as long as it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

- A super groupsaver is divine favor in combination with holy radiance (which yiou should have a easy accessible key for too). Cast Holy lights as the rest ticks his arse off. Even more power if you pop wings along with it, although I'm more a fan of chaining than of mass-CD-usage.

thank you very much.
    I see we have a LOT of utility spells that I have not considered before.

I did notice you spell order and I think this is going to help me a lot.

I had thought of macro stuff and your divine favor and holy radiance are going in one.

aura mastery ....exactly what this effects or its uses I am not sure.

Deleted
    My setup:

Left - Holy Shock
    Middle - Word of Glory
    Right - Holy Light
    Button 4 - Flash of Light
    Button 5 - Divine Light
    Shift + Left - Cleanse
    Shift + Middle - Lay on Hands
    Shift + Right - Beacon of Light
    Ctrl + Left - Target
    Ctrl + Middle - Res
    Ctrl + Right - Menu
    F - Light of Dawn

No idea why I still have Hand of Sacrifice (<3)/Freedom/Protection on Keyboard tho lol. Will re-bind those asap.

alt + right = /y Get off the fire nub!

ROFL

Please, do not copy a config... Pick some things of configs you like. And try to build "your" config. It will take you less time to learn how to work with it.
    You don't wanna copy a config... (= No good)

Mouse:

Left Click - Cleanse
    Right Click - Holy Shock

Alt + Left Click - Lay on Hands
    Alt + Right Click - Beacon

Button 4 (side button "back" in a browser) - Divine Light
    Button 5 (side button "forward" in a browser) - Holy Light

Alt + Button 4 (side button "back" in a browser) - Light of Dawn
    Alt + Button 5 (side button "forward" in a browser) - WoG

Shift + Mouse Buttons = 4 Hand of xxx spells

Crtl + mouse 4 = Flash of Light (I basically never use this so its in the ctrl+click 'misc' section)
    Crtl + left click = Target
    Crtl + right click = Right Click Menu

Keyboard:

R - Judgement
    1 - Holy Radiance
    2 - Avenging Wraith
    3 - Divine Favor
    4 - Guardian of the Ancients
    5 - Aura Mastery
    6 - Trinket on use

I click divine plea since by definition its only used during down times. I have ctrl + mouse 5 open but, meh...

Using Clique + Grid(still can't get vuhdu to be as easy to read and quick to change configurations) and power auras to track Judgement/Holy Shock/Holy Radiance Cooldown. Also have power aura alerts for Daybreak/Infusion of Light/Holy Power and an alert if judgments of the pure isn't up.

this is what I ended up with
    LEFT HOLY LIGHT
    SHIFT WORD OF GLORY
    CTL DIVINE LIGHT
    ALT BEACON

RIGHT HOLY SHOCK
    SHIFT LIGHT OF DAWN
    CTL FLASH OF LIGHT
    ALT LAY ON HANDS

debating on light of dawn never even tried it. TP + aim kinda kills it for me.
    Lots of stuff in crusade that seem to be gimic pat head and rub stomach junk

I ran into 2 problems last night.
    I tried using the middle mouse button and instead of casting a spell it makes me run foreward.
    I guess its a scroll wheel for the middle button and I am scrolling while pressing.
    I need to find out if wow has a disable scroll or ms might have one in the mouse config.

I tried healing and it was not bad until it hit the fan.
    I had the tank at 30% me at 50% and 1 dps at 20%..I forget what the other 2 were at I think about 50%
    1 tank....I hit divine light I wish I had hit lay on
    2 20% dps I tried holy shock and light. he went to about 60% I was going to cast again but tank was taking damage so by this time I am at 40% tank at 40% and 3 dps at 50%
    SO I tried an aoe heal....wow that doesn't do much
    by then the boss was dead but I lost 1 dps

I am so used to hots and chain healing that this seems like a very slow game of whack a mole.
    Even with 1000+ haste my hl is 2.2 seconds.....that just doesn't sound right
    Last edited by sparks; 2011-01-14 at 12:59 PM.

I think the OP hit on something that i myself have gotten into the habit of... healing with combos.

Holy Paladins have alot of procs and cooldowns. Utilizing them efficiently can make a HUGE difference in HPS and mana efficiency. So i've rearranged my WotLK interface to make it very clear when each of my procs and cds are up.

And i must admit after the raw power Holy Paladin wielded in Wrath, it's demoralizing when you land a 3second heal and it barely registers on the tanks health meter... still, that's working as intended. However, if you chain that HL with a HS (and maybe a WoG) then I start to feel like my old self.

So basically, in times of low damage i spam HL and kinda try to keep Holy Power up. Moderate damage I spam HL whatever procs are available, and keep Holy Power up. Heavy damage I switch to DL, HS on cooldown, every proc on cooldown, and use Holy Power every time it gets to 3. Extreme damage i will switch to FoL and DL, as well as any cooldowns... then try to recover my mana afterwards since it's usually devastated. As for our AoE heals, i haven't found a use for them yet in 5-mans. Maybe they do something worthwhile in raids?!?
    Last edited by nysaa; 2011-01-14 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    I tried healing and it was not bad until it hit the fan.
    I had the tank at 30% me at 50% and 1 dps at 20%..I forget what the other 2 were at I think about 50%
    1 tank....I hit divine light I wish I had hit lay on
    2 20% dps I tried holy shock and light. he went to about 60% I was going to cast again but tank was taking damage so by this time I am at 40% tank at 40% and 3 dps at 50%
    SO I tried an aoe heal....wow that doesn't do much
    by then the boss was dead but I lost 1 dps

I am so used to hots and chain healing that this seems like a very slow game of whack a mole.
    Even with 1000+ haste my hl is 2.2 seconds.....that just doesn't sound right
    If you and 2 of your dps were at 50% then all you have to worry about is the 1 dps 20% and the tank at 30%. Something Beacon should easily be able to handle.

50% is the new 100% in Cata so there's no need to panic as long as people continue to move out of and interrupt bad stuff. It may take some getting use to but once you do I think you'll find you'll be a lot more calm when these situations arise.

Deleted
    Using grid+clique here because clique is one of the only addons i know of that works with a razer naga.

As of so my spell set up will not look like all the others here because i have 12 buttons on the side of my mouse.

note: Razer naga is very good for healing! because you don't have to push to buttons at the same time to cast a spell.

left holy shock
    right DL
    1 FoL
    2 Cleanse
    3 HL
    4 judge
    5 WoG
    6 HR
    7 Hammer og justice
    8 LoD
    9 Divine plea and trinket
    10 Divine shield