Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient GHP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere!
    Posts
    292

    Murder rates, Canada VS United States.

    as the title explains, Why is it that the United states have more murders? Is it because of firearms, population or politics you tell me

    I'm not trying to make a flamewar or anything like who's better the who I just want to know the General populations opinion please keep it clean

    here's the Average Murder rates (sorry for 2010 missing)
    http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/legal12a-eng.htm <-Canada
    http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/off...rtable_08.html <-United States

  2. #2
    Bloodsail Admiral Toho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    under your bed
    Posts
    990
    we have to fix those statistics a bit and i am kind of lazy at the moment.

    someone get the population in each year in every province or state mentioned and calculate how many people are being murdered according to their respective population

    if we have a village with 20 people inside and 4 of them die each year and a village with 15 000 people where 300 of them die each year then it is obvious the village of 20 people has the bigger problem.

  3. #3
    Dreadlord Forgottenone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Raven Hill, Duskwood
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by toho View Post
    we have to fix those statistics a bit and i am kind of lazy at the moment.

    someone get the population in each year in every province or state mentioned and calculate how many people are being murdered according to their respective population

    if we have a village with 20 people inside and 4 of them die each year and a village with 15 000 people where 300 of them die each year then it is obvious the village of 20 people has the bigger problem.
    I agree with toho, I heard something that if Canada and the US had the exact same population that Canada would have a way higher murder rate. Being Canadian it is kind of easy to tell that you can't compare rates without looking at populations first.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by GHP View Post
    as the title explains, Why is it that the United states have more murders? Is it because of firearms, population or politics you tell me

    I'm not trying to make a flamewar or anything like who's better the who I just want to know the General populations opinion please keep it clean

    here's the Average Murder rates (sorry for 2010 missing)
    http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/legal12a-eng.htm <-Canada
    http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/off...rtable_08.html <-United States
    For those too lazy to do the math, the results given, along with a google-generated population of the US and Canada, put Canada's murder rate at about 0.00001, and the United States' at about 0.00004. Obviously they vary some by year, but I used the google-generated number and an eyeballed average of 600 murders per year in Canada, and 14,000 per year in the US.

    So you're 4x as likely to get shanked. At least we have California sun.

  5. #5
    The Patient GHP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere!
    Posts
    292
    at the moment canada has about 34,000,000 and the United states has about 311,881,000 so right there there is a 10x increase in population so if you take the the Canadian's murders and times that by 10 thats a reference of how much we would have if they did have about the same population (it's not going to be exact but it should be close enough to com pair)
    that would be about 6100 murders compaired to 13,000 so theres at least double the murders if the population was the same
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
    Last edited by GHP; 2011-01-13 at 07:09 PM.

  6. #6
    Firearms and general attitude. I wouldn't be surprised if many of Canada's murders happen due to American influence (TV shows, American aggressive politics, the useless wars America picks i.e. Iraq not afganistan) because we are so close, sadly there is no way to prove that.

    Not saying all Americans are jerks either but the general portrayal that they exude to the world is of their own doing. Also with relatively limited gun control and no free healthcare the maniacs that most likely shoot their own family over burglars probably die more often because of America's uncaring health system (either that or they go into poverty then likely become more violent)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GHP View Post
    as the title explains, Why is it that the United states have more murders? Is it because of firearms, population or politics you tell me

    I'm not trying to make a flamewar or anything like who's better the who I just want to know the General populations opinion please keep it clean

    here's the Average Murder rates (sorry for 2010 missing)
    http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/legal12a-eng.htm <-Canada
    http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/off...rtable_08.html <-United States
    Canada Murder Average: 600/year

    U.S. Murder Average: 14,500/year

    Canada Population: 33.8 million

    U.S. Registered Population: 307 million

    Canada Murder Percentile: 1.775%
    U.S. Murder Percentile: 4.72%

    Over double, Yes. but much more clear than comparing 600 to 14,500.

    There is uncomparably more rural area in canada than amercia, so people are less inclined to kill for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifer2005
    Turning Off Experience has ruined BGs!

  8. #8
    Fire arm access + social issues basicaly.

