Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do some tanks still think healers have endless mana?

My 83 paladin has a 316 avg item level, reforged everything that didn't have spirit to get spirit, and can easily run a normal dungeon without stopping to drink more than once or twice if there's a big pull with no cc.

I ran Stonecore the other day and the level 82 DK tank didn't use CC on a single pull, just charged in and tried to tank everything. I kept the group alive all the way to Ozuruk. We did have one wipe when nobody killed the sentry and he pulled 3 additional groups onto us. Even then I kept everyone up until the 3rd group showed up. After we regrouped the tank pulled the last group before Ozuruk with one of the large brutish guys instead of just pulling the brute separate. I was low on mana (around 20%) after that pull and before I could even sit down to drink the tank ran straight into Ozuruk.

At this point I did everything I could to keep the tank up. I drank a mana pot, popped divine plea, and popped my BE racial to get as much mana as possible. Then the DK decided he was just going to run back into Ozuruk during every single Shatter as he was shouting in party chat "HEAL ME!". I had 1% mana by the 3rd Shatter, had already used Word of Glory and LoH and could do nothing but sit there and watch him die as he's still shouting "HEAL ME!". After he dies he starts ripping on me for being a lousy healer.

WTF?!?! How can someone that stupid have the mental capacity to even turn on their computer, let alone make it to level 82.

2 words: Wrath Syndrome
    uǝʞoɹq sı ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ʎɯ ʞuıɥʇ ı

Deleted
    I feel for you OP, when I've just had to spam flash heal on a trash pack fight and I'm running low on mana, I always say "oom" then start drinking immediately. If the tank runs off appearing to get ready for another pull, I leap of faith him back and say, "I'm still drinking". This usually wakes them up pretty quickly.

Because on my shaman at 83 i still had endless mana. It wasnt untill 84 that i started runing oom.

Quote Originally Posted by unconnected View Post
    I feel for you OP, when I've just had to spam flash heal on a trash pack fight and I'm running low on mana, I always say "oom" then start drinking immediately. If the tank runs off appearing to get ready for another pull, I leap of faith him back and say, "I'm still drinking". This usually wakes them up pretty quickly.
    When I saw him start running at the boss all I could do was shout in party chat "BOSS, OOM". But it was too late. Pallies do not have life grip so I couldn't do anything other than hope he would avoid the avoidable damage, which he did not do and seemingly on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because the tank is terrible and deserves a vote kick.
    [R] [80:Lingzhichen:2]: why is never peeple who are smart of the fighting
    [R] [80:Lingzhichen:2]: every time raiding
    [R] [80:Lingzhichen:2]: people are wheels on chair

(( Manapaws ))

You could have said something? :O

Sounds to me like you didn't even say "can we cc a few please?" or... "watch my mana." I say those phrases a lot. Like yesterday a tank pulled 2 groups in Stonecore Heroic with out marking or CCing. He said it was his first heroic so I decided to tell him we need to mark and CC and then it went smoothly from there with a few wipes every so often. (1st timer, what do you expect? Perfection??? >_<)

Anyways...you just expected your tank to know these things. I'm gonna have to put the blame on you unless of course you did speak to him. A lot of new things pop up in Cata dungeons....CC, Ooming and all kinds of stuff. In ALL previous dungeons those things aren't even touched upon or a problem. You have to open your mouth and point things out to people if it looks like they don't understand what the situation is like in Cataclysm instances.

EDIT: PEOPLE. Will you please stop posting "WRATH" and think that is the sole explanation of why people don't know about things like CCing and Healer mana.
    Last edited by Bombkirby; 2011-01-13 at 08:09 PM.

It is situations like the OP's where I just right-click my portrait and leave the group. 2 mins later I'm in another run, nothing lost but 2 minutes and a lot gained by no retard tank.

your tank started playing tank in wrath of the lich king

10+ Year Old Account
    Leap of Faith.

Best way to prevent these tanks from screwing everything up.

I'm not gonna put it on the healer, here. It is everyone's responsibility to be aware of what is going on. The tank should know he can't live without the healer, so he should keep at least a basic view on the healer's mana, as this is truly his lifeblood. Would a tank rush into a boss with half life? I would hope not. As such, he also should not run in when the healer has low mana, as healer mana translates directly into his health bar.

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MugenNoKaze View Post
    In defense of some wrath tanks(i also started back then as a dk and a druid) some of us actually DO look at mana in fact i've been criticized in low lv instances on my druid for waiting for mana or asking if everyone is set INSTEAD of gogogo. Nowadays i'm levelinga new DK to relearn tanking for cata and need to work on my druid. But yeah some of us who started in wrath actually encoruage CC even when not needed in low lv areas just to help people(myself included) get a feel for it. But alot of people just wanna faceroll till 85. Oh and i by no means am saying i'm a great or even necesarily good tank i've made my share of really really dumb mistakes like not quite being ready for heroics when queing on my dk or accidentally going in once i finally had the gear in dps gear and not noticing till 3rd wipe and leavng in embarrasmsment(last time i EVER que for a heroic when over half asleep at least as a tank or healer) and so on. But yeah not all wrath tanks are gogogo or mana what's mana. But i do also feel for the OP i was once in a heroic where the tank ahted CC so much he INTENTIONALLY broke it(as in charged the hexd mob when the pull was perfect and it would have left us alone) The one part of the instance we had more than one death at ironically enough.Heh somepeople just can't get that cc is needed some places and times and healers are not gods of life.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenNoKaze View Post
    This has nothing to do with anything at all. I know a Warrior tank who started during Wrath and he is one hell of a tank.
    That being said, He sounded like a troll tank to me. I feel for you whatever the case. Good luck in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    You could have said something? :O

Sounds to me like you didn't even say "can we cc a few please?" or... "watch my mana."

Anyways...you just expected your tank to know these things. I'm gonna have to put the blame on you unless of course you did speak to him. A lot of new things pop up in Cata dungeons....CC, Ooming and all kinds of stuff. In ALL previous dungeons those things aren't even touched upon or a problem
    If you want every detail...

After the first pull I said we needed to use CC on those larger packs with the earth shapers that morph and do massive AoE damage. I was ignored. After the second pull I stated again that we needed to use CC on the larger packs in order to conserve my mana. Two of the people in the group decided that they were just unable to CC things (a mage and a warlock). The tank would just mark skull and then drop DnD on the mobs. After a few packs I realized that I was able to handle the damage and just figured I would ride it out for awhile.

I did not just expect my tank to know these things, although he said he'd been in this dungeon before and if you've run any of the Cata dungeons at the appopriate level you should notice that runs go much more smoothly and typically quicker if you use CC on the 5+ mob packs as you are less likely to wipe and less likely to run the healer OOM on every other pull.

Also, in response to your comment about ALL previous dungeons not worrying about mana or CC...
    Perhaps you are forgetting that WoW has been out for over 6 years, not just since Wrath came out and in BC (especially a freshly dinged 70) mana and CC were a big problem. In fact, when MgT first came out many groups would not even attempt to run it on heroic without 3 strong CC classes or if they did try without good CC they simply wiped over and over in the courtyard before the 2nd to last boss, on the 2nd to last boss, or on the last pull before the last boss. Your argument is invalid. Same problem with Shattered Halls and Shadow Lab. Bad CC made it nearly impossible to finish those instances unless you severely outgeared them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbaclot View Post
    2 words: Wrath Syndrome
    it has been over a month

can we just claim all players are bad now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I run into more dps that do this than tanks. I had a rogue in a Stonecore the other day that just could not wait for the healer to get mana. He kept pulling, so I (and the healer) let him die repeatedly. He still kept saying "its easy just pull".

As for me, I do the first pull without CC now. I then judge how the rest of the instance will be completed. If the healer struggled (or we wiped) Ill set up CC marks dictated by how much said healer struggled. If it all goes well I will whisper him and say "if you want CC from here on out, lemme know."

My favorite quot from heroics is this:

Prot paladin is tranking Dragon boss (2nd boss) in Stonecore, when he does crystal storm

He stands in it an continues to tank and dies

He tells our healer that he needs to heal him through it...I loled...

15+ Year Old Account
    I just don't heal people like that, or I yell at them from the start, or well, kick them.

Deleted
    Because some people have forgotten what the word tank means.

because "some tanks" are wrath babies who refuse to accept the reality that the game has changed on them. Every time there is a major change in the game there are people who cling to the old way.