  9. #9
    If it does turn out that the US has a higher rate of this crime, i would believe it.

    It seems the US has the most trafficking or illegal drugs and people in thew world.

    Really, a control on guns in a place this large will result in only the bad guys having them.

    Edit: Doesn't the US have like 10 times the population of Canada though?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancowski View Post
    If it does turn out that the US has a higher rate of this crime, i would believe it.

    It seems the US has the most trafficking or illegal drugs and people in thew world.

    Really, a control on guns in a place this large will result in only the bad guys having them.

    Edit: Doesn't the US have like 10 times the population of Canada though?
    Well we've had this discussion before and its on both good and bad. Take away guns from people and you'll see a decrease in gun violence but some of you Americans feel really threatened it seems and feel like you need your AKs in your closet.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobzor View Post
    Well we've had this discussion before and its on both good and bad. Take away guns from people and you'll see a decrease in gun violence but some of you Americans feel really threatened it seems and feel like you need your AKs in your closet.
    You say that as if every American has an automatic weapon.

    Personally i own a 22 single action Ruger pistol and a Browning 12guage shot gun.
    Both of which are older than both of us.

    But, it is true that if you take the guns away you will see a decrease in gun related violence.

    But you can't take them away from everyone.

    In a perfect world nobody would be hurting others, but just in case i have something to persuade who ever is potentially attempting to hurt my family, otherwise.
    They sit in my gunsafe until then.

    Saw my mother beaten badly by a home intruder, and my great aunt was almost raped in her house. Ill keep a firearm to stop this if it happens again.
    Last edited by Mancowski; 2011-01-13 at 08:07 PM.

  12. #12
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    1,268
    We have more people.

  13. #13
    Scarab Lord Azalu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,769
    Quote Originally Posted by cfeuer1 View Post
    There is uncomparably more rural area in canada than amercia, so people are less inclined to kill for something
    I think that's a very strong point. Smaller towns have less murder rates not because of population but because people are less inclined to violence when they feel more intimate with the community.

  14. #14
    Guns aren't the main issue. Urban blight is the main issue. Canada has a tiny population comparatively, with far fewer inner city cesspits.

    Those cesspits are what kills the US' average I'll wager. Urban blight divided into racial enclaves breeds violence and poverty. A more homogeneous population with far fewer numbers overall will of course seem more peaceful.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancowski View Post
    It seems the US has the most trafficking or illegal drugs and people in thew world.
    Although drugs do appear to be popular here, the above claim is overstatement of the year. Mexico has huge portions of its country shut down entirely due to drug lords. Many South American countries, such as Brazil and Colombia, are notorious for drug problems.

    United States has issues, but nothing that is currently paralyzing the entire country.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancowski View Post
    You say that as if every American has an automatic weapon.

    Personally i own a 22 single action Ruger pistol and a Browning 12guage shot gun.
    Both of which are older than both of us.

    But, it is true that if you take the guns away you will see a decrease in gun related violence.

    But you can't take them away from everyone.
    Given, But what kind of people are you afraid of? The mob? Or just your avarage robber/burglar? The majority of your avarage criminal wouldn't have access to weapons. At least that's how it works in other countries.

  17. #17
    The US is a big country, but tell me, which do you think brings up the murder rate? Rural Oklahoma/Montana/Wyoming, or cities like Detroit, New Orleans, and Chicago?

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord Azalu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,769
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    The US is a big country, but tell me, which do you think brings up the murder rate? Rural Oklahoma/Montana/Wyoming, or cities like Detroit, New Orleans, and Chicago?
    D.C apparantly is really bad for crimerates
    New York surprisingly is one of the best ones because of the major's tough stance on crime

  19. #19
    You people are mostly all idiots. If you multiply a population by some value (in this case, making Canada's population equal to the US) changes the sample size.

    Murder rates, however, is a proportion. A ratio. If you multiply the denominator of a ratio (the population), you also must multiply the numerator.

    Fail less at both statistics and gradeschool math, thank you.
    χειμερινός εἰμί

  20. #20
    I've heard NYC has improved a lot. DC doesn't surprise me one bit. It's filled with crooks and murderers, elected and unelected.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •